19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
Feb 6, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #211 of 687
Thanks for the review Vonn.. It's so crazy reading these reviews and especially Joe's review considering I build these things out of higher quality materials just because if I can make something really well I just will, and it was just a structural and ornamental upgrade to stock cables. I'm very flattered and I hope you enjoy them for a long time.

Happy listening my friend.

Also the Patriots had it up til the incomplete pass and eventual turnover

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #212 of 687
Reading about the Chris_himself cables, I'm really excited to receive mine.

Quote:
Hi I just jump on the IEM bandwagon. I have been using cx300 for years and been using Sennheisers also like HD 212 pro and HD202.
I bought my Ultimate ears at the Blackfirday Amazon. was wondering if you could add a review for the Fiio and Oyaide ones for Ultimate ears?
Because I was thinking which is good for my UE Triplefi 10 Chris cables or the Oyaide ones. Thanks have a nice day

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't oyaide just a make for plugs?

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #213 of 687

Quote:
Hi I just jump on the IEM bandwagon. I have been using cx300 for years and been using Sennheisers also like HD 212 pro and HD202.
I bought my Ultimate ears at the Blackfirday Amazon. was wondering if you could add a review for the Fiio and Oyaide ones for Ultimate ears?
Because I was thinking which is good for my UE Triplefi 10 Chris cables or the Oyaide ones. Thanks have a nice day

I am not planning on adding any cables until I reduce my backlog of CIEMs and finish my amp reviews, but I will be adding cables.  I also have to do a balanced vs. SE output from the 801 review...

Can you please provide a link to the Oyaide cable?

Quote:
I have been using Chris' silveray iem cable and Id like to share my thoughts. I have paired them with tf10s and compared them to the stock cables.

I am not an audiophile linguist, as such I will just speak my ear. :)

The most prominent affect were on vocals. Previously I felt vocals were behind the instruments. Its as if the singer moved from behind the band to in front of the band, if you will.

I felt the higher frequency notes on violins improved. I felt they became sharper and crisper.  I now hear the bow move across the strings more clearly. Being a violinist I felt reproduction was artificial. Accuracy just seemed lacking, something didn't sound right. It is definitely the drivers and not the cable. After consulting a friend during half time, I realized that one will rarely hear the same sound while playing and listening. Having said that I don't think tf10 is good match for classical music but I digress.

Live recordings also improved slightly. It was the accuracy of the drums and increased acoustic resonance that I felt was worthy of mentioning.

Lastly there are definitely micro-phonics.

I am not very good at describing these kind of things and hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Congrats Giant fans good game

Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Reading about the Chris_himself cables, I'm really excited to receive mine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't oyaide just a make for plugs?

Let us know what you think when you get them.  And yes, Oyaide is a plug manufacturer.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #214 of 687
Here is a link from Ebay I saw a discussion about this in headfi but I cant seem to find it. Still new in the forums sorry.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oyaide-HPC-UE-1-3-Ultimate-Ears-Triple-Fi10-Replacing-Cable-1-3m-/300660093174?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4600bcf0f6

on the Fiio I found this one in the forums

http://www.head-fi.org/t/581648/fiio-rc-ue1-support-more-models-of-earphone

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #215 of 687
Both of those look interesting, thanks for bringing them to my attention.  Sorry I can't help at the moment, but once I clear up my review backlog (4 CIEMs to review, 1 amp, and balanced vs. single ended comparison from the 801) I will look into those.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #216 of 687
Thanks for all the great cable reviews!  This site really is a worldwide asset to audiophiles everywhere of all different levels. Average Joe really has a special place in this community.

So a couple questions...

It seems that the majority of the cables reviewed here are silver, specifically high purity 6n stranded silver.  Considering that they have the same basic composition, when comparing one such silver cable to another (ex: twag v2 and the arete), is the difference in sound that apparent?

What do you think accounts for the differences? The method that they are made? (OCC, cryogenic, etc.), the way they are braided?, the end plug used?

Thanks for all the help Joe, can't wait to read about the next CIEMs you pick up!

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #217 of 687
Your welcome and I am glad this thread is useful.  

Is the difference that apparent?  It will depend on each person.  This software makes my point, the higher a level you can get to with this, the more apparent the differences will most likely be.  I know that over the past several years I have developed my ability to hear differences, so for me there can be a significant difference between cables.  A test is, if you can't A/B is to listen with an aftermarket cable for a few days and get used to it (after burn in, which I do believe in) and then switch to the stock cable and see if, over a short period of time, you notice any degredation in sound.  It is often easier to hear a step down than a step up.

I can't say why one silver cable sounds better than the other that it most likely has to do with the capacitive and inductive properties of which part is the insulation, thickness (gauge), stranding, and braiding all play a role.

I would like to review more cables including some additional copper ones, but I do have a large backlog at the moment.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #219 of 687

Quote:
That's awesome!  Thanks for sharing that.  I guess I won't be getting much work done today, going to try it out with my new ESW9.

Are you on level 8 yet :wink:

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #220 of 687
Wow, that was eye (or ear) opening.  So far I've only done the first Band ID session and I did get to 8 but could not believe how quickly by success rate plummeted from 5 to 8, at 101 trails I saved and exited and now back to 7.  I can say one thing, I will NOT review another headphone until I complete the training sessions.  This really should be required training for any headphone reviewer.  This is an EXCELLENT tool, especially to find ones strengths and weaknesses in the way an individual hears and will certainly help in describing the traits of a particular headphone. 

Thanks Again!

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #221 of 687

Quote:
Wow, that was eye (or ear) opening.  So far I've only done the first Band ID session and I did get to 8 but could not believe how quickly by success rate plummeted from 5 to 8, at 101 trails I saved and exited and now back to 7.  I can say one thing, I will NOT review another headphone until I complete the training sessions.  This really should be required training for any headphone reviewer.  This is an EXCELLENT tool, especially to find ones strengths and weaknesses in the way an individual hears and will certainly help in describing the traits of a particular headphone. 

Thanks Again!

Yes, this is a great tool.  Most reviewers out there (not necessarily the ones on head-fi, but mainstream) would probably not do so well with this test, that is if they would even take the time to try this. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #222 of 687
Well, sadly, my stock TF10 cables are only 4 days old and already coming apart at the Y splitter. A bit of gaffer taping the chin slider to the splitter is going to have to do for now but I'm looking to replace it, maybe with the ES8 cable. Question is, would it help if I coated it with plasti-dip to stop it from unbraiding itself and help durability?

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #223 of 687
Wow, that didn't take long!  I am not familiar with plasti-dip, so I am not sure how that will affect things and if it will give the desired effect without causing other issues.  

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #224 of 687
Yeah, I saw that in your review, but I didn't like it anyways lol.

Quote:

I think you could have heated it with a hair dryer and reshaped it!

I am not sure what is going on since I haven't experienced the same thing with my JH16 or any of my other CIEMs that use the same cable.  The TWag and Simbiote cables are non-microphonic.

Some day...

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #225 of 687
Wouldn't that make the cable stiffer?

Quote:
Well, sadly, my stock TF10 cables are only 4 days old and already coming apart at the Y splitter. A bit of gaffer taping the chin slider to the splitter is going to have to do for now but I'm looking to replace it, maybe with the ES8 cable. Question is, would it help if I coated it with plasti-dip to stop it from unbraiding itself and help durability?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back