「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Sep 8, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #168,196 of 177,745
  I'm personally for it as strange as this sounds.

Device pairing technologies have enough bandwidth now to not cause any issues so for on-the-go use I honestly think Bluetooth headphones are perfectly fine, albeit not in the style of the new AirPods because that just seems like a huge UX design mistake. Something in line with the LG Tone or Sony h.ear in Wireless IMO is the perfect wireless headphone design for in-ears. Supra-aural and circumaural headphones have little to change in terms of design to accomodate wireless. ex. BeoPlay H8, etc.

I do like the argument that the guy in Mice's article presented with headphone cables breaking first. My MH1C's that kalbee sent me are almost dead and I got them in basically mint condition and I barely use them. The strain reliefs on them are basically broken and the cable itself is just annoying to deal with.

In general the cable isn't annoying but whenever I put it away we get tangles as suspected and there are times where the cable gets caught and actually pulls my iPod out of my pocket (it's a 50/50 between iPod falls out or in-ear falls out, surprisingly).

So long as wireless headphones are able to last 24 hours on a single charge there shouldn't be an issue with them because we always tend to charge our stuff as soon as we get home.

I would prefer if these wireless headphones came with a USB-C in because that will make charging and using them at the same time quite nice, unlike the AirPods which can only charge or play music, not both at the same time.

Pushing wireless connectivity is one thing, I use a BT receiver most of the time myself...
But removing wired connectivity is another thing, they just basically screwed quite a number of musicians and audio technicians because the new iPhone will not work with their existing systems.
I know a few indie musicians who actually use their iPhones as a synth for their gigs.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #168,197 of 177,745

Pushing wireless connectivity is one thing, I use a BT receiver most of the time myself...
But removing wired connectivity is another thing, they just basically screwed quite a number of musicians and audio technicians because the new iPhone will not work with their existing systems.
I know a few indie musicians who actually use their iPhones as a synth for their gigs.

It's mostly because Apple decided to give a nice hard shove instead of a light, long push.

Ideally their strategy should be to begin introducing hi-fi wireless audio equipment beforehand and then remove the headphone jack but I guess they thought things were moving too slow and decided to do both at the same time. Technically the rumors should have gotten that going but Bluetooth 5 isn't out yet (although some of the Bluetooth 4 codecs can do high bitrate lossless audio transfer) and the most progress we saw was in Lightning headphones, not Bluetooth headphones.

It's very messy right now because if they wanted to do everything at once, it should have been:

Wireless charging + no headphone jack (lightning only) + smart connector = maximum usability w/o the headphone jack.

So ideally the iPhone 7 should support wireless charging so that the single lightning port stays free when you charge it (either they bundle the wireless charging pad or sell it separately, most likely the latter if they want to earn extra cash or the former if they just raise the price of the entire package altogether).

The Bluetooth headphones must include a Lightning-in port so that you can charge them while listening to them.

For those who use battery cases (external power bank users, you're out of luck), Apple needs to keep the Smart Connector and have battery cases work like how the current MotoMod accessories work so that you also don't need to use the lightning port for that. Battery cases with built-in wireless charging are probably extremely expensive to make and also extremely bulky so I don't see that as a solution but I don't know the specifics so take this with a grain of salt.

Technically for people who use external batteries, they can get the setup to work but it requires 2 cables from the battery; one that goes to the phone and one that goes to the headphone. That's not a very elegant solution so it's something that should be avoided. You have this really strange chain going from phone to external battery to headphones which is probably horrible to use so this shouldn't even be considered viable.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #168,198 of 177,745

Indeed. I wanna find the guys who made those decisions and knee those mofos in the groin/solar plexus.

------------------------
On a side note:

Meanwhile, people are still waiting for the Mixerface by CEntrance to be shipped. The campaigned started years ago and they are still waiting...

;A;

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #168,199 of 177,745
  burnt down the house of the person

find the guys who made those decisions and knee those mofos

Ya 「nerds」 need to calm down.
Pls no bouryoku.

Wireless isn't that bad unless you're in a fustercluck of radio waves like in a crowded train station.
It's so liberating... and doesn't pose ear hazard like accidentally tugging an Etymotic from your ear.

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #168,200 of 177,745

Pls no bouryoku.

