AKG K550 - NEW!!
Jun 10, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #80 of 1,494
Quote:
Looks like a somewhat cumbersome attempt to adopt a more "fashion forward" design and compete with the beyer dt 1350's.

Quote:
The DT1350 is a pretty simple, utilitarian and industrial design.  If anything, it's old school. 

Everything old is new again...

Jun 10, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #81 of 1,494

Quote:
What don't you like about the pads?  Do they look plasticy?  They look pretty unique, there's no wrinkles in them anywhere. 

Quote:
to me the pads looks like Kx01 but with pleater or perhaps soft lambskin instead of velour.

Looks big and deep, that sure is comfortable, as the K series

They look like K501 pads to me.  All of the other Kx01/Kx00 pads are a lot thinner and softer than the K501 pads.  I found the K501 pads to be stiff enough to be noticabely less comfortable.

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #82 of 1,494

Quote:
They look like K501 pads to me.  All of the other Kx01/Kx00 pads are a lot thinner and softer than the K501 pads.  I found the K501 pads to be stiff enough to be noticabely less comfortable.

and you are right, I have the K601 and bought a pair of k501 pads just to try them out, its not covered in soft velour like the K601, more like hard, hard vinyl mesh, and stiff enough not to lose shape when you put them on.

the ones in the OP looks deep but hope they are soft as the k601 

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #83 of 1,494
Judging by the shape of the earpads, it likely has similar transducer technology as the K6/701/2 series.  I'm interested to find out if AKG incorporated its flat wire voice coils here.

Jun 11, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #84 of 1,494
Quote:
and you are right, I have the K601 and bought a pair of k501 pads just to try them out, its not covered in soft velour like the K601, more like hard, hard vinyl mesh, and stiff enough not to lose shape when you put them on.

the ones in the OP looks deep but hope they are soft as the k601 

K501 pads sound just like AKG K271 velours which I'm not a fan of.

Jun 11, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #86 of 1,494
they look really nice. i wonder tho how they sound. seems all the best sounding akg headphones are all discontinued. hope they start bringing back the original designs especially the k 240 series.

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #87 of 1,494
Waiting to see what this is priced at and how its received is the only thing holding me off taking a punt on the DT1350 right now. A really good portable is the weak link in my collection I'm keen to firm up... Late June right?

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #88 of 1,494
They look really interesting! I do wonder what they sound like. AKG can do anything! I do wonder how big the changes will be! Price? They seem to stay along with what they have been doing but from the looks of it this could be radical?

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #89 of 1,494
This new AKG seems really interesting. The info I've gleamed from the thread so far seems to suggest completely new drivers and I'm really liking the new headband and the cups look comfy. I hope they don't go with cheap pleather and use real soft leather. If it's closed back hopefully it'll solve the anemic bass some of the AKG's are known for. The weight might be a bad thing BUT if the weight is caused by using more metal alloy instead of plastic throughout the form factor it might be a good tradeoff. The only thing I'm not liking is no detachable cable. So what do the rest of you think, I'm guessing pricing will be somewhere in the 200 to 300 range. Hopefully AKG has the sense to price these aggressively and not do a dumb Monster like move.

OK I'm curious whose gonna be the first guinea pig to grab these and post impressions. We need someone to step up and take one for the team lol
L3000.gif

Jun 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #90 of 1,494
I'm hoping for the 200-300 range, but I am worried.

This market unfortunately and stupidly IMO equates price with quality. Now Sennheiser, beyer, Ultrasone and Grado are all selling dynamics for around the 1k price (way too much for dynamics, way, way too much) it worries me others will follow suit simply in order to be taken seriously.

I hope AKG keep to their fair pricing policy, I really hope they do, but I have a fear it will come in at over 500 as half the cretins on this site will dismiss it as "mid-fi" without listening to it if it's any less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back