AKG K550 - NEW!!
May 22, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #61 of 1,494
I agree that the K500/K501  sound better than those but they are kinda rare now. I always see a listing pop up on here and when I jump on it it tends to be already sold. I would really love to own a K50*

Also you are right about the K501/K601 sounding different. They sound nothing alike. All the old vintage AKG's are voiced far differently than they are now and to be honest I prefer how the older models sound. Now though I still love all the current models and they are still great.

tdockweiler, You should never go the the FRG. Those a lot of the time are not even accurate at all. 

Quote:
501 doesn't sound similar to 601. Many will disagree, but I liked 601 better (I think 501's overrated, I liked 500 more then both 501,601 and 70X)

*starts running*

On topic; my wallet is ready for the 550

May 22, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #62 of 1,494

Quote:
tdockweiler, You should never go the the FRG. Those a lot of the time are not even accurate at all. 

Yeah, I know what you mean! The K501 graph I saw was so extremely tiny. Found it by digging around Headroom's website with the internet archive. The only reason I had this idea is that I've seen a few old posts saying they're similar. From my understanding though the K501 probably has a bigger soundstage, less bass and less treble. I don't know if I could enjoy an AKG with less treble than the K601. It's treble is fine for me, but for gaming I wish it had a tad more.

BTW Headrooms old comments on headphones are pretty funny. They weren't afraid of making a headphone look bad.

Here's that old graph I dug up. Some may find it interesting since it's so hard to find now:

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #63 of 1,494
I use this one: dB/mW = dB/V - 30 + 10*log(R). For 32 Ohms and 114dB/V, it returns precisely 99dB/mw.

Not sure if it's correct, but complete calculations and derivations were available here on head-fi (can't remember where).

I am not holding my breath though for this new release. AKG did already disappoint with their latest "lifting operation" and clearly expressed their new strategy orientation. I feel this introduction is indeed targeted to compete with Beats/Bose on the mass market rather than Beyer/Ultrasone.
redface.gif

Quote:
hm, still, a formula might be good.

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #64 of 1,494
Looking good phones, very interested. I'm waiting months for see a new headphone. Every option here seemed the wrong choice(in fact I'm quite satisfied with my ck100, they sound fantastic).

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #66 of 1,494
An oddity, a hi-end closed AKG and withouth the mandatory AKG headband design. IMO it doesnt even look enteresting, besides it look like a 150$ DJ headphone. we are yet to see if the sounds saves it.

I think I'll keep my K601, thanks.

Jun 10, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #68 of 1,494

Quote:
An oddity, a hi-end closed AKG and withouth the mandatory AKG headband design. IMO it doesnt even look enteresting, besides it look like a 150$ DJ headphone. we are yet to see if the sounds saves it.

I think I'll keep my K601, thanks.

These are clearly created to fill a brief of portable hi-fi.

Have you ever tried to use one of the classic AKG design headband headphones portably? The slightest tap of the upper bands (which are higher than you expect your self to be) sends them flying off your head. Completely impractical.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #69 of 1,494

Quote:
These are clearly created to fill a brief of portable hi-fi.

Have you ever tried to use one of the classic AKG design headband headphones portably? The slightest tap of the upper bands (which are higher than you expect your self to be) sends them flying off your head. Completely impractical.

No actually never atempted to use my K240 as portable, not even to mention the K601. but you are right a portable with that headband would be impractical. 
now that i see it a "possible portable" it got more interesting than before. but that would mean it is not hard to drive, unlike the rest of the higher K series

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #70 of 1,494
Yeah if you check the specs and blurb on the catalogue on the first page of the thread it does look like they're aiming for the "hifi portable" thing. I expect all the big players to do this soon - Beats and Bose have showed there is a market of people who will spend a few quid on what they believe are good headphones - but none of them have or would have portable amps. There's money there so there the manufacturers will go. I fully expect to see high end high efficiency closed phones from Sennheiser too soon. beyer are already hitting it and Ultrasone have been there for a while (although I don't really call Ultrasone hi-fi personally regardless of what they charge).

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #72 of 1,494

Quote:
501 doesn't sound similar to 601. Many will disagree, but I liked 601 better (I think 501's overrated, I liked 500 more then both 501,601 and 70X)

*starts running*

On topic; my wallet is ready for the 550

Stock they don't sound much alike, but if you switch pads, they do.  I agree that the K501 is overrated.  I like the K40x, K500, and K601 better. IMO, the pads of the K501 killed the sound and were uncomfortable, at least compared to the others in the line.  The look of the pads on these won't encourage me to buy them, just the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back