19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
Feb 22, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #241 of 687

Quote:
I'm fairly certain I will be reviewing it soon.

Nice! Looking forward to it.
Also, is it significantly thicker than the TWag v2? Looks alot thicker from the pictures I've seen and not sure if its going to be a nuisance and result in microphonics when walking etc.
And as for the bands at the area close to the pins, does it have any memory effect? Any reason why it is there?

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #242 of 687
From the looks of it, the bands seem to have a memory wire effect. 

I wouldn't know about thickness as I haven't seen it yet, but I assume you're right. Probably not the kind of cable that's ideal for on-the-go use. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #243 of 687
If you can verify it is that end, it really shouldn't matter what is connected to the shell connectors.  I would recommend re-explaining the situation.  However, if you do have 2 failures at the same place, you should look at how you are using the cable.  I know that some people can be extremely rough on cables, such as continuously bending them since they are in a tight pocket while walking, or pulled out by the cable, or bent at severe angles, etc.  I am not saying you are doing that, but check your usage patterns.

Thanks for the explanation, never store or place my cables in a pocket though, when comes to expensive stuff most stays home on my table. I certainly avoid winding cables up and things like that during, neither like to store them in a small box for same reason. Well if that's not enough keeping it away from breaking, then I don't know.
Keep up the great cable reviews, really like this thread!

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #244 of 687

Quote:
Anyone tried the hybrid TWag and TWcu from Whiplash? Curious as to how it sounds and if it is worth getting.

Thanks.

I wish I had more...time...

Quote:
I'm fairly certain I will be reviewing it soon.

Very cool!

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, never store or place my cables in a pocket though, when comes to expensive stuff most stays home on my table. I certainly avoid winding cables up and things like that during, neither like to store them in a small box for same reason. Well if that's not enough keeping it away from breaking, then I don't know.
Keep up the great cable reviews, really like this thread!

Thanks!  It sounds like you are easy on your gear, I hope you get your issues resolved.

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #245 of 687
@average_joe
I'm looking at the arete on null audio's site.  Is the cable they are selling the same as the one you reviewed?  You listed the arete and the lune as both having silver wire.  When I look on the site it lists the lune as having silver wire but arete as having multi stranded ofc. Pardon my ignorance but I dont know what multi strand ofc is.  The one you reviewed had the nylon sleeve on it and you suggested that was the way to go.  I did not see that as an option on null's site.  If it is I wonder what the cost is to add it.  I know you made the review before the arete was out and now Im curious with the current prices and what the cables are made of currently etc if you still feel the same way. Also thanks for all the time and effort put into this thread.                                              

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #246 of 687

Quote:
@average_joe
I'm looking at the arete on null audio's site.  Is the cable they are selling the same as the one you reviewed?  You listed the arete and the lune as both having silver wire.  When I look on the site it lists the lune as having silver wire but arete as having multi stranded ofc. Pardon my ignorance but I dont know what multi strand ofc is.  The one you reviewed had the nylon sleeve on it and you suggested that was the way to go.  I did not see that as an option on null's site.  If it is I wonder what the cost is to add it.  I know you made the review before the arete was out and now Im curious with the current prices and what the cables are made of currently etc if you still feel the same way. Also thanks for all the time and effort put into this thread.                                              

I will send them an email to ask if they made any changes to the cable they sent to me as they sent it before it was officially released.  I ran the review by them asking if everything was correct, and they responded that it was, which is why I listed the wire as silver.  I guess it is OFC, which is oxygen free copper.  I am sure you can ask for the braid, but I am not sure about the possible cost.  Sorry for the confusion.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #247 of 687

Quote:
I will send them an email to ask if they made any changes to the cable they sent to me as they sent it before it was officially released.  I ran the review by them asking if everything was correct, and they responded that it was, which is why I listed the wire as silver.  I guess it is OFC, which is oxygen free copper.  I am sure you can ask for the braid, but I am not sure about the possible cost.  Sorry for the confusion.

No need to apologize.  Thanks again for all your effort.  And now I know what OFC is.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #248 of 687
Would like to c reviews on the whiplash hybrid iem cables. Have been wanting to buy but seems there's too little user review on this little gem.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #249 of 687
I messaged Null and asked if they could put the Nylon sleeve on the Arete and what it would cost.  I got a message back today

[size=10.5pt]"We can do that for additional S$15.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]However, it can only be done in B/W combination as you found on the Lune series due to some sleeve diameter restrictions.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]Please do let me know, thank you!"[/size]

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #250 of 687

Quote:
Would like to c reviews on the whiplash hybrid iem cables. Have been wanting to buy but seems there's too little user review on this little gem.

In due time...

Quote:
I messaged Null and asked if they could put the Nylon sleeve on the Arete and what it would cost.  I got a message back today

[size=10.5pt]"We can do that for additional S$15.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]However, it can only be done in B/W combination as you found on the Lune series due to some sleeve diameter restrictions.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]Please do let me know, thank you!"[/size]

I received the same answer about the sleeve.  And there was just a mis-communication about the material, they confirmed I reviewed the same cable they are selling now.  The material really doesn't matter as the end result is the important thing.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #251 of 687

Quote:
In due time...

I received the same answer about the sleeve.  And there was just a mis-communication about the material, they confirmed I reviewed the same cable they are selling now.  The material really doesn't matter as the end result is the important thing.

Fantastic thanks for finding out.  Time to put an order in.

Placed my order for the Arete with the nylon sleeve on it.  One last thanks for all your work on reviewing.  It was crucial for my decision making process!

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #252 of 687

Quote:
Fantastic thanks for finding out.  Time to put an order in.

Placed my order for the Arete with the nylon sleeve on it.  One last thanks for all your work on reviewing.  It was crucial for my decision making process!

I'd just like to point out that it is possible to have the black Arete cable with a sleeve on it, I have one. I got mine from treoo.com which had the option to put it on for both the black and b/w for the same cost of SGD$15.

I've had my Arete for a week or so and I love them, infinitely better than the stock cables.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #255 of 687
Hello everybody, I read all the reviews and they were awesome, so I decided to buy a new cable for my little JH16 baby and due to my doubts on how a cable could improve the sound of my IEM I decided I wouldn't spend $ 300 on a cable. So I read the Chris_himself review and decided to give it a shot.

As a side note : I have been training for the past month with the help of the Harman How To Listen App to be able to see the differences between stock and CH cable.

I got it yesterday and let me tell you that the sound really made me feel as if I bought a new Pair of IEMs. THe JH16 just sounded better. Better instrument placement, better highs, and really REALLY better bass.

The JH16 just feel perfect with the Chris_himself cable.

THanks again everybody for the reviews and thank you to Chris for making affordable cables that are better than what you paid for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back