AKG K812 Pro
Jan 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #661 of 4,825
Also in my experience long listening sessions with T1, T90 (extrem sharp highs), DT 880 or HD-800 makes my ears hurt, but for the first 1/2 hour they are ok. With K812 Pro and Stax isn´t this a problem i can hear both over many hours without any problem.

I found the T1 and many Beyers to have a big spike in the upper treble, to me this comes off as brightness and sharpness, other people don't even seem to notice this and say the headphones are on the dark side. The HD 800 was just plain bright to me with an emphasis in a larger region of the treble than that of the T1 so it fatigued me really quickly in only like 10-15 minutes, some systems I could listen to the HD 800 longer but never much longer than 30 minutes. I'm still waiting to hear the K812, I have heard the bass heavy K1000 and was thoroughly impressed, I hope the K812 impresses me as well. It seems the K812 is picky with systems like basically every other AKGs.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #662 of 4,825
I found the T1 and many Beyers to have a big spike in the upper treble, to me this comes off as brightness and sharpness, other people don't even seem to notice this and say the headphones are on the dark side. The HD 800 was just plain bright to me with an emphasis in a larger region of the treble than that of the T1 so it fatigued me really quickly in only like 10-15 minutes, some systems I could listen to the HD 800 longer but never much longer than 30 minutes. I'm still waiting to hear the K812, I have heard the bass heavy K1000 and was thoroughly impressed, I hope the K812 impresses me as well. It seems the K812 is picky with systems like basically every other AKGs.

I totally agree! About the K-1000 I've heard only the light bass version, as well the treble is not extended as the K70x series but I can live with that.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #663 of 4,825
I totally agree! About the K-1000 I've heard only the light bass version, as well the treble is not extended as the K70x series but I can live with that.

I found the treble not as extended as the K7xx either, but I can live without it myself as while treble extension is nice if done right it doesn't make or break the experience for me. I always found I got most of my detail information from the midrange, elevated treble or better extension in treble never really increased the detail level to me. Elevated treble often comes off as harshness to me, extension is nice given it's real extension and not an illusion of extension from a treble boost. I'm personally a midrange guy. I wonder how big the difference between the bass-heavy K1000 and bass-light K1000 is. I wonder if it's as drastic as the difference between the bass-light R10 and bass-heavy R10.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #664 of 4,825
Brigntness & Sharpness . . . . it really depends on the music one is listening too. All I can say is, if your music has sharp tones, a good headphone will reveal it to you. Now, is this a failure of the headphone . . . or the music? Today, music is often produced very badly. And if your headphone is good and revealing, no matter what brand, it will reveal the mistakes of the production.

Just as an example, All is Full Of Love by Björk. That song is FULL of harshness. Even my superluxes can reveal that, you don't need any high end stuff to hear it. And if my 681-B can reveal it, so will my K400, K501, T1 or K812, doesn't matter.

I selected a specific spot of the song, so you can hear what i mean. Listen to it and thell, if its harsh when she sings "Thrust your head around":

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjAoBKagWQA#t=1m20s

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #665 of 4,825
I also liked the T1 much more than the k812, soundstage is bigger and sounds overall better for me

I'm totally have a other meaning. T1 lost in every category especially airiness and soundstage. The Beyerdynamic has no chance against the 812. But I dont want to say T1 is a bad headphone. For me it is one of the five best currently headphones in production. I had it a lot of time before I received the 812er and it was my favourite headphone. But the new AKG changes the game!

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #667 of 4,825
K1000 bass heavy is much better than k1000 bass light - i was really impressed
Did i miss any comparsion between K1000 bass heavy and K812 ?

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #668 of 4,825
K1000 bass heavy is much better than k1000 bass light - i was really impressed
Did i miss any comparsion between K1000 bass heavy and K812 ?

