19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
Jan 27, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #196 of 687

Quote:
Quick question, if you had a $500 budget, will you spend it on a new cable and LOD or purchase an amp/dac (amp-less and dac-less at the moment)?

Thanks.

It really depends on your current equipment.  What headphones/IEMs do you have and what is your current source?  Are there any particular things you are looking for/looking to avoid?

Quote:
Has anyone tried Lune Cables on Unique Melody Recessed sockets? I've read in OP that your can flatten the connectors with pliers to make it fit snugly on bigger sockets.

If not, are these Lune Cables compatible with "flat" sockets instead?

The Lune cables don't fit recessed sockets, which should include UM stuff.  You may be able to trim the shell plug to fit, but that could ruin the integrity of the plug.  What do you mean by flat sockets?

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #197 of 687
^ Thank you for the response

Unique Melody,as I understand, offers two kinds of socket configurations. Recessed and Flat. I've asked Null-audio about the Lune cable with TF10 pins' compatibility with "flat" sockets. They confirmed that they do indeed fit.

I'm hoping for a confirmation from someone who knows and is sure that this works.

Also, what kind of sockets do the JH16's use?

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #198 of 687
I think when I say flush, that is what you refer to as flat, and any TF10 cable will fit into larger sockets with a bit of flattening of the pins.  However, if the plug is made for the protruding socket of the TF10, the pins may not fit all that deep and therefore not be as secure as a cable made specifically for a flush socket.  However, I am sure Null can make it the way you need it.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #200 of 687
Jan 31, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #201 of 687
I just wanted to mention for my reshelled TF10, I had to cut the memory wire on my Arete cable, bc the curve was really not working with my ear, it was pulling of the pins, and the memory wire isn't bendable..

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #202 of 687

Quote:

That seems odd, let us know what happens.

Hi all,

Well I got my JH16 and the cable is the Silver one (my JH13 are black and weirdly shorter in the Y section) and unfortunately it is just as noisy as the JH13 cable. When I am sat still its all fine, but once I am on the train, its a real pain. All the swaying and rocking in my seat on the train obviously moves the cable around a lot and unless my music is quite loud, I am very aware of the rubbing and knocking against my cheeks and shirt collars.

As my JH16 (and JH13 to be used as the template) are on their way back to JH Audio for a fit issue, I have been using my T1s again and its now really obvious how spoilt I have been. The T1s are completely quiet without any noise from banging and rubbing on my train journeys.

I have to say that I am very disappointed with the JH cables in comparison and expected better considering the price of them. The rubbing effectively makes them useless for my commute as I am very aware of it, which spoils my musical enjoyment.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement cable?

Thanks

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #204 of 687

Quote:
I just wanted to mention for my reshelled TF10, I had to cut the memory wire on my Arete cable, bc the curve was really not working with my ear, it was pulling of the pins, and the memory wire isn't bendable..

I think you could have heated it with a hair dryer and reshaped it!

Quote:
Hi all,

Well I got my JH16 and the cable is the Silver one (my JH13 are black and weirdly shorter in the Y section) and unfortunately it is just as noisy as the JH13 cable. When I am sat still its all fine, but once I am on the train, its a real pain. All the swaying and rocking in my seat on the train obviously moves the cable around a lot and unless my music is quite loud, I am very aware of the rubbing and knocking against my cheeks and shirt collars.

As my JH16 (and JH13 to be used as the template) are on their way back to JH Audio for a fit issue, I have been using my T1s again and its now really obvious how spoilt I have been. The T1s are completely quiet without any noise from banging and rubbing on my train journeys.

I have to say that I am very disappointed with the JH cables in comparison and expected better considering the price of them. The rubbing effectively makes them useless for my commute as I am very aware of it, which spoils my musical enjoyment.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement cable?

Thanks

I am not sure what is going on since I haven't experienced the same thing with my JH16 or any of my other CIEMs that use the same cable.  The TWag and Simbiote cables are non-microphonic.

Quote:
Maybe it is worth adding a rating for Microphonics to all the cables reviewed?

This ia major factor for a lot of people including myself.

