AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
May 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #2,432 of 3,395
I thought so, but I've never owned any other than the Q701, so I wasn't going to say...
Quote:

Just to be thorough, some later versions of the K702 and K701 also had angled pads. 

May 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #2,433 of 3,395
Quote:

Just to be thorough, some later versions of the K702 and K701 also had angled pads. 

Q701 and K702 use the same pad (same part #).

May 1, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #2,434 of 3,395
Quote:
That's a little unfair and I think you know it. First off, all opinions are subjective. Second, anyone who has been a part of this hobby for some time understands this is a game of millimeters, not kilometers. Slight differences are mocked or praised to the umpteenth degree and they should be because we're passionate and genuinely interested in those changes. It's why this hobby is fun.

I'm paraphrasing from someone who posted something like this earlier, but here goes:

The problem arises when someone starts with high praise for headphone X. A new user reads the high accolades without absorbing other information or researching comprehensively, and impulsively purchases headphone X. Without experience with many other headphones (especially of mid-fi or high-end caliber), the new user is blown away. He or she also posts a glowing review/impressions of headphone X (often inflated by the honeymoon period or new toy syndrome). This propagates with new users that read a growing number of glowing, faultless reviews. Headphone X becomes FOTM.

That is one way the hype train develops, though in reality it's more complex than that. While more mature and patient members would understand the obvious such as doing actual competitive research and keeping realistic expectations, amateur and inexperienced users are what drive the hype train and lead a product to be overblown and oversold. These inexperienced users influence the decision of more and more newbies and even some regular dudes with less time to spare, and someone's bound to be disappointed.

May 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #2,435 of 3,395
I think that would be the case but certain posts have implied these are a much better headphone than the older iterations. 

Much better is subjective. To me, it IS a better headphone. It fixed all the flaws the Q701. The bass is fuller and a non-issue (if you want balanced bass, not basshead bass), the upper mids aren't so peaky due to the fuller, more fleshed out sound, anmd the comfort is greatly improved due to the flat headphone.

These are the things to expect.

This makes the Annie a much more well rounded headphone than the previous models due to making them more versatile and less fatiguing.

Do I think they're better than any headphone I've used in their price range? Absolutely. Better than the HE400, HD650, HE-4, DT880, DT990, Q701, etc. You can take any of those headphones, and find problems with each. The Annie has very, very little to find an issue with, IMHO. That makes them better. Bass? Check. Mids? Check? Airiness? Check. Soundstage? Check. Fullness? Balance? Check. Comfort? Check.

Set your goals realistically, expecting them not to be basshead cans, or flagship beaters, and I doubt you'll find anything truly wrong with them.

I don't think I'm hyping them at all. I think they're underrated.

However, that is MY opinion. Just like everything everyone ever says on here.

Now you have a couple of people who expected the greatest secret known to man and were disappointed? People who OWN flagships? Gee, what a surprise.

May 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #2,436 of 3,395
Quote:
Much better is subjective. To me, it IS a better headphone. It fixed all the flaws the Q701. The bass is fuller and a non-issue (if you want balanced bass, not basshead bass), the upper mids aren't so peaky due to the fuller, more fleshed out sound, anmd the comfort is greatly improved due to the flat headphone.

These are the things to expect.

This makes the Annie a much more well rounded headphone than the previous models due to making them more versatile and less fatiguing.

Do I think they're better than any headphone I've used in their price range? Absolutely. Better than the HE400, HD650, HE-4, DT880, DT990, Q701, etc. You can take any of those headphones, and find problems with each. The Annie has very, very little to find an issue with, IMHO. That makes them better. Bass? Check. Mids? Check? Airiness? Check. Soundstage? Check. Balance? Check. Comfort? Check.

Set your goals realistically, and I doubt you'll find anything truly wrong with them.

However, that is MY opinion. Just like everything everyone ever says on here.

The point is that these are objectively just an iterative effort onto K702s (mainly via the earpads), but your enthusiastic early subjective opinions got spun out of control and got a ton of people riled up, then what was mis-communicated as hype fed into real hype, which got more than a few people buying these thinking they are the second coming of Jesus and then sorely disappointed.