That's good to know. That's how I felt when I heard the bass-heavy R10, I thought it was noticeably better than the bass-light. No, I was just curious what the differences were, I have a friend who is comparing the K812 and bass-heavy K1000 though.
  Brigntness & Sharpness . . . . it really depends on the music one is listening too. All I can say is, if your music has sharp tones, a good headphone will reveal it to you. Now, is this a failure of the headphone . . . or the music? Today, music is often produced very badly. And if your headphone is good and revealing, no matter what brand, it will reveal the mistakes of the production.

Just as an example, All is Full Of Love by Björk. That song is FULL of harshness. Even my superluxes can reveal that, you don't need any high end stuff to hear it. And if my 681-B can reveal it, so will my K400, K501, T1 or K812, doesn't matter.

I selected a specific spot of the song, so you can hear what i mean. Listen to it and thell, if its harsh when she sings "Thrust your head around":

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjAoBKagWQA#t=1m20s

I know that, what I'm talking about is headphones that overemphasize treble so it comes off as harsher than it should, I can hear the harshness with ease on good darker headphones on songs but it doesn't give me listening fatigue or a massive headache. If a headphone isn't revealing enough it bothers me, I just hate emphasized treble but I also dislike veiled sounding headphones that smother the detail out for the sake of a pleasant and polished listening experience as there is usually a disconnect with the music.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #669 of 4,825
@Hubert481 . . . . next week, I'll compare the bass-light & bass-heavy versions of the K1000 VS the K812. I'll write down my impressions then. I think, the K812 won't stand a chance.

Quote:

That's good to know. That's how I felt when I heard the bass-heavy R10, I thought it was noticeably better than the bass-light. No, I was just curious what the differences were, I have a friend who is comparing the K812 and bass-heavy K1000 though.

I know that, what I'm talking about is headphones that overemphasize treble so it comes off as harsher than it should, I can hear the harshness with ease on good darker headphones on songs but it doesn't give me listening fatigue or a massive headache. If a headphone isn't revealing enough it bothers me, I just hate emphasized treble but I also dislike veiled sounding headphones that smother the detail out for the sake of a pleasant and polished listening experience as there is usually a disconnect with the music.

I completely agree with you. The K812 has no harsh treble etc., not more than a DT880 or T1. Same Treble Level in termy of harshness ~ at least for me.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #670 of 4,825

I completely agree with you. The K812 has no harsh treble etc., not more than a DT880 or T1. Same Treble Level in termy of harshness ~ at least for me.

That's good to know, I may like them, I will be able to try them in a week or so most likely. I just have less treble tolerance than normal, I've always had sensitive ears, if a headphone is too bright or harsh for me, I get a headache and my ears can become a bit congested(causing hearing imbalances) and have a sharp pain.

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #674 of 4,825
Yeah, i don't wanna judge tooo fast now. I'll give the K812 a little bit of time to warm up, than compare again after some weeks. But if it stays like this, i'm really dissapointed. Build Quality is really nice, but i won't pay 1500€  for a K701-ultra edition with better build quality. What dissapoints me most is the soundstage & airyness, because my K400s & K501s are better in this area. Even the mids are better with these, the k812 can't beat them in this. The only thing the k812 is doing better so far is: better resolution and better details ~ and even in that its only nuaaaances, very marginal. Nothing for what i would pay 1400€ more than a K501 (100€). But hey, what can i say? K400 & 501 are truly amazing cans. I hoped, the K812 could beat them, but so far, only th K1000 made it this far.

But lets wait and see and drink some coffee ;D

Give it some time to burn in. iPod Touch 5th gen is the BEST sounding iOS device to-date IMO. Not that you could crank up the volume and play the K812 at concert levels through an iPod. The iPod does provide a great listening experience without being tied to a desktop system or lug around a portable amp.

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #675 of 4,825
  I don’t take everything literally, o.k., but saying that K501 are better headphones, hmm, just make me wonder how  K812 actually are?

K501 is very good. AKG should never have replaced it. So I'm hoping that K812 is an improved K501, which is what many had expected from K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back