[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Apr 19, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #3,121 of 7,442
[quote name="ngoshawk"
Apologies, how do I convert the review to English?

Thank you.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://hifiearbuds.net/%3Fp%3D688&usg=ALkJrhjewFMU56BPdSLvkzL6GqfQwzqF6Q[/quote]

My "japanese google translate" reading skills aren't that great. But I'm pretty sure the review says they are great, and that Lee is reckkess lol :) :wink:

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #3,124 of 7,442
...spent some time with the VE Monk and the Monk Plus today. I used my Pono player to put them through their paces. 

Bottom line: the Plus is more controlled, and sounds a touch more refined. The real differences I think (and this echoes the video above's sentiment) are the higher quality materials...I set both my pairs up the same way: one full Hiegi foam, no rubber rings, no donut foams, strictly old-school, earbud style 
etysmile.gif

The Monk in its current form still kicks arse. Incredible what $5 gets you these days. Makes a man question his spending habits...

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #3,125 of 7,442
  Why did you edit out your advice for the Zuperdac? 

Good question! They may sound great straight off of a phone, but I'm sure they are going to sound awesome off of the ZuperDAC.

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #3,126 of 7,442
  Cheers Lee and all VE fans. 

Great vid and review! You have convinced me to start stretching my ear holes in preparation for the Monk+ & quintuplet foams (since I can't really grow my ear-holes) 
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #3,127 of 7,442
Great vid and review! You have convinced me to start stretching my ear holes in preparation for the Monk+ & quintuplet foams (since I can't really grow my ear-holes) :D  
you cant go wrong with the ve monk :)

Apr 19, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #3,128 of 7,442
Thanks Aornic for the funny review :p

Interestingly, the Asian review on the link places the old Monk higher in regards to mids and highs and says, that the bass is better on the Plus.

Sounds like one needs some amping power and the foams to get the bass back. As an addition, you have slightly more resolution and better build quality according to your review.

If you do not analyze properties but just go with the fun and enjoyment factor, which one would you prefer?

Apr 19, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #3,129 of 7,442
if u r talking about that japanese one, i am pretty sure he said bass and treble is greatly improved, but the mids are not as forward .(i did my degree in japan, so i can read them directly, could be misleading with google trans though lol)

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #3,131 of 7,442
  Thanks Aornic for the funny review :p

Interestingly, the Asian review on the link places the old Monk higher in regards to mids and highs and says, that the bass is better on the Plus.

Sounds like one needs some amping power and the foams to get the bass back. As an addition, you have slightly more resolution and better build quality according to your review.

If you do not analyze properties but just go with the fun and enjoyment factor, which one would you prefer?

Monk+

I really dig how low it can reach with a mix of two foams + EQ without losing the mids or highs.

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #3,132 of 7,442
if u r talking about that japanese one, i am pretty sure he said bass and treble is greatly improved, but the mids are not as forward .(i did my degree in japan, so i can read them directly, could be misleading with google trans though lol)

Thanks Lee! :) Yes Google translate is unreliable when it comes to precision :p

Monk+

I really dig how low it can reach with a mix of two foams + EQ without losing the mids or highs.

Ok, then have to order some as it seems :D

Apr 20, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #3,133 of 7,442
Can i ask what is the main difference between monk and monk+? Still waiting for my monk+ :p

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #3,135 of 7,442
It seems monk+ doesn't have those warm "liquid" (lol) mids the original monk has. It should be more natural but I'm not sure that is a good thing. Those mids were really killing on original monk.
thats a major turn off now i regret ordering the monk+ as i love mids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back