AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
May 1, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #2,401 of 3,395
So I've been listening to mine off and on over the past couple of weeks. Serial #2593, so I guess there are a number that are probably still available.

It's ok-sounding but I guess I was expecting more with some of the raving that I've read on them. They still have the sonic complaints I had with the K701/K702 and I probably won't be keeping them too much longer. Was really hoping for better, too bad. And I've listened to them on both the Burson Soloist and HeadAmp GS-X MK2, neither of which really helped the Annie to sound significantly better.

Was worth trying out anyway, even if it made me effectively write off AKG's K70x headphones for the foreseeable future....

May 1, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #2,403 of 3,395
Quote:
So I've been listening to mine off and on over the past couple of weeks. Serial #2593, so I guess there are a number that are probably still available.

It's ok-sounding but I guess I was expecting more with some of the raving that I've read on them. They still have the sonic complaints I had with the K701/K702 and I probably won't be keeping them too much longer. Was really hoping for better, too bad. And I've listened to them on both the Burson Soloist and HeadAmp GS-X MK2, neither of which really helped the Annie to sound significantly better.

Was worth trying out anyway, even if it made me effectively write off AKG's K70x headphones for the foreseeable future....

Yeah, that's exactly what I am worried about... Too much hype.

May 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #2,405 of 3,395
The resale value has gone down because they can be found for quite a bit cheaper than just a month
or so ago.

Dunno what you people are expecting. It is still a K70x driver. The sonic change is extra warmth and bass, but it is still a K70x. If you like the K70x and want some extra warmth out of them, the Annie is for you.

If you're expecting a flagship beater, you need a reality check. While I do believe they hold their own against the LCD2, IMHO, they still are a headphone sold for almost a 3rd of the price on a good deal.

You do pay quite the premium for an incremental improvement over the Annie.

May 1, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #2,406 of 3,395
Quote:

It's ok-sounding but I guess I was expecting more with some of the raving that I've read on them. They still have the sonic complaints I had with the K701/K702 and I probably won't be keeping them too much longer. Was really hoping for better, too bad. And I've listened to them on both the Burson Soloist and HeadAmp GS-X MK2, neither of which really helped the Annie to sound significantly better.

Quote:

Yeah, that's exactly what I am worried about... Too much hype.

At this price point - how much more are you expecting?  Are you guys expecting it to compete with the HD800, LCD-3s and other 1K + flagships?

Just asking..

May 1, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #2,407 of 3,395
My thoughts exactly. The Annie is still a K70x with a sound tweak. It's not a flasghip level headphone. It's a great all arounder, with lots of balance. Not the best at any one thing, but great in basically all things. Still, it's a $375 headphone performance wise at best, and should be treated as such.

May 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #2,409 of 3,395
Quote:

At this price point - how much more are you expecting?  Are you guys expecting it to compete with the HD800, LCD-3s and other 1K + flagships?

Just asking..

The only thing I am expecting is to have an in-depth (innerfidelity) measurement available...

May 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #2,412 of 3,395
Well, I am relatively new to owning high quality headphones and have not been able to compare the sound of the Annie to many other HP.   I have demoed the HD 800 and do not notice any big difference in sound to justify the ridiculous price tag.  I have always enjoyed good audio, especially in my car.  I don't see any major flaws in the Annie.  I originally felt the bass was lacking a bit, but I have fixed that with the EQ.  Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase.  It basically came down to the DT990 Premium or the Annie for me.  I ended up choosing the Annie based on MLE's headphone gaming guide.  I bet he has influenced many people in the same way.  I think AKG should send him a free pair for all the sales he has spurred.  LOL.

May 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #2,413 of 3,395
Quote:
Well, I am relatively new to owning high quality headphones and have not been able to compare the sound of the Annie to many other HP.   I have demoed the HD 800 and do not notice any big difference in sound to justify the ridiculous price tag.  I have always enjoyed good audio, especially in my car.  I don't see any major flaws in the Annie.  I originally felt the bass was lacking a bit, but I have fixed that with the EQ.  Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase.  It basically came down to the DT990 Premium or the Annie for me.  I ended up choosing the Annie based on MLE's headphone gaming guide.  I bet he has influenced many people in the same way.  I think AKG should send him a free pair for all the sales he has spurred.  LOL.

Ok, so K702 Anniversary have more or less the same amount of detail, soundstage depth and width, imaging and instrument separation as HD800?

May 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #2,415 of 3,395
Quote:

Ok, so K702 Anniversary have more or less the same amount of detail, soundstage depth and width, imaging and instrument separation as HD800?

I had them both for a while and umm..no,no,no,no and no lol 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back