Am I the Only Person Out There That Prefers Dynamic IEMs Over Armature IEMs?
Dec 15, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #76 of 128
Bassinmyface I live near you and have W4/ UM3X / HF5 and SM3 v2 I will let you try any of them if you let me try the FX700. 

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #78 of 128

Quote:
I figure this is a good thread to ask, have any of you tried the Atrio M5 with MG7 drivers compared to the JVC FXT90?

I have owned the MG7 in the past and have another pair coming and also own the FXT90.  The FXT90 is brighter and clearer over all with greater treble presence and a mid centric sound.  The MG7 has laid back treble, slightly dry mids that, to me, are not forward or recessed and of course it has stellar sub bass.  I think the FXT90 is technically better and more musical but it fits my preferences better.  Someone else may disagree.

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #79 of 128
In my case, it looks like my ears don't seem to know how to cope with several armatures delivering parts of the full spectrum (crossover or not).
Dynamic driver IEMs sound more natural (to me, I insist), whereas anything beyond one armature sounds like stripes of sound badly patched together.
I could only keep my TripleFis 10 for a month, I was only hearing a mess, especially in the mids, although they are recognized as very good IEMs.

But again, these are just my ears, I'm sure multi-BA IEMs sound nice to other people, otherwise they would not sell so well.

This I agree with. My preference so far is that I prefer dynamic, then single BA then multiple BA. I returned the TF10 the same day I got it.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #81 of 128

Quote:
I have owned the MG7 in the past and have another pair coming and also own the FXT90.  The FXT90 is brighter and clearer over all with greater treble presence and a mid centric sound.  The MG7 has laid back treble, slightly dry mids that, to me, are not forward or recessed and of course it has stellar sub bass.  I think the FXT90 is technically better and more musical but it fits my preferences better.  Someone else may disagree.

Thanks for the comparison

Quote:
This I agree with. My preference so far is that I prefer dynamic, then single BA then multiple BA. I returned the TF10 the same day I got it.

Interesting that you say single BA over multi, have you heard any BA with dual low drivers?

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #82 of 128

Quote:

There aren't any universal dynamic IEMs that are considered better than those two, correct?  They are the top-of-the-top I believe?

Keep in mind, it's all debatable and personal preferences are king.

I let a girlfriend take a good long listen with the Sony Ex1000 and the FS Atrio with MG7 driver a while back. She said the Atrio was better than the ex1000 for classical music, but she liked the ex1000 for rock. So, what is really top-of-the-line is a bit more relative than I think people on head-fi often realize.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #83 of 128
No. I've not heard an armature IEM that impresses me as much as the RE-262, though some definitely come close.

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #84 of 128
Hybrids for me now, will never go back to just one or the other. Hate the high end sound of almost every dynamic I've ever heard, but feel like BAs are missing that genuine thump of low end.

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #85 of 128
If you think what follows is dumb, I'm sorry. It's just my opinion:

I think in general I like the cohesiveness of dynamics and the technicality of balanced armatures. Dynamics are easier for me to fall in love with and balanced easier to be wowed by. From my first experience with a moving armature, moving armatures are truly distinct though. The Grado GR10 is as cohesive as a dynamic and as technical as balanced armatures. Very impressive. I find it competes with both top-tier dynamics and balanced armatures and blends some of what both do best.

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #86 of 128

Quote:
Hate the high end sound of almost every dynamic I've ever heard, but feel like BAs are missing that genuine thump of low end.

I would recommend a break from the BA's. If you have a little break and then listen for an extended period to dynamic its not so bad, quite enjoyable to hear the differences actually. I love the highs so much on BA's though, I know where you are coming from. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #87 of 128
User preferences:I would accept both BAs and dynamic they would serve a common cause to deliver music to the next level 
biggrin.gif
 I tried Weston3 they were good and very unique sound signature then I tried Weston4 its something new to my ears as well though the expectation result need to be appreciated. After testing out these BAs I went back to my IE8 I love its sound signature. So it can be possible for one to like two different type.

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #88 of 128
I agree with you 100%, I'm listening to house music on my IE8's right now because my TF10's are on return. Although overall I could go either way unless the house includes female vocals. With those in the picture I will always reach for the TF10's. The IE8's really do have an incredible soundstage though. At first when I got my TF10's I thought the IE8's were to grainy in comparison afterward but after A/Bing with extended periods of listening dedicated to each I appreciate both for their own merits. I have always loved my IE8's, there has never been a time where I popped them in and got disappointed. I really feel the soundstage is pretty impressive on the TF10's though being a BA and all. It's enough that I can listen for extended periods and not miss the soundstage of my IE8's, I think that's pretty good for BA. Can't wait for the reshell though. Also waiting for someone to do the UM reshell of the IE8's that adds a mids and a highs BA and uses the dynamic for lows. Could change it all together but it might be really awesome at the same time IMO. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #90 of 128
Dual lows doesn't mean it will be bass heavy, often times it is to provide more headroom. Take the W4s for examples, it has 2 drivers for lows and is anything but bassy compared to the W3s, which has 1 low driver and is much bassier. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back