Some day...

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #205 of 687
Forgot to thank you Average_Joe on a great set of reviews! :)

Does the Chris_Himself cable have much microphonics? I bought a nice little cable on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320829191886?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Very cheap and very well made I have to say. Is nice and soft but carrys microphonics so badly that I have to be very still otherwise I can hear the cable scraping my clothes etc.

Anyone got any suggestions for cheapish (<$100) cable that would give a good lift to Triple Fi 10s as well as have little memory effect and low/no microphonics?

Cheers

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #206 of 687
From what I've heard the Chris_Himself cable is great value for the price, but as it's a stiff cable, you'll probably be experiencing some of that "scratching against jacket" sound.

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #207 of 687
average_joe

I'm sure I cant be the only person that finds the stock JH cables noisy? Did you not have ANY rubbing\knocking from the stock JH cables?

I'll investigate the TWag and Simbiote cables further. By the way, do you think they are less microphonic than the standard JH cables?

Thanks

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #208 of 687

Quote:
Forgot to thank you Average_Joe on a great set of reviews! :)

Does the Chris_Himself cable have much microphonics? I bought a nice little cable on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320829191886?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Very cheap and very well made I have to say. Is nice and soft but carrys microphonics so badly that I have to be very still otherwise I can hear the cable scraping my clothes etc.

Anyone got any suggestions for cheapish (<$100) cable that would give a good lift to Triple Fi 10s as well as have little memory effect and low/no microphonics?

Cheers

From my review in the first post "With much less flexibility than all the other cables I have tried to date the cable can be unwieldy at times and has more microphonics than other cables during movement."

Interesting cable, but is that truly a Furutech cable, or just someone using the name?  

The Null Audio Arete is a great cable for the TF10 IMO at a great price.

Quote:
From what I've heard the Chris_Himself cable is great value for the price, but as it's a stiff cable, you'll probably be experiencing some of that "scratching against jacket" sound.

You want the heat shrink which reduces microphonics, and while it is still stiff, it is easier to use.

Quote:
average_joe

I'm sure I cant be the only person that finds the stock JH cables noisy? Did you not have ANY rubbing\knocking from the stock JH cables?

I'll investigate the TWag and Simbiote cables further. By the way, do you think they are less microphonic than the standard JH cables?

Thanks

Honestly, the only person I have heard of.  If there are others, I hope they speak up, but I have read about people from time to time having severe microphonics issues with various IEMs that others didn't have issues with, and I think it has as much to do with the person's individual anatomy as anything else.

For your case it is purely a guess, but they are microphonic free for me, but so are the stock cables.

Have you tried wearing the cable down your back or used a shirt clip?

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #209 of 687
Hi I just jump on the IEM bandwagon. I have been using cx300 for years and been using Sennheisers also like HD 212 pro and HD202.
I bought my Ultimate ears at the Blackfirday Amazon. was wondering if you could add a review for the Fiio and Oyaide ones for Ultimate ears?
Because I was thinking which is good for my UE Triplefi 10 Chris cables or the Oyaide ones. Thanks have a nice day

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #210 of 687
I have been using Chris' silveray iem cable and Id like to share my thoughts. I have paired them with tf10s and compared them to the stock cables.

I am not an audiophile linguist, as such I will just speak my ear. :)

The most prominent affect were on vocals. Previously I felt vocals were behind the instruments. Its as if the singer moved from behind the band to in front of the band, if you will.

I felt the higher frequency notes on violins improved. I felt they became sharper and crisper.  I now hear the bow move across the strings more clearly. Being a violinist I felt reproduction was artificial. Accuracy just seemed lacking, something didn't sound right. It is definitely the drivers and not the cable. After consulting a friend during half time, I realized that one will rarely hear the same sound while playing and listening. Having said that I don't think tf10 is good match for classical music but I digress.

Live recordings also improved slightly. It was the accuracy of the drums and increased acoustic resonance that I felt was worthy of mentioning.

Lastly there are definitely micro-phonics.

I am not very good at describing these kind of things and hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Congrats Giant fans good game

Users who are viewing this thread

Back