Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jan 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #5,431 of 9,207
Quote:
OK, been reading about what amp I should get with my LCD2 and I currently feel like I'm playing chess with my wallet. Its a bit of a tough one really... my budget for the amp is $200 and that's already 100% up from the original budget. I do realize how much of a difference a proper amp can make to the sound of the LCDs but that doesn't change the fact that I simply can't afford it. That said I'm looking for an amp that will squeeze as much sonic juice out of my cans without going above my price limit. I work as a producer, making bass-heavy music so heavily rely on my monitoring system for my mixes. That means I'm aiming to get a balanced and dynamic sound with clear transients and minimal spectral distortion. Luckily I have a fairly decent audio interface so at least I don't have to worry about DAC.
I know it sounds like I'm trying to do the impossible here but I really am in a tough situation money-wise. 
I'm currently looking at Hifiman EF2A,O2, VCan, Little Dot, ect but I can't judge the sound without hearing them. Really hope you can help me with this as I'm pretty badly versed in amps. 

Thanks. 

It depends weather you need an internal dac, which some of these do. There's a used EF2A for $129 right now on eBay, and you get a DAC. The V-can is has a got TONS of volume. The little dot, at least the MKII, claims to have gain control options that lets you be able to use it with any headphone. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #5,432 of 9,207
I would personally stay away from OTL amps like the little dot mkii and iii, they have have got lots of voltage which is great for high impedance cans like the 650, but the LCD2's are only 50 ohms and require lots of current to shine. If you are to go with tubes I'd suggest a hybrid such as the Lyr. Or even the little dot mk1+ on the budget scale.  

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #5,433 of 9,207
Quote:
I would personally stay away from OTL amps like the little dot mkii and iii, they have have got lots of voltage which is great for high impedance cans like the 650, but the LCD2's are only 50 ohms and require lots of current to shine. If you are to go with tubes I'd suggest a hybrid such as the Lyr. Or even the little dot mk1+ on the budget scale.  

I really didn't like it with the Lyr, lifeless and missing a lot (but that's just my opinion). I can't say I've found a tube amp that makes it sound as good as the V200 and I've heard quite a lot

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #5,434 of 9,207
Quote:

I really didn't like it with the Lyr, lifeless and missing a lot (but that's just my opinion). I can't say I've found a tube amp that makes it sound as good as the V200 and I've heard quite a lot

Yeah, to be fair I much prefer SS with orthos. Especially the LCD2's. They really don't benefit from any added colour from tubes. I think they benefit from the speed and attack that you only get from a good SS amp.

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #5,436 of 9,207
Quote:
Yeah, to be fair I much prefer SS with orthos. Especially the LCD2's. They really don't benefit from any added colour from tubes. I think they benefit from the speed and attack that you only get from a good SS amp.

How about a good portable amp with plug in and a battery? Maybe that would give a more consistent current from a cheap source?

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #5,437 of 9,207
Quote:
How about a good portable amp with plug in and a battery? Maybe that would give a more consistent current from a cheap source?

Absolutely. I've tried my LCD's on a little Necosoundlabs portable and they sounded great. Cmoy amps can provide a lot of current for low imp phones, I could'nt get passed 8'oclock on the dial on mine!

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #5,438 of 9,207
I just bought the Red Wine Audio Bellina HPA ( DAC/AMP with SE + Balanced output).  Will it be a good amp for the LCD ?  Has someone own or tested its predecessor, the Isabellina HPA ? 

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #5,439 of 9,207
Quote:
I just bought the Red Wine Audio Bellina HPA ( DAC/AMP with SE + Balanced output).  Will it be a good amp for the LCD ?  Has someone own or tested its predecessor, the Isabellina HPA ? 

From what I've read, It'll be glorious 
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #5,440 of 9,207
The Corvina SE sounded very nice with lcd-2.2. Like a sweeter more euphonic Burson Soloist.
So I'd imagine your 5W balanced version with its made to match dac will sound amazing.
There are reviews of the Isabellina if you seach headfi. It should just be an improvement on that.
Look forward to your impressions.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #5,443 of 9,207
Guys I just bought myself a pair of second hand LCD 2.2s, and I now I'm also in the market for an amp to power these bad boys as well! I've tried reading through the 300+ pages of this thread but I don't really have the time... So, as of now, what is the best $1000 amp for the LCD 2.2? I won't really need a DAC I already have a pretty capable one, so a standalone amp is fine, but if there is a DAC/amp combo so good that I NEED to get it I would consider it :) Thanks in advance!

Side Note: I also kinda need this amp to power my other headphone, a HD650. From what I've heard amps like the Schiit Lyr and Burson Soloist the like are good options, but I like having more options :D

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #5,445 of 9,207
Quote:
Guys I just bought myself a pair of second hand LCD 2.2s, and I now I'm also in the market for an amp to power these bad boys as well! I've tried reading through the 300+ pages of this thread but I don't really have the time... So, as of now, what is the best $1000 amp for the LCD 2.2? I won't really need a DAC I already have a pretty capable one, so a standalone amp is fine, but if there is a DAC/amp combo so good that I NEED to get it I would consider it :) Thanks in advance!

Side Note: I also kinda need this amp to power my other headphone, a HD650. From what I've heard amps like the Schiit Lyr and Burson Soloist the like are good options, but I like having more options :D

For sub 1K amps my vote would got to the Mjolnir to pair with the LCD-2.2s.  The BHA-1 is another good option a little above the 1K mark.  Of course the Soloist would be good as well.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back