Am I the Only Person Out There That Prefers Dynamic IEMs Over Armature IEMs?
Dec 4, 2011 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 128

BassInMyFace

100+ Head-Fier
I was just given the opportunity to demo multiple high-end armature IEMs with lossless files for a fair amount of time.  I was able to listen to the W4, W3, SE535, TF10, and X10.  After listening to each one of them, I went back to listen to my own personal favorite dynamic IEM, the FX700.  I found myself liking the signature of my dynamic IEMs more than the armature IEMs.  Personally, I have always loved the fun, warm sound of a dynamic IEM (especially with the exceptional sound quality of the newer flagship dynamic models).  The armature IEMs were very analytical and lacking character in my opinion. 

I was under the impression that the armature IEMs were superior to dynamic IEMs based on multiple reasons.  Most, if not all, serious IEM manufacturers utilize them for their high-end models, but in my opinion, soundstages, separation, clarity, and timbre were very similarly comparible.  The armature IEMs' only "pro" over the dynamic IEMs in my opinion was their superior isolation.  Why do most IEM manufacturers choose armature drivers over dynamic drivers?  Am I missing something here?

The high-end dynamic IEMs' overall sound quality is equal and comparible to the armature IEMs in my opinion (except for the full customs I'm sure).  I understand that this is a subjective statement, but I guess I'm just curious if I am the only person that feels like this and prefers dynamic IEMs over armature IEMs? Does anyone else agree and feel the same?

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 128
I don't think most people prefer BA IEMs over dynamic ones. The consensus is that the two types of drivers really articulate sound in different ways with completely different feels to the sound. I think you would find that the most experienced listeners here like IEMs of both types and don't really try to play favorites, as it really is a moot point.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 128

Quote:
I don't think most people prefer BA IEMs over dynamic ones. The consensus is that the two types of drivers really articulate sound in different ways with completely different feels to the sound. I think you would find that the most experienced listeners here like IEMs of both types and don't really try to play favorites, as it really is a moot point.

I definitely agree with this. Dynamics and BAs have a very unique sound that is not necessarily "better" than the other, but sounds different. I enjoy both of them.

However, I must say that it is more difficult to execute a very good sounding multiple-BA IEM than it is to execute a very good sounding single dynamic driver IEM. The reason for this being the crossover and the amount of tuning required for BAs. But once it's done well, BAs can sound mighty amazing (my JH16s amaze me every time I put them on).

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 128
I prefer dynamics myself but agree with Tomscy2000 that for most experienced head-Fi members neither is truly thought of as better than the other more just different.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 128
In certain situations, SQ scales linearally with isolation. Since I'm in such a situation, dynamics are seriously disadvantaged for my purposes.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 128
I too generally prefer dynamic drivers over BAs, especially if it's only a single or double BA. However, there are a couple triple BAs that I'm very fond of and think are equal to the top tier dynamics I own, with my preference still leaning towards dynamics.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 128
Quote:

You said it perfectly.  I understand their intents now.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 128
Quote:
I too generally prefer dynamic drivers over BAs, especially if it's only a single or double BA. However, there are a couple triple BAs that I'm very fond of and think are equal to the top tier dynamics I own, with my preference still leaning towards dynamics.

Which armature IEMs would that be?  I can see that you are a fan of the FX700.  That IEM is my favorite I have ever heard - whether dynamic or armature.  Are there any armatures that you feel are comparible in sound signature to the FX700?  I've tried those armatures listed in my first post and like the sound signature of the FX700 more still.  If I can get the FX700 with the isolation of an armature, I would probably retire from this hunt for the perfect IEM
beerchug.gif

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 128
I'm a fan of dynamic over armatures. For me, dynamics are usually just more fun to listen to and gives me that extra satisfaction I don't get from armatures. I also prefer a more musical, fun sound over a bright, analytical sound.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #10 of 128
I have heard all the BAs you listed in the first post and the entire Westone line up(True-Fit series and UM series), being quite fond of the W3 and UM3X, although the UM3X ended up being too boring as it's not very colored. I also demo-ed the TF10 a while back and thought it was a very capable IEM with fit issues. The FX700 is also my favourite universal and I still have not found anything that is equal to them. I don't think any BAs will ever match the FX700 because some traits of the FX700 are clearly characteristics found on of dynamic drivers. All dynamics seem to sound more natural to me with BAs sounding very artificial when I A/B between them. They also tend to have more oomph and more reverb than BAs I've listened to.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #11 of 128
I think I am coming to the same conclusion.

Can you all please provide recommendations for Dynamic IEMs for around $200 or less?

Thanks.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #13 of 128
Dec 4, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #15 of 128
^ I agree these are all great options 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back