$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jul 27, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #3,976 of 6,550
  This is odd, I thought people were having problems with dynamics or sensitive headphones with flat impedance under 20ohms?
confused_face(1).gif
  IE800 is 16ohms.  This is intersting that IE800 does well even with reports of flat impedance phones of low impedance that are sensitive making some sort of noise with M.  Probably some have a revision or the new impedance setting fixes it.

Isn't IE800 regarded as warm?  And also the M.  That's warm + warm, which should be very warm, no?

I do not think Calyx M is warm to the point we can easily classify it as one. I had some minor issue with dita truth pairing but that was noticeable only when I A/B it directly from a much more expensive setup. It is not directly noticeable, just a different tunning. My main issue was and still is the XBA-4. On the other hand I had no issue with IM04 which is also another low impedance balance armature. I am not 100% sure what is the cause and cannot pin point it.

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #3,977 of 6,550
  I do not think Calyx M is warm to the point we can easily classify it as one. I had some minor issue with dita truth pairing but that was noticeable only when I A/B it directly from a much more expensive setup. It is not directly noticeable, just a different tunning. My main issue was and still is the XBA-4. On the other hand I had no issue with IM04 which is also another low impedance balance armature. I am not 100% sure what is the cause and cannot pin point it.

Which is setup is this?  Which is your best?  
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #3,978 of 6,550
That would be hugo+wagnus amp plus some not so cheap mini-mini.

i am looking forward to going home and enjoy ie800 and calyx M. I might just get a ciem but it must suit Calyx M.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #3,980 of 6,550
Sorry to miss your post earlier to answer you it is gear related. I don't think wagnus adds to Hugo it is just a different representation. I at time find Hugo little bright and i use wagnus to solve it.

With certain iems the pairing with M is identical to HUGO setup, that only tells me that item is well driven on M to the best it can possibly be so there is no gap in my view.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #3,981 of 6,550
Sorry to miss your post earlier to answer you it is gear related. I don't think wagnus adds to Hugo it is just a different representation. I at time find Hugo little bright and i use wagnus to solve it.

With certain items the pairing with M is identical to HUGO setup, that only tells me that item is well driven on M to the best it can possibly be so there is no gap in my view.

are you telling us that M sounds the same as Hugo + AK240?

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #3,982 of 6,550
  are you telling us that M sounds the same as Hugo + AK240?

No. He meant what he said in his post, which was very clear. If you try to summarize it by saying something else, of course it will not work. I hate when people do that.

What he said, quite explicitely:
  1. Wagnus does not add SQ to Hugo, balances the sound when he feels it is too bright
  2. With certain iems, M performs as well as Hugo + Wagnus, meaning that M is sufficient to maximize the potential of these iems.

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #3,985 of 6,550
I did mean IEM, nokia phones are not easy to type, not that I am any good on the actual full size keyboard. Anyways it is really hard for me to make a definitive comment as I do not own the hm-901, the AK120II or the AK240. My test is based on the gears I own. 

My point was that Mimouille rightly pointed out which is for the gears I own M was enough to make them perform at their best. I am not saying M is better than HUGO. HUGO as a lot to offer than what my current IEM/headphone can perform on. For example if I was ever to go down the root of planar and HD800 and if I was willing to spend the same money on an amp HUGO will offer me a lot more on such setup than what could M offer me on such setup.

Jul 28, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #3,986 of 6,550

My point was that Mimouille rightly pointed out which is for the gears I own M was enough to make them perform at their best.

Since your profile is empty... what gears would that be?

Jul 28, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #3,987 of 6,550

Since your profile is empty... what gears would that be?

Not all my gears but the main one, here is my most to least favourite pairing.
Group (A)These gears sounded their best based on my other combination I have put them through using my gear list

IE800(had a hard time finding a suitable pairing, for long I could only use O2 for it but with M seems to pair with it find, great treble and quiet resolving)
IM04
Orotfon EQ-8
FAD VI
ATH CKR-10
Dita truth (Dita can sound a better but its pairing was not a bad one, it is just that I have heard them sound better which is quiet an achievement in my view for a dynamic IEM)

Group (B)Sounded their best but not enough volume at times.
ER4S

Group (C) They produce the majority of their well known sound characteristic which can be a good or a bad thing depending on your taste. To my taste their normal sound is not what I aquire for and therefore I tend to use other gears to alter their sound to my liking. This is what I would consider a normal synergy.
EX-1000
ES10
T5p
ES10

Gear List:
Chord HUGO
Portaphile 627x
quickstep
ODAC
O2
DD socket 1 muse edition
Ortofon MHd-Q7
Arrow 4G
Monolith sound Potion
AK120
AK100
Gator DAC
Carrot Topaz Saphire DAC
Wagnus Epsilon S

The two IEM which I could not use at all were F111 and XBA-4, both distorted.  

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #3,988 of 6,550
  Anyone have Sennheiser Momentum to try with Calyx M? I'm considering to get the brown color one (should matched nicely with Calyx M color :p).

the brown Momentum has not the same brown color as  the cxM, the ear cups have a green-gray shade of brown, the leather cushions became nearly black in the meanwhile - only my oakley blender sunglasses in brown/bronze are a perfect match.
With none of my other players (x3/dx90) the momentum sounds as well as with the M - therefore i can recomend this combination, especially on the go. Only my Focal Spirit Classics have a better sound, but they are  bit bulky and quite uncomfortable 

for using outdoors and already cracked after 3 weeks.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #3,989 of 6,550
  Not all my gears but the main one, here is my most to least favourite pairing.
Group (A)These gears sounded their best based on my other combination I have put them through using my gear list

IE800(had a hard time finding a suitable pairing, for long I could only use O2 for it but with M seems to pair with it find, great treble and quiet resolving)
IM04
Orotfon EQ-8
FAD VI
ATH CKR-10
Dita truth (Dita can sound a better but its pairing was not a bad one, it is just that I have heard them sound better which is quiet an achievement in my view for a dynamic IEM)

Group (B)Sounded their best but not enough volume at times.
ER4S

Group (C) They produce the majority of their well known sound characteristic which can be a good or a bad thing depending on your taste. To my taste their normal sound is not what I aquire for and therefore I tend to use other gears to alter their sound to my liking. This is what I would consider a normal synergy.
EX-1000
ES10
T5p
ES10

Gear List:
Chord HUGO
Portaphile 627x
quickstep
ODAC
O2
DD socket 1 muse edition
Ortofon MHd-Q7
Arrow 4G
Monolith sound Potion
AK120
AK100
Gator DAC
Carrot Topaz Saphire DAC
Wagnus Epsilon S

The two IEM which I could not use at all were F111 and XBA-4, both distorted.  

Interesting observations. Add the Kaede to the short list of no-go IEMs for direct driving  which is a tragedy. I am listening to them now with the Stepdance between the M and the Kaede. Problem more than remediated: Nathalie Merchant sounds sublime.

However I do not want to use an external amp since the M does not otherwise need one and it ruins the M's portability. I will solve this impedance issue but Calyx... ahem... cough... cough... you should be doing this for us.

Where is that adaptor please?

Thanks in advance. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3,990 of 6,550
the running time of the m is still 4:10 hours with Sennheiser Momentums/Philips X1 - even with the 0.96 firmware. Also the charge time of 5 hours with a wall charger is rather long.
Is it possible to charge with the 2.1 V output of an external battery pack ?

The new offical leather case from calyx looks really precious - for my taste much better as the minerva brown italian leather case from eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back