May 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2,437 of 3,395
I distinctly recall a similar situation happening on the HE-400 and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th advents of Hifiman Christ coming with every new pad swap being the greatest thing since.... the last one.

I have been extremely realistic in my impressions on the Annie. I have stated quite a few times that the Annie is a fuller, more fleshed out K70x.

If people expected a an Sennheiser HD802, well, that's their own fault.

The we have people on the Mad Dog thread stating it's comparable to the LCD2. Yeah, THEY'RE NOT blowing magic smoke... right.

But of course, that's ok.

May 1, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,438 of 3,395
Quote:
I distinctly recall a similar situation happening on the HE-400 and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th advents of Hifiman Christ coming with every new pad swap being the greatest thing since.... the last one.

That was Matt with the velours.

As for me and my Jergpads, I stand by both subjective and objective improvements that are more than subtle, much more. That's where the difference lies between me and what happened with annies 
rolleyes.gif

May 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #2,439 of 3,395
Quote:
The point is that these are objectively just an iterative effort onto K702s (mainly via the earpads), but your enthusiastic early subjective opinions got spun out of control and got a ton of people riled up, then what was mis-communicated as hype fed into real hype, which got more than a few people buying these thinking they are the second coming of Jesus and then sorely disappointed.

I think this is pretty spot on.

May 1, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #2,440 of 3,395
That wasn't just Matt, that's seemingly everyone who tries a new pad over there. But I won't get into it.

To get back on topic, for future Annie purchasers, here's the simple solution:

If you like the K70x, but wanted a more fleshed out sound with more bass, better comfort, and fuller sound, get the Annie. If you want a flagship, buy a flagship.

May 1, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2,441 of 3,395
I don't think MLE over-hyped anything.  So far my impressions have pretty much been in line with what he said.  It is apples and oranges versus the HE400.  I do agree that the Mad Dogs are the most overrated headphone.  The only headphone that has lived up to the hype for me is the HE400.  I was let down by the HD600, 650, and 800 and have yet to hear the HE500.  

May 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #2,442 of 3,395
For future reference, when someone likes something, it's best they not say it, because you'll be accused of hyping it.

I don't own the Annie anymore, and yet I will stand by my claims that I find them better than anything else I have used in their price range, and nearly as good as the LCD2 to my ears, besting it in certain aspects such as openness (though not as refined). If people wanna take that as being flagship level, then that's their choice. That being said, the LCD2 (as amazing as I think it is,), is overpriced, and sounds more like they'd be $500.

Though I don't find anything to be worth so much over mid fi cans such as the Annie. Not the D7000, not the LCD2, not the SR-407, not the ESP-950, etc.

I think the Annie at less than $400 represents a solid choice for the best balanced/neutral-ish headphone in it's price range to gauge all others. I haven't heard the HD600 though.

May 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #2,443 of 3,395
I'm using Darryl's Annies now and it is the best AKG K/Q iteration. You either like em or not but they are not bad. They fit in well with their price peers. They are not dragon slayers. I had the original K-701 for probably 5-6 yrs and only sold them cause I didn't use them and a member was looking for a pair and didn't mind the shortened cable (puppy modified). But I love their looks with the blue stitching and are more comfy than the ribbed headband.

May 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #2,444 of 3,395
From the recent postings you would think the Annies are the worst headphone ever created lol. I do think the Annies were a bit overhyped. I was under the impression that they were at the same level as the HE500. However at the price they go for now it really isn't that bad. It's not the best or a bang for your buck but it should be priced around where it is going for now in the FS forums.

May 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2,445 of 3,395
Got my new Anniversaries (replacement pair) in today.

I immediately tested them for driver rattle and they appear to work flawlessly (Thank Gawd).  Nice and smooth with no buzz or rattle. 

I've been without full-sized headphones for exactly a month.  It's been tough. 
tongue.gif

I'm seriously glad to have them back at last.

Interestingly, the serial number on the new pair is #3621.  I guess they made more than 3000...  0_0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back