Am I the Only Person Out There That Prefers Dynamic IEMs Over Armature IEMs?
Dec 24, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #121 of 128

Quote:
Well, here's my take on the Yamahas. I haven't heard the EtyKids, but I definitely prefer the EPH-100 over the Ety MC3/5.

Just read it. Awesome, I'm really anticipating the full review, James. Maybe you'll do a big comparison article like you did with the FAD, Grado's, and Ortofon's? 
smile.gif

Dec 26, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #122 of 128
Quote:
Just read it. Awesome, I'm really anticipating the full review, James. Maybe you'll do a big comparison article like you did with the FAD, Grado's, and Ortofon's? 
smile.gif

Thanks, we'll see about a full review... sadly, atm I neither have enough spare time for proper writeups, nor suitable phones to compare the Yamahas to. Those FADs, Grados and Ortofons are all on a similar level (I see you have most of them, btw :wink:, so it made sense. But I'll gladly lend my EPH-100 to any fellow Head-Fier who has some of the other micro-drivers and wants to do a comparison.

Dec 26, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #123 of 128
new here, can someone direct me to a thread explaining to me in detail the difference between dynamic, and armature types iem? thanks in advance...

Dec 26, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #124 of 128

Quote:
Although I haven't heard the new Yamahas, I have heard the CC51 and they are nothing like it.  The CC51 has a relatively deep V in it while the Etymotics focus mainly on mids :p

Haven't heard the CC51s but the Yamahas are definitely not on the V side, they have strong mids and bass with lighter treble (strikingly obvious when compared to FX700s).
I wouldn't say they're completely flat, but they don't show this big juicy V that I sometimes appreciate for specific music.

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #125 of 128

Quote:
Haven't heard the CC51s but the Yamahas are definitely not on the V side, they have strong mids and bass with lighter treble (strikingly obvious when compared to FX700s).
I wouldn't say they're completely flat, but they don't show this big juicy V that I sometimes appreciate for specific music.

EtyKids have heavy treble almost as heavy as the mid-range :p 

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #126 of 128

Quote:
new here, can someone direct me to a thread explaining to me in detail the difference between dynamic, and armature types iem? thanks in advance...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones#Technology

A dynamic driver is a moving coil as the BA is the balanced armature.

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #127 of 128

Quote:

agree.
that's what ive read.
cc51 maybe is more balanced but a little edgy on the highs.
the yamaha's are more mid and bass focused, and a bit balanced too.

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #128 of 128

Quote:
agree.
that's what ive read.
cc51 maybe is more balanced but a little edgy on the highs.
the yamaha's are more mid and bass focused, and a bit balanced too.

CC51 is not balanced...  Really recessed mids really take away any possible balance :p  So from what I understand, CC51s and and these Yamahas are on opposite ends of the spectrum :p  One is mid-recessed and one is more mid-focused.  A decent balance would be a cross between the two then :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back