$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jul 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #3,946 of 6,550
Calyx M vs iBasso DX100 / R10... can I hear you guys' opinion? which one sounds better?

HM901 and X5 both sound worse than R10. If AK100 series aren't better than HM901, I can conclude that the top sounding devices are:

R10, Calyx M, AK240

and maybe cowon's P1 but I can't mention P1 here since it hasn't released yet.

I like the M over dx100/(and r10 from memory). But then I like hm901 over M.

If you like dx100/r10 over 901, you may actually like the ak120II/ak240 type sound more than M/dx100/r10.

For me, my "conclusion" on sound from the models you listed is hm901 > ak240 > M > dx100 > X5. I had owned all of these except M.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #3,947 of 6,550
I like the M over dx100/(and r10 from memory). But then I like hm901 over M.

If you like dx100/r10 over 901, you may actually like the ak120II/ak240 type sound more than M/dx100/r10.

For me, my "conclusion" on sound from the models you listed is hm901 > ak240 > M > dx100 > X5. I had owned all of these except M.

Cool. I'd love to hear M then. 
I checked HM 901. I turned it back in one day. In terms of detail and clarity, it was far behind R10. 
AK240 is way beyond my price range. 
I'd be interested in AK120 II though. How would you compare AK120 II's sound to AK240's? 
Spec wise, they appear the same. Do you hear significant difference between these two units? 
They use the same dual DAC chips and same interface. I don't have any DSD files on my computer, so native DSD support won't be a problem. I won't be using it. 
If AK120 II sounds the same as AK240, I think I will try to buy it. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #3,948 of 6,550
Is exFAT acceptable for the micro SD slot? For my case its not. It says that it is not mounted.

Only FAT32 and NTFS

Do we know of there is plans to support exFat which I think is more useful for large capacity cards... except Calyx need to pay royalties to Microsoft...

Below quoted from exFAT Versus FAT32 Versus NTFS:

However, exFAT should be a true competitor to NTFS on systems with limited processing power and memory. NTFS on flash memory has been known to be inefficient for quite some time. exFAT’s smaller footprint/overhead makes it ideal for this purpose. Of course, only if your definition of “ideal” allows software to be proprietary and not open source.

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #3,949 of 6,550
  Received mine today. Feels very solid and robust in hand. Excellent construction, gives pride of ownership. I found the M:USE software intuitive, quickly updated from factory installed 0.95 to latest 0.96. 
I also got wifi interference if using HiFiMAN RE-600S close to the router, the phone cable picks up noise when approaching the antennas. A few meters away is all clear.
Breaking in right now using Beyerdynamic DT880/600 set at high sensitivity and full volume (it is decently listenable).
256GB SD card + 64GB uSD card are on the way.

Just for the heck of it, following on your post, I puled out my DT880/600 and plugged it into the M. Agreed that there is enough volume for most music (well, everything that I have tried to this point) at high gain in the upper range of the slider. To be clear, the 600 ohm version of the DT880 was intended for high-end home amps that swing massive voltage. For a portable player like the M, the standard 250 ohm version would be the better choice. That being said, I agree that it is "decently listenable". Quite decent although I have other headphones that I prefer for the pairing. I do like how the M tames the inclination of the DT880 towards brightness while still retrieving tons of detail. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #3,950 of 6,550
  Cool. I'd love to hear M then.

What? many of your previous posts have suggested that you own the M. 
confused_face(1).gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #3,951 of 6,550
Today I thought to do the following test using the ATH-CKR10 which I believe is a great value for its price. On one end I had Hugo+AK120 while on the other end I had the M on its own set on high impedance setting. I like M more, I really did. Maybe it is because I had spend all this time with M while I left my HUGO aside to test whether it is leaking battery (which it did not).

I do not know what that test means but that is how i feel right now based on that one IEM alone. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #3,953 of 6,550
  Today I thought to do the following test using the ATH-CKR10 which I believe is a great value for its price. On one end I had Hugo+AK120 while on the other end I had the M on its own set on high impedance setting. I like M more, I really did. Maybe it is because I had spend all this time M while I left my HUGO aside to test whether it is leaking battery (which it did not).

I do not know what that test means but that is how i feel right now based on that one IEM alone. 

Cool. I have not heard the Hugo but I am sure that it is great based on opinions that I am hearing from luminaries.

I must say though that I am deeply entranced with the sound quality / signature of the M with my preferred IEM pairings (HO, or LO with certain dynamics; I am working to resolve that). It is super smooth and musical with sweet treble. It can be a bit quirky at times but it is a truly lovely DAP. I am listening to music running around town like never before.

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #3,954 of 6,550

Cool. I have not heard the Hugo but I am sure that it is great based on opinions that I am hearing from luminaries.

I must say though that I am deeply entranced with the sound quality / signature of the M with my preferred IEM pairings (HO, or LO with certain dynamics; I am working to resolve that). It is super smooth and musical with sweet treble. It can be a bit quirky at times but it is a truly lovely DAP. I am listening to music running around town like never before.

I was very frustrated at one point where I was trying to transfer files to it and right after I plugged in the dita IEM that added to my frustration and I was ready to send it back. But glad I did not. The UI and the sound plus that great SD slot makes it a good deal. I am just waiting for their resistor fix and perhaps more fine tuning to get at least 1 more hour of battery.  i am willing to live with 6 hours of battery life. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #3,955 of 6,550
Calyx M + Audeze LCD-XC = perfect match!
Mid impedance setting and 50-70% volume drives it extremely well. Resolution, dynamics, details and textures to die for.

Also tried a Sennheiser HD800 plugged directly (high impedance, 100% volume) and played at listenable volume but of course way below its capacity. It was just for the curiosity.

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #3,956 of 6,550
Calyx M + Audeze LCD-XC = perfect match!
Mid impedance setting and 50-70% volume drives it extremely well. Resolution, dynamics, details and textures to die for.

Also tried a Sennheiser HD800 plugged directly (high impedance, 100% volume) and played at listenable volume but of course way below its capacity. It was just for the curiosity.

I'd love to try that!

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #3,958 of 6,550
I'm very close to ordering one, I'm in Florida. I was originally planning on buying another set of customs, but I think I'm fairly happy with my Ref1 and ASG2. Going to sell my Heir 8.0, and probably buy this.
Anyone try this with a Ref1 yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back