AKG K812 Pro
Jan 15, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #691 of 4,825
@Blackmore
 Don't forget that you can try HD800 almost in every high end shop and I don't even want to start about AKG. The last model I saw they were selling were K501.

Acix is suggesting a loaner program and that could be a good marketing material for a price of lets say 2-3 K812s ( and the price is not 1500 Euros each its much less )

Well, if they are too blind not see marketing opportunity it's their mistake 'cause I do not want to make petition for something that is so obvious. 

@vincent199122
Actually I just acquired my T1 recently despite the fact it's being said it's beaten across the broad by K812 in this thread. I have been listening to my PS1000 for 2 and half years and have come to a conclusion that the treble on low impedence headphones are pretty hard to deal with in terms of system synergy. The key I find is the amount of voltage output from the DAC. Too high of voltage will make the treble very hash.

My experience with the PS1000 powering by a portable device is very consistant with what being said in this thread. While it's easy to drive them to a state with good dynamics, the treble sounded terrible.

I did not hear Beyer but I am sure that is a good 'phone, as I've said for 600 Euros I would buy it and instantly forget about Senns and AKGs flagships.

One loaner program would reveal many things and create an extra hype but it seams that Harman wants a strictly controlled marketing environment.

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #692 of 4,825
Sorry but thats simply not true ;D what about k601 for instance? It was made for home use, at the same time the k701 came for the studio. And for the older ones.... which one is the flagship? K400 or k401? K500 or k501? All for the studio? I doubt it ;D

If I remember correctly the 1 # in the end of the number model is made with more bass, like the K500 and the K501, or the K400/ K401 K300/ K301. But looks like they maybe give up on this concept with the 601, 701 series. Lets put it this way, when you tell a pro studio guy about AKG his first thoughts will be about pro mic, or a studio hps like the famous AKG K-240. For example I had the K141 20 years ago as monitor tool in my studio.

At AKG they'll made a product to be used first for musicians in the studios, I mean if I read this company right for the last 40 years, their intention is to create perfect tool for the ones how understand and appreciate the higher standards and needs for the creativity in the studio. I do hope they didn't abandoned those higher values with the K812.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #694 of 4,825
To anyone who has heard the K3003, they have a very similar FR to the K812! I've just realized how close they sound after comparing side by side.

It makes sense as both are their flaghip statements. I now realize what akg's reference sound is intended to be. Just a bit too dry for my tastes.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 15, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #695 of 4,825
To anyone who has heard the K3003, they have a very similar FR to the K812! I've just realized how close they sound after comparing side by side.

It makes sense as both are their flaghip statements. I now realize what akg's reference sound is intended to be. Just a bit too dry for my tastes.

So i love both!K812&K3003! Regards (Super)NOMAX

And don't FORGET my past words!the next Sensation will come SOON!(Second half of 2014)

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #696 of 4,825
  Don't forget that you can try HD800 almost in every high end shop and I don't even want to start about AKG. The last model I saw they were selling were K501.

could you give me an example of such a store in the united states? i would really love to demo something $1000+.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #697 of 4,825
  could you give me an example of such a store in the united states? i would really love to demo something $1000+.

B&H Photo Video in New York has HD800 and Ultrasone Ed8. Both are in only fair condition and the store is somewhat noisy, but the salesmen respect knowledgeable customers. (I spotted another head-fier there easily because he brought his K550 along to compare. 
biggrin.gif
) Maybe Audio Consultants in Evanston, Illinois has PS1000. But I, too, wonder where else one can demo flagships. Does anyone know?

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #698 of 4,825
  B&H Photo Video in New York has HD800 and Ultrasone Ed8. Both are in only fair condition and the store is somewhat noisy, but the salesmen respect knowledgeable customers. (I spotted another head-fier there easily because he brought his K550 along to compare. 
biggrin.gif
) Maybe Audio Consultants in Evanston, Illinois has PS1000. But I, too, wonder where else one can demo flagships. Does anyone know?

hahaha... i'm looking for somewhere in texas. new york is a bit too far for me =P

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #699 of 4,825

biggrin.gif

Haha, "fair condition"?
They're deteriorating. LOL

But yeah, I don't understand why audio/music/instrument stores don't have more headphones available for demo.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #701 of 4,825
Well, I am not located in states, but you can always send an email to Sennheiser and AKG /Harman, ask them about dealership in your area and dealers tell you who they provide with gear, mean stores.

Sennheiser USA http://en-us.sennheiser.com/support

Harman AKG  http://www.akg.com/personal/Service,tid,295,_psmand,12.html

Good luck.

Quote:

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #702 of 4,825

OK there is allways a house sound, but the mids in the K3003 are by far not as good as the K812.

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #703 of 4,825
OK there is allway a house sound, but the mids in the K3003 are by far not as good as the K812.

Agreed, but it's not that far off, I'm not saying they're identical; just very similar. Of course the headphone would grant the superior listening experience. It's definitely more tactile and open compared to the K3003's.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 16, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #704 of 4,825

None of them were the flagship. They all were a cheap and much worse alternative of Akg K1000. And I believe they were for studio use.
That's a shame if K812 is worse than AKG K501 and K400 because they're not so great themself.

The K812 is much better than a K501, but have a similar sound balance.

The K812 is overall more detailed, have more punch, more deep bass, better highs as the K501! The K812 is another class of headphones!

I own both and compared them! The sound signature of the K501 is similar to the K1000 too - I compared them some time ago, I had loan a K1000 for a while.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #705 of 4,825
Still nowhere to be seen or heard in UK yet it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back