AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Aug 6, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #3,181 of 4,058
What's kind of been weird is the synergy between the K3003 and AK100ii

My guess was that they would sound really bad/wonky together given the high output impedance of the AK100ii (2 ohms)... but combo has been sublime.. the K3003 has never sounded better, all the soaring details + smoothness/refinement not heard from the X5/DX90. I was going to buy the X5ii just for the K3003 (yes, I love it that much) but not sure what the point is now... AK100ii seems to have given her wings to fly.

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #3,182 of 4,058
Aug 6, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #3,183 of 4,058
asking all you eq-savy guys
tongue.gif

i wanna try to eq the mid-bass a nod , which freqs are the ones i should temper with ?

i have the dx90 , which has a built-in 10-scale eq thing

thanx

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #3,185 of 4,058
tongue.gif

i wanna try to eq the mid-bass a nod , which freqs are the ones i should temper with ?

thanx

I did a google search on DX90 eq, but I can only see 8 bands. If you got 30,180,330,600,1k,4k,12k and 16k, then try to eq the 180Hz band.

Ideally, you'd eq mid-bass at around 100Hz.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #3,186 of 4,058

I did a google search on DX90 eq, but I can only see 8 bands. If you got 30,180,330,600,1k,4k,12k and 16k, then try to eq the 180Hz band.

Ideally, you'd eq mid-bass at around 100Hz.

ι went ahead before and already eq'ed the 100Hz setting , i feel very efficient now
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #3,188 of 4,058
Aug 6, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #3,189 of 4,058
... As for not even trying the SE846 or Layla... why not? It's certainly questionable whether one should own them, but trying them out if you have the opportunity certainly doesn't hurt anything. They both offer a certain "experience" that some find impressive.

i know this is head-fi and all but is being content with what you have really so hard to understand?

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #3,190 of 4,058
tongue.gif

thanx

Never felt the need to eq down that area on the 3003 (only to eq up the 20Hz). In fact I believe the low mids are this IEM's weak spot, and you might not want to mess those up. Maybe a little lift on the high mids, around 3k, I'd say (but with a lot of care, not to overemphasize the already too boosted 5k area), could give you the balance you're looking for.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #3,191 of 4,058
Hi everyone

I recently bought a pair of K3003s. These are my first high-end IEMs so I'm really excited to have them but I have one issue that's bothering me and wanted to have your input on it. 

Basically they sound really good except for some of the high frequencies, especially the "S" sounds in lyrics (both male and female) that sound really, really harsh and almost painful to listen to. I tried all three filters and the bass filters do help a little bit but they muddy up the sound.

I even tried a different pair, thinking there might be something wrong with mine, and they had the same exact issue.

So I was wondering if anyone who owns these has had that problem and if so how did you deal with it. Is there anything I can do to solve this? I really like these headphones so I'd love to get rid of this one problem.

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #3,192 of 4,058
  Hi everyone

I recently bought a pair of K3003s. These are my first high-end IEMs so I'm really excited to have them but I have one issue that's bothering me and wanted to have your input on it. 

Basically they sound really good except for some of the high frequencies, especially the "S" sounds in lyrics (both male and female) that sound really, really harsh and almost painful to listen to. I tried all three filters and the bass filters do help a little bit but they muddy up the sound.

I even tried a different pair, thinking there might be something wrong with mine, and they had the same exact issue.

So I was wondering if anyone who owns these has had that problem and if so how did you deal with it. Is there anything I can do to solve this? I really like these headphones so I'd love to get rid of this one problem.

Thanks!

try other tips , something to tame down the treble

i don't have any issues , but maybe you are listening to badly mastered music (bad production , bad bitrate) which tend to sound like **** some times

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #3,194 of 4,058
  Hi everyone

Thanks!

Seems like you're ears are exceptionally sensitive in the treble range, where the K3003s are known to be a bit peaky. As others have said, try different tips first.

Apart from tips, you can try this mod that tames peaks on the DN-2000J and should work equally well on the K3003. Use the treble or reference filter and some Blu-Tack.

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #3,195 of 4,058
Also deeper fit will help. The K3003 isn't meant to be worn deep but some ear shapes prevent the housing from sitting deep enough to avoid sibilance. You might try smaller tips than you normally wear, to see if you can fit slightly deeper or you might try double or triple flange tips. (The only issue with non AKG tips is making sure not to cover the nozzle vent with your tip stem). 3mm of depth might make all the differences in the world by pushing the peaks out of the sibilance zone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back