AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Sep 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3,394

bizkid

1000+ Head-Fier
AKG releases the limited 65th Anniversary Edition of the K702:

Link to AKGs product Website:

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,1340,pid,1340,nodeid,2,_country,EN,_language,EN.html

So it seems we get a limited edition of the K702 with a leather headband, built to tighter specs/driver matching and made in Austria. The price for the Anniversary Edition is 549€ in Europe, avaible now. I'm curious where the street price will end up, 549€ is too much for me personally. I'd expect to pay that much for a K801.

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 3,394
Its great that they don't have those stupid bumps on the headband anymore
tongue.gif
If I didn't already have the HD800 I'd probably get the anniversary edition at a higher price than the normal K702 just for that factor...

It's also interesting that they've also brought back the old K400/500 series labels on the cups.

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 3,394
Are they differ from K702 or you just pay extra EUR200 for a leather headband and comfy ear pads?

They look cool, but somebody have to try them and tell us about the sound
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 3,394
Wow, looks sick, the stealth-ish color scheme. Interesting how they did away with the bumpy headband for this version. I'm guessing the street price should drop by quite a bit though.

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 3,394
And here we go again AKG. At the very least you thought to release a (presumably) comfortable headband this time. It probably is the best improvement you have made since the original K701 release.

I can't wait for the thread saying that these have way more bottom end and warmth than the K/Q7 series and are like completely different headphones. 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #11 of 3,394
Quote:
Are they differ from K702 or you just pay extra EUR200 for a leather headband and comfy ear pads?

They look cool, but somebody have to try them and tell us about the sound
ksc75smile.gif

The regular ones already have a leather headband.  This one just omits the bumps.

The ear pads are intriguing though!

Quote:

Looks like the drivers specs are the same as the K702. What's new is the ear pads and the leather comfy headband, and maybe the new pads can effect the sound differently compare to the original K702.

Am I the only person who never found the old headband to be uncomfortable? I imagine a pad redesign is worth something though!

Quote:
I was wondering why AKG decide to release the K-702 model as the limited 65th anniversary edition, and not the K701, or the Q version.

Makes sense: K701 means hardwired, which sucks for limited edition, Q701 has the cable on the wrong side to make it iPhone friendly.  If it has a detachable cable that's on the proper side, it has to be a K702!
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #12 of 3,394
Quote:

The regular ones already have a leather headband.  This one just omits the bumps.

Am I the only person who never found the old headband to be uncomfortable? I imagine a pad redesign is worth something though!

Makes sense: K701 means hardwired, which sucks for limited edition, Q701 has the cable on the wrong side to make it iPhone friendly.  If it has a detachable cable that's on the proper side, it has to be a K702!
wink.gif

I assume the Anniversary series parts are still interchangeable with the other k701/Q701... but where to get the replacement earpads - and how much?

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 3,394
Quote:

wink.gif

Yes - good rationale for K702 marketing. It's probably way cheaper, too - no major new designs and the K702 has plenty of exposure already.

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #14 of 3,394

Originally Posted by Acix 

Looks like the drivers specs are the same as the K702. What's new is the ear pads and the leather comfy headband, and maybe the new pads can effect the sound differently compare to the original K702.

Wait, what? Why are some of you guys talking about new earpads? Pretty sure they're the same. Hmmm... you're probably confused by the "newly designed genuine leather headband and soft velour ear pads" statement in the literature. I think "newly designed" is only referring to the leather headbands.

Quote:

I didn't find the old headband to be uncomfortable, never really bothered me, only made my scalp a bit sensitive once or twice, after several hours. I can imagine it might be a nuisance for bald guys though.

wink.gif

What? The Q701's detachable cable is on the left side just like the 702s. 

They're probably using the k702 because it has a detachable cable for user convenience, and since it's not for the Quincy Jones line they don't want the Q button thing. Or maybe they just don't want to pay ol' quincy 
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 3,394
lpan, you're right the new design is only referring to the leather headbands... and the soft pads attached after new leather headbands just sold me out. Also Quincy royalties can be a strong point here.

Just edit my original post, I don't want to disinform and confuse potential buyers.
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back