A non-Android Streaming DAP?
Jun 20, 2021 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ruthieandjohn

Stumbling towards enlightenment
(Formerly known as kayandjohn.)
I have spent more years of my life than I care to admit waiting for Android-based streaming DAPs to come to life, or charging them because I forgot to turn them off, etc.

Is there a good streaming DAP that is NOT burdened by Android? Certainly, one fast-responding, power-sipping, non-Android streamer is the iPhone, but is there any capable of high res audio?

Thanks!

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 9
I have spent more years of my life than I care to admit waiting for Android-based streaming DAPs to come to life, or charging them because I forgot to turn them off, etc.

Is there a good streaming DAP that is NOT burdened by Android? Certainly, one fast-responding, power-sipping, non-Android streamer is the iPhone, but is there any capable of high res audio?

Thanks!
Yep don’t know of a Dap other than Android based that does streaming. Apple Music has gone lossless and High Rez so another option. HiBy R3 also does stream from Tidal and supposedly Qobuz have only got Tidal to work but haven’t tried real hard . The interface is very rudimentary and have the old school phone texting setup for input as when you want a C you have to hit the abc button 3 times so not real comfortable but does work.

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 9
It really depends if you want Musicians to be racketeered by Music Streaming providers.
It's a no go for me (excepted for Bandcamp)
Bandcamp Review / LA Times 2020
I do own an HIby R3 (Tidal is supported ) even without manuals/specs it's the best GUI for music I found so far, still I don't stream with it, I just synchronize it with JRiver for whatever Albums/ my own Playlists and it works like a charm (respect of the Norm ID3v2 metadata container)

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 9

Thanks!

According to Apple the latest iPod Touch supports Apple Music Lossless with downloads as well.

Jun 28, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 9
Don't non android based ones not support tidal?
Really don’t know just know that HiBy OS supports TIDAL and supposedly Qobuz but haven’t got Qobuz to work on my R3 yet .

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 9
Yep don’t know of a Dap other than Android based that does streaming. Apple Music has gone lossless and High Rez so another option. HiBy R3 also does stream from Tidal and supposedly Qobuz have only got Tidal to work but haven’t tried real hard . The interface is very rudimentary and have the old school phone texting setup for input as when you want a C you have to hit the abc button 3 times so not real comfortable but does work.
Can I use a non android dap(like hidizs AP80 Pro) as a dac/ amp with my PC/mobile for fully decoding Tidal MQA ?

Nov 6, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 9

AFAIK they all use some kind of Android. Some just use a highly simplified version of Android so it will be responsive on a dual core CPU, but no PlayStore access and at best they're unlocked to officially sideload (ie you hook it up to a computer, like some of the M-series Fiios and download a folder from their website) streaming services and some music players for locally stored FLAC like Neutron Music Player.

Can I use a non android dap(like hidizs AP80 Pro) as a dac/ amp with my PC/mobile for fully decoding Tidal MQA ?

I suppose it should run via USB since it says it supports MQA. What it can't do is have the Tidal app run on the player itself and locally store the high res audio.
https://www.hidizs.net/products/ap80-high-resolution-portable-music-player

Users who are viewing this thread

Back