AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Apr 25, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,371 of 3,395
Quote:
That would definitely be enough for me to tell them I want a FULL refund. Eff that.

Yeah.  Or have AKG ship me a NEW pair that has been tested and is 100% working correctly.

Would it be feasible to push for that instead?

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #2,372 of 3,395
I would. They made a mistake, they should go out of their way to compensate you for the trouble and cost. Maybe some K712 Pros. :wink:

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #2,373 of 3,395
Quote:
I don't know about what you're plugging them into, but the Annie's drivers are notorious for requiring some real power. Not sure your soundcard is doing enough for them.

Yeah... I was hoping that the amp on the soundcard would do the trick, but I am willing to buy a Magni if needed.  I just don't want to spend money if it is not going to make a difference.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #2,374 of 3,395
They also gave me back a different cable then the one I sent in. 

I sent in the Anniversary's grey cable and they sent back a plain black cable that looks like it came off a K240.

...Why?

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #2,375 of 3,395
I don't know how good your soundcard is, but they definitely improve with power being pumped into them. It's been basically proven since the early days of the K701/2. They're picky with amps, though the Annie nis a little more forgiving.

Chico, What? Yeah, you better get on their ass about all of that.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #2,376 of 3,395
The amp is the same as the Asus Xonar Essence STX.  It is rated for 80mW @ 600 ohms.  The STX produces the full 80 mW. However, the ZxR has been tested to produce only 48.6mW @ 600ohm.  Would this power be enough at the lower impedance of the Annie?

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #2,377 of 3,395
Impedance is only one factor. The Annie and other K70x have very low sensitivity, and demand more current than standard headphones.

I'm sure you aren't powering them near their sweet spot.

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #2,379 of 3,395
Whoo. 

Okay, after ~40 minutes of being transferred around on the phone with AKG, they've agreed to ship me a BRAND NEW pair of K702 Anniversaries direct from AKG tomorrow.

I'm going to ship back my defective pair for them to refurbish on their own time.  I think I'll skip on the extra shipping insurance and signature confirmation this time.
evil_smiley.gif

I pray to GOD that the new pair doesn't have any issues. 
If it does, I might wait for the K712s to drop in price then just pick one of those up instead  :\

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #2,380 of 3,395
Quote:
Would the Magni power them to their full potential?

Full potential is going to be met with subjectivity. Let's say you're gonna get good results from using the Mangi. I get good results from my E09K.

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #2,381 of 3,395
Is it still possible to get these for $350? I know RazorDog is still doing $375 but I read earlier that you could get ProAudioStar down to $350 -- they quoted me $399 recently though.

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #2,382 of 3,395
Quote:
Whoo. 

Okay, after ~40 minutes of being transferred around on the phone with AKG, they've agreed to ship me a brand new BRAND NEW pair of K702 Anniversaries direct from AKG tomorrow.

I'm going to ship back my defective pair for them to refurbish on their own time.  I think I'll skip on the extra shipping insurance and signature confirmation this time.
evil_smiley.gif

I pray to GOD that the new pair doesn't have any issues. 
If it does, I might wait for the K712s to drop in price then just pick one of those up instead  :\

I wish I would have known.  I had to deal with AKG earlier this year and I ended up getting a direct line and email to someone in tech support.  I was very pleased with the service, but it appears they really screwed the pooch with your warranty service request.

I can't imagine you'll have a problem with the second set.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #2,383 of 3,395
My one and only experience with AKG's warranty was having to wait four months and ultimately get an inferior model as a replacement. Not too surprised to hear that they're fooling around still.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #2,384 of 3,395
So... I adjusted the EQ: 

31 Hz = +4dB
62 Hz = +3dB
125 Hz = +1dB

The rest of the EQ bands are flat.

This gives the Annie a needed bass boost (IMO) without having it interfere with the mids and highs.

I think the amp from the ZxR is powering the Annie just fine.  I am getting consistent bass throughout and no sounds are clipping or becoming distorted.  When set to high gain, the volume levels start to become uncomfortable past 25%. So, there is plenty of juice going to the Annie.  If I crank the EQ I can really get the bass to pound, while remaining clear.  However, it is not the balanced sound that I am looking for.

So, while the Annie sound out of the box was not exactly what I wanted, I was able to tweak it to my liking with the EQ.  I hope the sound stage opens up a bit with a little more burn-in.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #2,385 of 3,395
Quote:

I wish I would have known.  I had to deal with AKG earlier this year and I ended up getting a direct line and email to someone in tech support.  I was very pleased with the service, but it appears they really screwed the pooch with your warranty service request.

I can't imagine you'll have a problem with the second set.

The tech support process was fine.  They just failed to actually SERVICE the headphones. 

I was very clear and specific about what the problem was, but when the headphones got there they apparently ignored the information I gave them and instead started looked for a different problem.
They made up their own problem and then decided to "fix" that problem - which DIDN'T EVEN EXIST - and ignored the actual problem that DID EXIST - the one I clearly explained to them.
The techs I talked to today read back my description of the rattling driver problem, so it's there in the ticket. I'm not sure how they managed to ignore it when it came time to repair them. 
confused_face.gif

Clearly a mistake was made somewhere in the process, but mistakes happen so I won't fault them too much. 

When I requested that they send out a new replacement headphone, I could tell they would have just sent me a regular K702 if I hadn't said anything else.  They were a little confused when I pointed out that they made TWO different K702s, and I had to clarify several times that they needed to send out a K702 Anniversary Edition as the replacement, NOT a regular K702.

Even AKG's own people can't keep track of all the different K70x!!  
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back