AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Aug 10, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #3,196 of 4,058
Thanks so much for all the advice guys. I will try the mod, insertion depth and different tips. Which model of complys do you recommend for these particular headphones?

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #3,197 of 4,058
Also deeper fit will help. The K3003 isn't meant to be worn deep but some ear shapes prevent the housing from sitting deep enough to avoid sibilance. You might try smaller tips than you normally wear, to see if you can fit slightly deeper or you might try double or triple flange tips. (The only issue with non AKG tips is making sure not to cover the nozzle vent with your tip stem). 3mm of depth might make all the differences in the world by pushing the peaks out of the sibilance zone.

how does this affect the K3 sound ? less bass ?

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #3,199 of 4,058
Thanks so much for all the advice guys. I will try the mod, insertion depth and different tips. Which model of complys do you recommend for these particular headphones?
they are a brighter earphone so maybe you just need a bit of time to adjust. And yeah make sure your using a higher bitrate. They defently bring out the bad in bad bitrate music.

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #3,200 of 4,058
they are a brighter earphone so maybe you just need a bit of time to adjust. And yeah make sure your using a higher bitrate. They defently bring out the bad in bad bitrate music.

Thanks. I'm mainly using my own mp3s (around 320kbps) and also Apple music (not sure about bitrate but it's supposed to be decent).

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #3,201 of 4,058

They take the 500 series comply. Since you find them a bit bright, I'd recommend the X models with the wax guard. It might attenuate the treble a bit. I'd say pick up the TX-500.

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #3,202 of 4,058
Covering the vents do increase the bass at the cost of making the sound congested. The dynamic driver does a lot more inside these than just being a simple bass driver. In fact I suspect the BAs are tuned to kick in a lot higher than most folks would think.

I completely concur with tdx's opinion on these. The only solution I could find was to eq the 5k peak. Complies kill the highs and do almost nothing to tame that peak.

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #3,204 of 4,058
  Covering the vents do increase the bass at the cost of making the sound congested. The dynamic driver does a lot more inside these than just being a simple bass driver. In fact I suspect the BAs are tuned to kick in a lot higher than most folks would think.

I completely concur with tdx's opinion on these. The only solution I could find was to eq the 5k peak. Complies kill the highs and do almost nothing to tame that peak.

Thanks for confirming what I heard. Glad I'm not hearing things (pun intended).

Can I ask how you eq'd the peak? im kind of new to this and, using my iphone, I dont really have control over manual EQs. Which generic preset would best have the same ep effect?

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #3,205 of 4,058
The presets are completely useless in this case, they are not made to target specific problems like reducing a 5kHz peak. You need to buy a dedicated app for that. I use Equalizer Pro, Accudio and Equalizer on my iPhone.

Probably the simplest one to use is Equalizer. Go to the lower left corner of the screen and the eq graph will appear. You simply have to activate one band by touching one of the white small circles disposed across the frequency line and set the values as following: 5200 Hz; Q= 4; -6dB. That's it, you're set. The app will be your player for the k3003, the eq will affect only tracks played from this app.

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #3,206 of 4,058
Awesome will try that asap. Thanks!

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #3,207 of 4,058
doubt that bit rate is a factor unless you're a bat. :wink: second the eq suggestion to target the high frequencies that you're sensitive too without altering the rest of the sound signature too much.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #3,208 of 4,058
  Hi everyone

I recently bought a pair of K3003s. These are my first high-end IEMs so I'm really excited to have them but I have one issue that's bothering me and wanted to have your input on it. 

Basically they sound really good except for some of the high frequencies, especially the "S" sounds in lyrics (both male and female) that sound really, really harsh and almost painful to listen to. I tried all three filters and the bass filters do help a little bit but they muddy up the sound.

I even tried a different pair, thinking there might be something wrong with mine, and they had the same exact issue.

So I was wondering if anyone who owns these has had that problem and if so how did you deal with it. Is there anything I can do to solve this? I really like these headphones so I'd love to get rid of this one problem.

Thanks!

Better first lookin at the source (music file and DAP); K3K is highly resolving, badly mastered music will do a mess. What's ur current DAP?
At the first time using iPhone 4S and K3K, i feel the same thing as ur experience too, some kind of music do harsh, while others dont, but standart iPhone often intended to do harsh at loud music, after modded, the problem solved, same as when using Oppo H2 amp, it smooth out the high freq, or the simple way by using EQ to cut at 3,5KHZ - 5KHZ range as Tumburu suggested.
Finally, let your ears adapt, it takes time :)

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #3,209 of 4,058
there's no right or wrong approach here but experimenting with eq and tips is cheaper than replacing a dap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back