amp for HD650's
Nov 6, 2007 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Chris5689

New Head-Fier
I'm going to be buying HD650's soon but I don't know what amp to get for it.
The most I would pay is $300 but I'd like to get one for less. The only one I have in mind right now is the Headphonia Headstage Lyrix Pro total for $179. If it has anything to do with it, I listen to rock music mainly.

Also, does anyone know of a site where I can get good quality interconnects (6.3 and 3.5mm) for about $50?, I don't care how long they are.

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 14
What sort of 6.3 mm interconnect do you need?

What source will you be using?

Don't overspend on interconnects now.....headphones first, source second, amp third, interconnects a distant fourth.

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 14
Can you get a Heed for $300? I believe the retail price has risen since the initial release. I don't know much about the used market though.

pianomav I think you have my ideal setup in your sig. I don't suppose you have a review of your DAC1, GS-X, HD650 setup somewhere lurking for me to read?
600smile.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris5689 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which amp do you think is better of the 3:

Headamp Gilmore Lite
Ray Samuels The Tomahawk
Practical Devices XM4 with AD8620

Go read the 'disturbing trend' thread.

Gilmore Lite btw.

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

I'm going to be buying HD650's soon but I don't know what amp to get for it.
The most I would pay is $300 but I'd like to get one for less. The only one I have in mind right now is the Headphonia Headstage Lyrix Pro total for $179. If it has anything to do with it, I listen to rock music mainly.

Also, does anyone know of a site where I can get good quality interconnects (6.3 and 3.5mm) for about $50?, I don't care how long they are.

Is portability a must? There are lots of recommendations both portable and desktop. Which are you looking for, or had you considered this?

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is portability a must? There are lots of recommendations both portable and desktop. Which are you looking for, or had you considered this?

No, I don't really care about portability.

I like the Gilmore Lite because, from what I've heard, it sounds really good, looks nice, and isn't too expensive. I would hate to pay all this money and have some plastic amp sitting beside my $500 headphones, even if it were better.

Also, what is it that actually makes the Gilmore Lite good?, I don't know much about amplifiers yet since I've never owned one.

I can't find very detailed specs on the internals, when I look at other amps on their website they give you details about the opamp, or rail splitter, or pcb.

Is it because I have been researching portable amps? Are they made differently?

As I said, I'm new to this so I'm looking for information to make a good decision.

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

No, I don't really care about portability.

I like the Gilmore Lite because, from what I've heard, it sounds really good, looks nice, and isn't too expensive. I would hate to pay all this money and have some plastic amp sitting beside my $500 headphones, even if it were better.

Also, what is it that actually makes the Gilmore Lite good?, I don't know much about amplifiers yet since I've never owned one.

I can't find very detailed specs on the internals, when I look at other amps on their website they give you details about the opamp, or rail splitter, or pcb.

Is it because I have been researching portable amps? Are they made differently?

As I said, I'm new to this so I'm looking for information to make a good decision.

The reason you won't find info about an op-amp on the Gilmore Lite is because it doesn't use one, it's a professionally-finished version of the Dynalo which is a discrete circuit. More info on the Dynalo here: http://www.djgardner.com/headphone/gilmore/

The GL is a good amp because it provides clean, transparent sound in a compact form factor. Three minor colorations (can seem bright, forward in upper-mids, and a small mid-bass bump) but otherwise it's mostly a wire with gain. It's also a high-voltage, high-current amp and easily drives both low- and high-impedance headphones (and its default gain is well suited for both too).

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #12 of 14
After a lot of reading on these forums and after around 6 months, I made a decision and recently placed my order for the Gilmore Lite to pair with my HD650's. I haven't received it yet, but will surely post my opinions once I get it.

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't overspend on interconnects now.....headphones first, source second, amp third, interconnects a distant fourth.

i would put the amp FAR more important than the source with the HD-650. they can do amazing things with a good amp and a decent CD player.

put ANY cd player you want in front of a mediocre amp and the hd-650 are a turd-pile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back