AKG K812 Pro
Jan 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #721 of 4,825
@MuppetFace

Many thanks for your impressions, what amp were used, if any? How deep low end goes? I think, that distance you were describing, can be solved with more upfront sounding amp, as K702 have that to, however depends from record to record.

Would you be so kind to post an pic from that crack please.

THX

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #722 of 4,825
I've had the K812 for a while now. At this risk of fueling the hype, I'll go ahead and say it: this is one of the best sounding dynamic headphones I've ever heard at any price. Period.

Funny, another experienced reviewer using nearly the same words as I did in my review even though it is not my absolute favourit.

Thank you MuppetFace for the nice write up.

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #723 of 4,825
Great Review MuppetFace!
Especially the musicality is the region where the new AKG 812 shines compared to T1 and HD800. The highs are incredible smooth without missing anything. Also the impact is in my opinion amazing and it can hard hitting when it must. Better than the impact oft the T1.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #724 of 4,825

Brilliant and helpful review. 

I'm not too surprised by them lacking impact compared to others, as this is defo an AKG trait. Big sense of space but with this comes distance. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #725 of 4,825
Very easy to make a K812 review sounds like hype. It just sounds... right. It is hard to flaw when pretty much every other flagship out there have some pretty distinctive traits liking it or not. It is hard to make the K812 sounds offensive, even with a poor source and bad recording while still presenting the flaws up stream subtly, instead of murdering your ears in the process.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #726 of 4,825
K812 is definitely one of the best dynamic headphone in the world but for me not the best. For me it is still the HD800 but only by an eyelash.
Going back to the treble. I don't find the treble smoother on K812 compared to HD800. Sometimes (mostly highhats and cymbal) the treble from K812 are for me a little bit to sharp / harsh. But on the other hand piano and acustic guitar sounds awesome.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #727 of 4,825
great review muppet. shame about the crack tho. man i'd be so bummed about that. got my eye on this can tho. how do the highs and mids compare to the th900 which used to be a favourite of yours right? i got an issue with the th900's highs but really dig its dynamics and impact. guess the th900 wipes the floor with the k812 in the impact department?

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #729 of 4,825
Have anyone seen K812 over in UK yet? They are everywhere in EU but don't seems to be here.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #731 of 4,825
Great and thorough impressions 
smily_headphones1.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 27, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #732 of 4,825
don't think Tyll would agree with muppet that sean olive's work influenced the design of this can. :wink: still wanna hear it for myself tho.

edit - there was a post before mine with measurements last time i looked - hmm...

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #733 of 4,825
don't think Tyll would agree with muppet that sean olive's work influenced the design of this can. :wink: still wanna hear it for myself tho.

edit - there was a post before mine with measurements last time i looked - hmm...

I don't agree too, because the treble of the K812 is hotter than the Olive-Welti Target.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #734 of 4,825
I disagree with the bass (wondering here especially since most people won't agree with you here, please check your replacement model for its bass again) and treble impressions. The treble is not smooth but still far from a PRO Ultrasones or a T90 (and still, the HD 800 has its own treble peak flavor, a toss-up in this case) while the bass presence, impact is noticably more/better than the HD 800. I agree on the extreme seperation and the superb imaging and soundstage. In general I consider the K812 more genre-proof than the HD 800 and ultimately (also thanks to its bottom end) much more universal if you also watch movies or game. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #735 of 4,825
  I disagree with the bass (wondering here especially since most people won't agree with you here, please check your replacement model for its bass again) and treble impressions. The treble is not smooth but still far from a PRO Ultrasones or a T90 (and still, the HD 800 has its own treble peak flavor, a toss-up in this case) while the bass presence, impact is noticably more/better than the HD 800. I agree on the extreme seperation and the superb imaging and soundstage. In general I consider the K812 more genre-proof than the HD 800 and ultimately (also thanks to its bottom end) much more universal if you also watch movies or game. 

Fully agreement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back