A Shure Shootout! SRH-940 vs SRH-1440 vs SRH-1840
May 7, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #61 of 196
Quote:
For me, soundstage is just window dressing and on many headphones simply fake. Other people love it and make it a priority.

like me, for example. 
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #62 of 196
Quote:
 For me, soundstage is just window dressing and on many headphones simply fake. Other people love it and make it a priority.

Agree.  I feel the same with speakers by and large.  

How are things coming along with the 1440s now that a few weeks have passed by?  
regular_smile .gif

May 7, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #63 of 196
I just went back to them over the weekend after a ten day period with the Focal. I like the clarity, speed and balance of the 1440. Music sounds crisp and alive.

May 7, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #64 of 196
Quote:
I just went back to them over the weekend after a ten day period with the Focal. I like the clarity, speed and balance of the 1440. Music sounds crisp and alive.

That's how I feel about them pretty much :)

As for sound stage, I for one like a good sound stage but over the years I have heard my fair share of fake or illusory ones too. I think all of the Shures have a good sound stage in that they place instruments very well and they don't feel claustrophobic and the instruments all have room to breath. I have owned the AD700 and AD900 and found both had unnaturally wide sound stages and I found they changed the midrange a bit to much to achieve some of that sound stage for my liking. I have also owned several closed products and even IEM's that have used a bit of what I call the cavern effect to simulate a sound stage (really not a fan of this type of "sound stage" at all). At the end of the day so long as I don't feel like I am sitting in someones basement like I did as a kid I am pretty happy. BTW I have heard the HD800 enough to know what a BIG sound stage is like (while still sounding very clear) and I did like it but I am not sure I would want it all the time.

May 8, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #66 of 196
New impressions coming up :)

May 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #68 of 196
LOL OK get over the honeymoon and then tell us what you think :wink:

May 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #69 of 196
Hi dweaver

Thanks alot for all the reviews about Shure line up. I have read all the pages, and still I am not able to decide. I want advice from you for buying headphone. I am right now torn between Sennheiser 650 and Shure 1840. Which one will you suggest. Does the price of 1840 justifies its performance? Please share your views.

Thanks in advance

May 8, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #70 of 196
Picked up my pair of SRH-1840 on Sunday, letting them run on the V200 along with the HE500 that I bought two weeks previous, didn't realize they were the same price in US$
confused_face_2.gif

Will post some impressions of the 1840 later on.

May 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #71 of 196
Quote:
 Does the price of 1840 justifies its performance?

I have the 650 too.....initial thoughts are that the HD650 are so different in sonic signature, compared to the 1840. 

Will share my opinion of the two in a few days time
bigsmile_face.gif
 having just received the 1840 on Sunday

May 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #72 of 196
Quote:
Hi dweaver

Thanks alot for all the reviews about Shure line up. I have read all the pages, and still I am not able to decide. I want advice from you for buying headphone. I am right now torn between Sennheiser 650 and Shure 1840. Which one will you suggest. Does the price of 1840 justifies its performance? Please share your views.

Thanks in advance

Personally I would take the SRH-1840 over the HD650 in a heart beat unless you have already spent a lot of money on a quality amp. If you have not spent the money on an amp the SRH-1840 will not require as significant invenstment on that front which will justify the difference in cost easily.

The HD650 is by it's nature a darker sounding headphone than the SRH-1840 (the HD650 is darker sounding than the HD600 as well). This sound is great for some music and some people really love the signature. If you want a dark warm sound then get the HD650. But if your wanting something more neutral then I recommend the SRH-1840. Secondly both the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 have a similar sounding treble that reproduces instruments like cymbals very differently from the all the Shure products. I find the Senn products have more of a ping quality to their cymbals as compared to a crash and sizzle quality produced by the Shure headphones. I prefer the crash and siazzle as it sounds more natural to my ears. But again some people love the Sennheiser sound in this area so it will depend.

Soundstage will be good on both brands.

Build wise it's a toss up but I think the Shure will be lighter.

Comfort wise it's again a toss up.

BTW I see more posts talking about the difference in sound of the HD650 and YES there is a significant difference in sound. Again as I stated above the HD650 is a darker warm sounding headphone. The SRH-1840 will be much more neutral with a slight tilt in treble.

May 10, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #74 of 196
Quote:
LOL OK get over the honeymoon and then tell us what you think
wink.gif

Although it's definitely too early for any firm conclusions, I can say so far I'm pleasantly surprised with the 1440s.  I broadly agree with yours and Beagle's impressions and I'm finding them a more engaging listen than I did the 1840's, mainly due to their more open midrange.

Only problem is they kept me up most of last night 
regular_smile .gif

May 10, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #75 of 196
This post from the other thread makes a lot of sense:

i've had the 1440s on repeat at home and did some listening last night, after making an initial assessment on my 801 and x-7, both of which drive them more than adequately.

I am liking them very much, and find them very open, dynamic, and full range, and more than resolving enough to distinguish between the x-7, 801, and my home rig which is substantially better than any portable.  I need to spend more time listening to them, but so far I am enjoying them very much.  They do timbres/tonal colors very well, and capture the reedy sound of saxes, and the brass 'blat' of trumpets/trombones....  with great honesty.  Their dynamics are explosive, which i also value quite highly.  Their bass has weight and extension, and is in balance with the rest of the frequency range.  They are very coherent, which is also important to me.  

They are very comfortable on my  shaved head, which is above-average size, but not huge.  

So far so good - I will follow up with more comments and let you know when my colleague and i perform the hostage exchange and I get the 1840s to listen to.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back