Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Feb 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #5,510 of 9,207
^

The previous page (post number 5504) mentions the DACmini CX at 800 $ (which is recommended by HeadphoneAddict).

That would leave you 200 $ to re-cable your LCD-2s.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #5,512 of 9,207
I have ~$1000 to spend on an amp and dac for the LCD-2s.  Tell me what to buy because I'm ******* sick of researching.

I would try that Woo Audio WA7. Thats probably the most interesting product I've seen in a long time and I haven't heard a bad product from them.

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #5,513 of 9,207
Quote:
I would try that Woo Audio WA7. Thats probably the most interesting product I've seen in a long time and I haven't heard a bad product from them.. I had heard that a if you are going to Tubes with the LCD-2 you are better off going with a Hybrid design or Solid State.  Same goes for the HE500s... Not sure if that's true, but a LOT of folks are saying it is... 

Is that a pure Tube amp or a hybrid? I thought I'd read that hybrids or SS amps are the way to go for LCD-2 and HE500 type headphones. Not sure how true it is, but I've seen a lot of people recommend them... 

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #5,515 of 9,207
Quote:
^

The previous page (post number 5504) mentions the DACmini CX at 800 $ (which is recommended by HeadphoneAddict).

That would leave you 200 $ to re-cable your LCD-2s.

I just ordered one from Amazon and should be here tomorrow. Heard many great things about that DAC/Amp combo. I just hope it's got enough power. It's about 1.5 watts total. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #5,516 of 9,207
Quote:
What about a bifrost and a lyr? I thought they sounded great with an lcd-3 I had to try a few weeks ago..

While I would say that the Lyr is a great option for the LCD-2s, I was never happy with it and the LCD-3s after hearing it paired with better amps (B22/WA22/LF/GS-X).

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #5,517 of 9,207
Quote:
While I would say that the Lyr is a great option for the LCD-2s, I was never happy with it and the LCD-3s after hearing it paired with better amps (B22/WA22/LF/GS-X).

I would think it's not ideal but within a budget it could work for someone I guess. Btw, out of all the amps you've tried with the lcd-3s, which gave you the smoothest non-fatiguing sound with them, even at the expense of uttermost detail? I'm finding my mjolnir a little too forward and hard, making my ears hurt a bit. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #5,518 of 9,207
Quote:
I would think it's not ideal but within a budget it could work for someone I guess. Btw, out of all the amps you've tried with the lcd-3s, which gave you the smoothest non-fatiguing sound with them, even at the expense of uttermost detail? I'm finding my mjolnir a little too forward and hard, making my ears hurt a bit. 

The Lyr is certainly a worthy short term solution with the LCD-3s. Honestly, the best I've heard the LCD-3s is now with my GS-X since I popped in the upgrade modules. The extra power put the finishing touches on them. Honorable mention goes to the Liquid Fire w/ a quad of E88CC Siemens tubes. The MJ is an agressive amp from what I hear...either you love it or you don't. As well, don't forget to look upstream (DAC / Source) and some burn-in too should help.

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #5,520 of 9,207
HRT MSII+
Burson Soloist

This is currently my favorite setup for under $1000 until I've heard the V200 which is supposedly also a wonderamp for LCD-2's.

Over $1000, I could really only speak on what I have now, which is wonderful but I don't know if you want to embark on the journey of getting balanced cables for the LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back