A Shure Shootout! SRH-940 vs SRH-1440 vs SRH-1840
May 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #46 of 196
Lol, I'm sure he wouldn't mind once he heard them..

I tend to be attracted to large, narrow dispersion speakers that sort of function as massive headphones.  Used to own 15" Tannoys Ardens (great speakers, btw) but next time around I might track down a pair of La Scala's instead! 

May 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #47 of 196
I'm still debating whether or not to stick with the 1840s or let them go... The fight against my HD600s is close but probably not enough... ....

May 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #48 of 196
Personally I like the 1840 better than the HD600 but not by enough that I would buy them if I already owned the HD600. The reason would be they both are relatively neutral so there might not be enough difference (unless your not happy with your HD600) to justify a new headphone. If I did not own either though I would recommend the 1840 as it's lighter amp requirements and added detail, along with what I think is a bigger sound stage and more realistic cymbal reproduction would justify it's slightly higher costs (comparing MSRP to MSRP).

Unless you really don't like more forward mids you might actually find the 1440 a big enough change in signature to offer a refreshing change to your music. It also doesn't hurt that they are $200 cheaper :)

May 3, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #49 of 196
Agree with your assessment!
I should also try the 1440s... let's see... (I have some V-MODA's on the way and I want to try out one of those $1000 closed headphones... AT-W1000X, Ultrasone Signature Pros, AT 3000ANV, etc.)

May 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #50 of 196
Thanks for the comparo review Dweaver.  I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the new Shures.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #51 of 196
Thanks dweaver for all the impressions. I've always loved the 840s I had and now thinking about going for 940s. I am sure I won't be disappointed now. 

May 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #52 of 196
I do not know where the hd600 analogy started, but i personally feel it does no service to the shures.
They may sound alike in many aspects, but the sennheisers produce a two-dimensional and narrow soundstage, whereas the shures are among the finest dynamic headphones in terms of layering, imaging, and three-dimensionality.

Lately i feel as though i am in a very small minority on this forum... headfiers who actually understand and appreciate good imaging through headphones. :xf_eek:

May 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #53 of 196
Quote:
I do not know where the hd600 analogy started, but i personally feel it does no service to the shures.
They may sound alike in many aspects, but the sennheisers produce a two-dimensional and narrow soundstage, whereas the shures are among the finest dynamic headphones in terms of layering, imaging, and three-dimensionality.
Lately i feel as though i am in a very small minority on this forum... headfiers who actually understand and appreciate good imaging through headphones.
redface.gif

Sorry but that wasn't my experience with the SRH-1840's, at least from the perspective of three-dimensionality.  To my ears, the soundstage was rather flat and a bit boring.  In contrast, my Beyer DT150's seem more three-dimensional and alive.

Despite that, I did find them alluring and the decision to return them wasn't a straightforward one.

Maybe I need a hearing test 
confused_face(1).gif

May 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #54 of 196
Cut/ pasted from another thread.  My SRH 1440's should arrive mid-week.

Quote:
Couldn't help myself and got a pair of SRH1440 to try out alongside the SRH1840 and SRH940. So far I'd agree they definitely have more in common with the SRH940. Those who want an "open SRH940" need look no further, really. While sonically I prefer the SRH1840, I really love the design and hefty feel of the SRH1440. They just feel like they were built to last.

How my ears hear them:

SRH1440: Energetic, upfront, little if any warmth, emphasizes detail more, slightly more constrained, ruthless and sometimes too harsh for me personally.

SRH1840: More laid back, distanced, slight warmth, analytic but relatively less so, slightly more open, more euphonious and forgiving.

May 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #55 of 196
@thewuss, personally I think the 1840 is a better headphone over the HD600 as well. I just agree that if someone owns a pair of HD600 is happy with them they might not feel the 1840 is worth it because they already own a neutral style headphone. But having owned the HD600 and currently listening to and reviewing the 1840, I do think the 1840 is an overall step up. In many way it's a diagonal step up as there are key differences in the Sennheiser sound and the Shure sound especially in areas like percussion. If someone likens the Senn presentation a lot they might not like the Shure presention as much or vice versa.

I agree with Muppetface mostly except I feel like 1440 is a bit warmer than the 940. If you look, Dale has put up a utube video showing how to take the extra foams of the additional pads and add them under the pair in use. This will apparently reduce some of the treble while retaining the more foreward mids. I haven't tried this mod yet as I am contemplating if I can find some foam to use versus removing the foam from my spare set of pads. But the concept seems sound so will likely try something. For the most part I like the 1440 pretty much the way they are though. I may also try the rope mod to see what it does to the sound as well.

Glad to see a few more people posting their findings on all three headphones.

May 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #56 of 196
Interesting that one person's slightly hotter is another person's ruthless.  It goes to shows how we all hear differently, I guess.

It also illustrates the folly in placing an order based on mainly one impression, like I did 
biggrin.gif

The 1440 is slightly hotter or aggressive sounding in this one area. But I have to I have only had 1 song where it actually bothered me and that same singer is a favorite of mine and I like everything else I have lisyened by her so far, so I think it might be as much the song as anything. In many ways thats why they are Gradheisers as they have the top end of a Grado while having the smoothness of the a Sennheiser.

SRH1440: Energetic, upfront, little if any warmth, emphasizes detail more, slightly more constrained, ruthless and sometimes too harsh for me personally.

May 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #57 of 196
I have not had my ears tested but I do wonder if my hearing is not very good in the upper ranges anymore which might explain why I am not as bothered as others. Having said that I have found the 1440 to harsh on occasion, but thankfully it hasn't happened very often.

May 7, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #58 of 196
I wasn't implying that there was anything wrong with your hearing at all, sorry if it sounded that way 
happy_face1.gif
.   My ears have taken a real beating from dance music is bars and clubs- still do.  Arhhh!

Edit. It's a shame some of the people who attended that meet you had didn't share their thoughts too- for the sake of variety.

May 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #59 of 196
That's OK I didn't think you were implying anything about my hearing. I just wonder about it myself. I will see if any of the members in attendance are willing to post some thoughts or not. I suspect most may feel unwilling to say to much because of the circumstances and setup if the meet.

May 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #60 of 196
Quote:
I have not had my ears tested but I do wonder if my hearing is not very good in the upper ranges anymore which might explain why I am not as bothered as others. Having said that I have found the 1440 to harsh on occasion, but thankfully it hasn't happened very often.

Your hearing is probably OK. As one ages, the extreme high frequencies (14kHz to 20kHz) can gradually diminish, but harshness and brightness is usually heard in the 6-8kHz range.
Quote:
Interesting that one person's slightly hotter is another person's ruthless.  It goes to shows how we all hear differently, I guess.

I'm not sure that we hear differently or if we have different preferences and criteria for sound. I have different preference at different times and that's why I like having a few headphones around. I've been listening to the Focal Spirit One of late and it sounds warm on some things and crisp on others, which is probably showing what's up with each recording. But others would want a more spacious soundstage. For me, soundstage is just window dressing and on many headphones simply fake. Other people love it and make it a priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back