Wireless isn't that bad unless you're in a fustercluck of radio waves like in a crowded train station.
It's so liberating... and doesn't pose ear hazard like accidentally tugging an Etymotic from your ear.

YOU CALM DOWN WE ARE CALM, CAN YOU EVEN BALANCE WIRELESS I DON'T THINK SO LITTLE PUNK.

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #168,201 of 177,745

I'm personally for it as strange as this sounds.

Device pairing technologies have enough bandwidth now to not cause any issues so for on-the-go use I honestly think Bluetooth headphones are perfectly fine, albeit not in the style of the new AirPods because that just seems like a huge UX design mistake. Something in line with the LG Tone or Sony h.ear in Wireless IMO is the perfect wireless headphone design for in-ears. Supra-aural and circumaural headphones have little to change in terms of design to accomodate wireless. ex. BeoPlay H8, etc.

I do like the argument that the guy in Mice's article presented with headphone cables breaking first. My MH1C's that kalbee sent me are almost dead and I got them in basically mint condition and I barely use them. The strain reliefs on them are basically broken and the cable itself is just annoying to deal with.

In general the cable isn't annoying but whenever I put it away we get tangles as suspected and there are times where the cable gets caught and actually pulls my iPod out of my pocket (it's a 50/50 between iPod falls out or in-ear falls out, surprisingly).

So long as wireless headphones are able to last 24 hours on a single charge there shouldn't be an issue with them because we always tend to charge our stuff as soon as we get home.

I would prefer if these wireless headphones came with a USB-C in because that will make charging and using them at the same time quite nice, unlike the AirPods which can only charge or play music, not both at the same time.

Removing options for zero gain. Right!

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #168,202 of 177,745
It's mostly because Apple decided to give a nice hard shove instead of a light, long push.

I know they're pushing it but IMO they're not really encouraging it.
I mean c'mon, why can't they just include the airpods instead of that adapter that supports your old, rusty, antique headphones? If they want people to experience wireless music listening, they should've included it instead of charging $159...

Well, I don't bother myself with iPhones but it's funny enough to see the "3.5mm limits your music quality" arguments on the internet.

On the other hand, this phone interests me more.

01-Onkyo-DP-X1-Smartphone-1024x682.jpg

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #168,203 of 177,745
Sep 8, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #168,204 of 177,745
IMO it's not about the fact that they took the jack out. It's more about the fact that now i can't use any of my IEMs or portable headphones that i loved so much. Not only that but now i have to use batteries to use my headphones.

or wait, i can use my old headphones BUT NOW I HAVE TO PAY AN EXTRA TO USE THEM

i just don't like it. I don't like this at all

P.D. I'm assuming that since the schiity Apple Earbuds are costing 159$ the retail price of the iPhone is aumented right? Smooth one apple

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #168,205 of 177,745
IMO it's not about the fact that they took the jack out. It's more about the fact that now i can't use any of my IEMs or portable headphones that i loved so much. Not only that but now i have to use batteries to use my headphones.

or wait, i can use my old headphones BUT NOW I HAVE TO PAY AN EXTRA TO USE THEM

i just don't like it. I don't like this at all

P.D. I'm assuming that since the schiity Apple Earbuds are costing 159$ the retail price of the iPhone is aumented right? Smooth one apple

Adapter comes in the box so technically you don't have to pay more to use them.

Anybody can still use their traditional wired gear. It's just a matter of if people are willing to deal with the inconvenience.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #168,206 of 177,745
Well, Apple isn't the first to do this though...
I think some old Sony Ericsson phones and Nokia Windows phones also didn't have headphone jack and instead that schiitty weird proprietary connector. Now they're unheard of, probably because they're so small compared to Apple.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #168,207 of 177,745
Pls no bouryoku.

What's wrong with having the choice of using Bluetooth and wired options? ;-;

Just don't use Etymotics with your phone...

;-;

Is it too much to ask for one more option, the most popular option, which has existed for over a century? ;-;

...;-;

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #168,208 of 177,745
Well, Apple isn't the first to do this though...
I think some old Sony Ericsson phones and Nokia Windows phones also didn't have headphone jack and instead that schiitty weird proprietary connector. Now they're unheard of, probably because they're so small compared to Apple.

I had one phone like that. Never understood why though. Once the earphones broke, there are no ways of using them for music anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back