$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jul 23, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #3,931 of 6,550
In light of the above, I take it as a given that the AK240 edges out the M on refinement - which is very impressive given my views of the M's sound quality. Still I will not be buying a $2,500 DAP anytime soon. I love the M and a balanced DAC and cabling for my incoming full size rig is a much higher priority.

I am having a great day with the M. When it is 35 degrees C outside, it does run hot though. Interestingly, my battery life seems to be more stable since the new firmware and switching to the 1.6 amperes charger. I would still like another hour and hopefully further firmware updates will help. 

Cooperpwc,

Whilst I do enjoy my HM901 and AK240, the Calyx M does have it's own place: my own feeling is that for sheer enjoyment of its lush sig, it is something which does not do badly against the other two at all.

If you are in the market for a balanced dac and cables for full sized rig, then that should be your priority. The joy you will get from a desk top or full sized rig will be immense. As I have found out for myself. :)

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #3,932 of 6,550
Cooperpwc,

Whilst I do enjoy my HM901 and AK240, the Calyx M does have it's own place: my own feeling is that for sheer enjoyment of its lush sig, it is something which does not do badly against the other two at all.

If you are in the market for a balanced dac and cables for full sized rig, then that should be your priority. The joy you will get from a desk top or full sized rig will be immense. As I have found out for myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you dont mine me asking what is your favourite IEM to pair with M? Thanks

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #3,933 of 6,550
Jul 23, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #3,935 of 6,550
Hmm...  the Lab1...  I keep telling myself that I do not need this IEM...  I don't even need to hear it...  :devil_face:

Don't cooperpwc! I made that mistake...

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #3,936 of 6,550
my new calyx m, firmware 0.95, only accepts a NTFS formatted micro sd card , though i several times tried with a FAT32 formatted mico sd card (sandisk 64GB extreme), which i even reformatted  to FAT32 especially for this purpose.
Nevertheless the tracks from the NTFS formatted card were scanned and are available in the library - rather strange but goes.

I inserted  the micro sd card via adapter in the sd slot - otherwise there would be a big empty hole in the player or not ?.

The player has a wonderful overviewed and responsive GUI - the library management part is nearly identical to my Samsung Galaxy S 2. The sound comes out very clean and spatial with a thick tune - very impressive on all headphones, Spirit Pro/Fidelio X1/Sennheiser Momentum.

The only downside, which i noticed  - after exactly four (4 !) hours listening to the m , the sound event was over (batteries 4% and shutdown) - i needed 6 hours on the computer´s usb to charge the M before, the dx90 needs only 2 hours on the same port.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #3,937 of 6,550
  my new calyx m, firmware 0.95, only accepts a NTFS formatted micro sd card , though i several times tried with a FAT32 formatted mico sd card (sandisk 64GB extreme), which i even reformatted  to FAT32 especially for this purpose.
Nevertheless the tracks from the NTFS formatted card were scanned and are available in the library - rather strange but goes.

I inserted  the micro sd card via adapter in the sd slot - otherwise there would be a big empty hole in the player or not ?.

The player has a wonderful overviewed and responsive GUI - the library management part is nearly identical to my Samsung Galaxy S 2. The sound comes out very clean and spatial with a thick tune - very impressive on all headphones, Spirit Pro/Fidelio X1/Sennheiser Momentum.

The only downside, which i noticed  - after exactly four (4 !) hours listening to the m , the sound event was over (batteries 4% and shutdown) - i needed 6 hours on the computer´s usb to charge the M before, the dx90 needs only 2 hours on the same port.

Insert the micro sd into micro sd slot ... no need the adapter. Calyx M has two expandable slot: 1 SD card and 1 microSD.
With easy to drive earphones you should be able to get at least 5 hours playback time. For charging, I think it's easier and faster to charge with wall charger.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #3,939 of 6,550
Yes - exactly :wink:!
Another meaningful alternative is to insert a  "real" 128GB QUMOX SD XC for 39,82 €@amazon.de

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #3,941 of 6,550
Just tried Calyx M -> dual mono Dynalo with Dynahi PSU. To my surprise, direct headphone out doesn't sound worse than from the dual mono dynalo.
To my ears, both configurations sound similar enough that I won't be bother to set up the dynalo on daily listening season.

Btw, to replace the battery it's gonna cost 25,000 Korean Won or around 24USD.

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #3,944 of 6,550
Calyx M vs iBasso DX100 / R10... can I hear you guys' opinion? which one sounds better?

HM901 and X5 both sound worse than R10. If AK100 series aren't better than HM901, I can conclude that the top sounding devices are:

R10, Calyx M, AK240

and maybe cowon's P1 but I can't mention P1 here since it hasn't released yet.

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #3,945 of 6,550
Received mine today. Feels very solid and robust in hand. Excellent construction, gives pride of ownership. I found the M:USE software intuitive, quickly updated from factory installed 0.95 to latest 0.96. 
I also got wifi interference if using HiFiMAN RE-600S close to the router, the phone cable picks up noise when approaching the antennas. A few meters away is all clear.
Breaking in right now using Beyerdynamic DT880/600 set at high sensitivity and full volume (it is decently listenable).
256GB SD card + 64GB uSD card are on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back