Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Feb 26, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #5,521 of 9,207
Right now I have a magni/modi with LCD-2.  It sounds good, but I feel like there's more potential in these cans.
I have a $1000 limit for a DAC and an Amp.
I've read through this forum, but there's just so many mixed opinions.

To anyone that has heard multiple amps/dacs, what would you recommend if I am looking for a more detailed and articulate sound with really good instrument separation.  Transparency of course, and nothing that will make the treble more forward as I'm pretty sensitive to that.
Thanks!!

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #5,522 of 9,207
Quote:
Right now I have a magni/modi with LCD-2.  It sounds good, but I feel like there's more potential in these cans.
I have a $1000 limit for a DAC and an Amp.
I've read through this forum, but there's just so many mixed opinions.

To anyone that has heard multiple amps/dacs, what would you recommend if I am looking for a more detailed and articulate sound with really good instrument separation.  Transparency of course, and nothing that will make the treble more forward as I'm pretty sensitive to that.
Thanks!!

Oh, and I'm seriously considering the Mjolnir, but then what DAC would I get with the $250 left over?  I mean I could push it to maybe $450 for the DAC, but is there anything that would be considerably better than the modi I have?

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #5,523 of 9,207
Oh, and I'm seriously considering the Mjolnir, but then what DAC would I get with the $250 left over?  I mean I could push it to maybe $450 for the DAC, but is there anything that would be considerably better than the modi I have?

The Gungnir is considerably better than the Bifrost, so I'd imagine there is a fair bit of performance difference between Modi and Bifrost.

If you can push it, I honestly recommend the HRT MSII+. It's probably the last DAC you'll ever need and I've been saying this over the last couple years.

If you are wondering if the Mjolnir is good, it absolutely is. I purchased it based on some findings that perhaps it was better than some of the Beta22 builds that exceed $1200 in price, so based on that I was immediately sold on it.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #5,524 of 9,207
Quote:

How about this one.

http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tubemagic_d2

Or if you need to go balanced how about this one.    http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xda2

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #5,525 of 9,207
Feb 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #5,526 of 9,207
Does the new Taboo revision no longer 'need' a pre-amp?  They don't seem to mention it as much in the description any more.

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #5,527 of 9,207
Steve mentioned on the Decware forum that it's not 'needed' now.

[quote="Steve]
As a stand alone product, the fact that it worked better with a preamp or high output DAC was a deal killer for many people, so that's one of the main things I changed about it, giving it enough gain on it's own now, so that the CSP2+ preamp is no longer needed for best results.[/quote]

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #5,528 of 9,207
Oh awesome, that does make it instantly more tempting.  Thanks.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #5,530 of 9,207
I talked to Steve about the pre-amp combo, since I have the CSP2+ already. He said that you would blend the volume controls of the two units to personal taste rather than the Pre-amp being the only volume control as normal.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #5,533 of 9,207
Feb 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #5,534 of 9,207
^ very tempted to order, but still exploring the limits of the previous Taboo. And yes, Steve upped the gain so a preamp is no longer needed - although it wasn't essential before. (I found taboo alone very transparent, with further tube-rolling needed to retain this transparency once I added the csp2).

As well, I think Steve has altered the power profile to suit magneplanars better - taboo was originally a pure speaker amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back