[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Apr 20, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #3,136 of 7,442
I've been really enjoying my Monk+. I found it to be a true upgrade to the original Monk. It's more detailed, more balanced, and more articulate. When I compare the 2, the original Monk sounds much worse, but I still love the original when not being critical; that how much better the Monk+ is to my ears. Some of you might think that's a big call with my huge rave about the Monk, but I'm dead serious about this one. Lee has really taken on the advise on the community and have turned the knob up to 12 (Original Monk being the 11). I was really scared that tinkering with the Monk formula will ruin it, but Lee has really pulled it off. Just magical!

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #3,137 of 7,442
I've been really enjoying my Monk+. I found it to be a true upgrade to the original Monk. It's more detailed, more balanced, and more articulate. When I compare the 2, the original Monk sounds much worse, but I still love the original when not being critical; that how much better the Monk+ is to my ears. Some of you might think that's a big call with my huge rave about the Monk, but I'm dead serious about this one. Lee has really taken on the advise on the community and have turned the knob up to 12 (Original Monk being the 11). I was really scared that tinkering with the Monk formula will ruin it, but Lee has really pulled it off. Just magical!
pls explain the knob mate? :p

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #3,139 of 7,442
em zuperdac is not here in post

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #3,140 of 7,442
em zuperdac is in post i dont have so dont know how it sounds. i already had a few dacs which i didnt like. i had fiio e10k, ak10 and cozoy i think e10k and ak10 are really pointless didnt see much improvement from iphone, cozoy is better but has low bass. zuperdac seems to have the latest dac and amp chips and is quite cheap 80 euro so i bought it. will use it on iphone with an otg with power cable to charge iphone at same. hopefully its better than iphone, but scince i dont have it i dont know if its better.

one user that i sold ve monk was disapointed was expecting more. I was expecting more from monks too. but em thats the thin sennheiser amperior and hd650 kind of sound for those who like that. i made plenty of mods to them, removed back foam and made holes in foam covers. seems best sound. i prefer flair audio r2a with tea bag mod and vsd3s medium tips. sound is epic. ve monk is very good too though. for 5-7 euro em its good. but i think some people are expecting it to sound like planar magnetic headphones or something. but its still good though. hopefully zuperdac is descent sounding. i know smartphones cant bring very good sound compared to good dacs but its descent enough for convenience on the go for example. dacs usually are too bulky to cary around with cables that are prone to stress from using. probably combination is good of quality and comfort.

How can you be disappointed with the $5 earphone? Lol

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #3,143 of 7,442

I'm looking forward if you have some the to elaborate about this a bit. Original monk seemed to be perfect so I'd love to hear from you, as topic starter, a both more in depth details about a comparison :)

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #3,144 of 7,442
I'm looking forward if you have some the to elaborate about this a bit. Original monk seemed to be perfect so I'd love to hear from you, as topic starter, a both more in depth details about a comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

I will definitely go more into this, but in time. I've just moved house, I'm swamped at work and will be going on holiday very soon, so you won't see anything from me for about a month. When I get some time after everything has cooled down, I will update the opening post and will review the Monk+.

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #3,145 of 7,442

Agreed on what you said. Monk+ to my ears has better treble presence, not harsh as the old Monk and with better extension. Instruments like piano and guitar sound more natural. Bass is a little weak however it is more controlled. Separation is better on the Monk+ and details can be heard more easily.

After spending some time with the Monk+ the old Monk sounds a bit unnatural to me. I think it is time to give away the old Monk and order some Monk+ as spares. That's not to say the old Monk is bad. No way but Monk+ is what I could have asked for the Monk to be. Congratulations Lee and KK for retuning the Monk and making it much better. :beerchug:

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #3,146 of 7,442
Agreed on what you said. Monk+ to my ears has better treble presence, not harsh as the old Monk and with better extension. Instruments like piano and guitar sound more natural. Bass is a little weak however it is more controlled. Separation is better on the Monk+ and details can be heard more easily.

After spending some time with the Monk+ the old Monk sounds a bit unnatural to me. I think it is time to give away the old Monk and order some Monk+ as spares. That's not to say the old Monk is bad. No way but Monk+ is what I could have asked for the Monk to be. Congratulations Lee and KK for retuning the Monk and making it much better. :beerchug:

Treble response is too less? Well that is good news since I found the original monk's treble a bit harsh sometimes.

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #3,148 of 7,442
thats a major turn off now i regret ordering the monk+ as i love mids

The mids aren't as shouty as they used to be though. Use two foams on each bud and it'll give you the warmth of the original monk (with full foam) with better bass response and extension. I find I can listen to a lot more genres than on the original Monk. Treble is definitely not as shrill on some genres as the original was.

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #3,149 of 7,442
The mids aren't as shouty as they used to be though. Use two foams on each bud and it'll give you the warmth of the original monk (with full foam) with better bass response and extension. I find I can listen to a lot more genres than on the original Monk. Treble is definitely not as shrill on some genres as the original was.
so it just a refinement but the upper mids is not that forward

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #3,150 of 7,442
Ordered 2 more Monk+, now the total Monk+ count is 5 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back