A Shure Shootout! SRH-940 vs SRH-1440 vs SRH-1840
Apr 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #32 of 196
Going from memory the 940 have the better detail in the mids and treble but let me see if can borrow a pair of HP700 from someone at work to do a quick comparison. The HP700 will have the 940 completely beat in regards to quantity of bass though.

When reviewed the HP700 they struck me as a nice portable alternative to the D7000 but with more forward mids. I liked their sparkle up top as well. The 940 on the other hand is definitely mid and treble centric but without being grating because there is no sibilance or piercing highs. The KRK8400 and most Grado's I have heard in comparison were always fatiguing and potentially harsh in comparison.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #34 of 196
Thanks Eke2k6, I am waffling which one I will keep out of these 3 headphones but purely on sound signature alone I have to admit I am almost 100% sold on the 1440 for myself. I like the 940 as well and appreciate it's isolation but think I may try to find an IEM that fits the isolation need and hopefully something similar in signature as it will fit my daily needs the best. But for now I am just going to enjoy both.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #35 of 196

Quote:
Thanks Eke2k6, I am waffling which one I will keep out of these 3 headphones but purely on sound signature alone I have to admit I am almost 100% sold on the 1440 for myself. I like the 940 as well and appreciate it's isolation but think I may try to find an IEM that fits the isolation need and hopefully something similar in signature as it will fit my daily needs the best. But for now I am just going to enjoy both.

How you described the 1440 made me want it immediately. The price doesn't hurt either.

You know I'd follow you off a headphone cliff after the GR07. I never did find out why you sold it off.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #36 of 196
INSANITY made me sell the GR07 and I have almost bought another one many times since. The only reason I haven't is I want to save up for the GR08 (not that you can tell after I bought these two Shure headphones LOL). I may end up having to sacrifice one of these when the GR08 is released though LOL.

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #37 of 196

Quote:
INSANITY made me sell the GR07

Ah, yes. That explains it 
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #38 of 196
OK , just listening to Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin using the SRH-1440 and all I can say is Holy Moly does this song ever sound good. I literally had to close my eyes through part of the song and hear the spacial movement within the song, unbelievable. These may not have the biggest sound stage but that song was all over the place and you could definitely hear the movement, up, down, left to right, forward, back, simply all over the place and it certainly sounded large to me. Definitely an eargasmic moment.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #41 of 196
I can tell you the bass of the 1440 is no where near the levels of the bass of the Denon HP700. The Shure headphones are about balance or about the mids and treble and tons of detail. The bass is there but more in a supporting roll rather than the the spotlight.

May 2, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #42 of 196
Ok I may be holding a one sided conversation at points here but I have to continue to talk! Just getting ready for bed and listening to some Greg Keelor "When I See You" from the album "Gone" and since it's late and I moving about I am using my iPhone and listening at low volume 1/3 on the volume gauge. An this song is fully dynamic and engaging. The decay on the piano is perfect and full, bass is clear and present, the mellow singing (male singing) is poignant and compelling, upper mids and lower treble is clean and effortless. I can just hear my family in the background but the dampening is just enough an the music present enough that the sounds are Ok and not detracting the experience.

I have to say, I dub the 1440 a midrange oasis in a neutral/V shape headphone filled soundscape, with just the right amount of bass and treble. I have heard more engaging headphones but not for anywhere near this price point and nothing this engaging for low volume listening.

May 2, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #43 of 196
From my experience, if you want an IEM that is strikingly similar to the 940, I'd take a look at the Audio-Technica CK10. :)

High levels of detail retrieval, fantastic instrumental separation, and slight treble emphasis. Like the 940, bass is on the lighter side, but I find it has extremely good depth and just about the perfect amount of oopmh for me. Not to mention, when inserted properly and deeply, noise isolation is outstanding.

May 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #44 of 196
Quote:
Ok I may be holding a one sided conversation at points here but I have to continue to talk! Just getting ready for bed and listening to some Greg Keelor "When I See You" from the album "Gone" and since it's late and I moving about I am using my iPhone and listening at low volume 1/3 on the volume gauge. An this song is fully dynamic and engaging. The decay on the piano is perfect and full, bass is clear and present, the mellow singing (male singing) is poignant and compelling, upper mids and lower treble is clean and effortless. I can just hear my family in the background but the dampening is just enough an the music present enough that the sounds are Ok and not detracting the experience.
I have to say, I dub the 1440 a midrange oasis in a neutral/V shape headphone filled soundscape, with just the right amount of bass and treble. I have heard more engaging headphones but not for anywhere near this price point and nothing this engaging for low volume listening.

Not one sided at all 
normal_smile .gif

Heard a pair of Klipsch La Scala's round at a friend's recently and was reminded just how important good midrange is.  The horn-loaded mids of the Klipschs has to be heard- it's so open and communcative compared to regular speakers! 

Anyhow, I've ordered a pair of 1440's from Amazon.  Will be interesting to compare them to the 1840's, from memory.  I know these Shures will never be the best choice for a lot of the bass-driven music I listen to, but I do listen to other genres too, so let's see how it goes...  

May 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #45 of 196
I may check into the CK10's thanks for the tip.

My one sided comment was more about my posting back to back posts as much as anything. I loon forward to your thoughts when you get your 1440's :) I took mine to work today instead of my 940's I will see how I like them in a different type of environment. Pretty sure I won't be using them on the train though LOL.

BTW them are some swanky looking speakers :) but I would have to put my son into indentured servitude to get them LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back