「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Sep 8, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #168,167 of 177,746
  I get the rainbow beach ball for almost every action I do.
It's worst when using firefox and crashes sometimes.
Response is just sluggish overall.

I have the 2.4GHz i5, 8GB RAM model.

Oh and pressing Cmd+Opt+Power doesn't do anything half the time.

Most of my hate actually stem from the fact that they are forcefully pushing their usage habits onto their users.
like how the 3-finger drag is now an accessibility feature (am I disabled for not liking to drag my finger while holding it down?)
and how the power button behaves completely different to what I've been using for many years with no way to revert it.

Second thoughts of buying into peeps saying Apples don't slow down ever? :p

I kid.

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #168,168 of 177,746
  Second thoughts of buying into peeps saying Apples don't slow down ever? :p

I kid.

Depends on usage.. I've always experienced slight slow-downs since my first mac 10 years ago (I had the first-gen white Macbook).
but the degree is nothing compared to now, it's like windows all over again.... :frowning2:

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #168,169 of 177,746

cup noodle flavored chips.... wut?

Kind of want to try... But at the same time I don't want to even get close to those :X

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #168,170 of 177,746
Xiaomi has their mi5 in black ceramic and has somehow survived drop tests...
That said, to make your phone thin and then advise your customers to undo all that with a case ... OK.

That's how it is and that's how it's going to always be though until we have scratch resistance and shatter resistance good enough that we won't have to care anymore.

And even then some people will still get cases because it gives their phone their own "personality" (and if not a case, skins or stickers).

And some will still be paranoid so they'll still get case. I can't blame them because, especially in the case of flagships, you've spent hundreds of dollars on one.

Most of my hate actually stem from the fact that they are forcefully pushing their usage habits onto their users.
like how the 3-finger drag is now an accessibility feature (am I disabled for not liking to drag my finger while holding it down?)
and how the power button behaves completely different to what I've been using for many years with no way to revert it.

It's kind of the nature of design though.

It's a weird tug of war relationship between designers and consumers. There are times where consumers really do know what's best for them and other times where the designers know better (this is all subjective of course). The easiest way to think of it is that designers are like the people who kind of gently push the general population into the "right" direction. Push too hard and they get angry. It's a very strange game of appeasement in a sense.

Which happened yesterday but we'll see how the initial outrage pans out.

I personally don't see this going all too well. Apple gave a very confused push yesterday, specifically regarding the headphone jack.

Their biggest reason being "Courage" was questionable, not only because that in itself sounds like a very silly argument but also because that "courage" seems very small considering they included a lightning to 3.5mm adapter in the box. They were courageous at first then realized they made a lot of people angry.

If they really wanted to push hard for that wireless future then they shouldn't be including that adapter. They also make that wireless future pretty hard to buy in to with the Airpods at $160 which are also, IMO, quite poorly designed. They're stylish (kind of?) I guess but practically it's a horrible design as far as losing them goes. They also only last 5 hours with music playing and can't be used while charging which seems quite pointless (if they included wireless charging in the iPhone 7 I'm sure it would have made a ton more sense).

Anyways we'll all be waiting for that delicious digital audio DRM. :p

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #168,171 of 177,746
Originally Posted by miceblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

whywouldyoudothat.jpg

You mean the aspect ratio? Apple probably wanted to keep the ppi for more consistent Retina scaling, so they had to round off the non-standard resolution. 1334/(16/9) = 750.375 and 750*(16/9) = 1333.333..., thus 1334 x 750 was created.

Reminds me of 848 x 480. It only works out to be 53:30 though, not as absurd.

Hmmm how good can a $9 dongle be...well we can get state of the art opamps for that much, and maybe a fairly average DAC. Nowadays do they use integrated DAC+amp IC's in phones? I think they do. 
It's Apple we're talking about so $9 will get you pretty far when you're building a hundred million of these things. =P

It will be interesting to see the measurements that's for sure.

I'm actually fairly happy they decided to use the 56mm focal length for their tele option, I basically only shoot with a 50mm lens so I can see myself using that most of the time. It'll be a long time before I upgrade though...

We live in a dongle society now, lots of dongles for our thin n light laptops and now our phones. XD
Reckon the new MacBook Pro will have like 5x USB-C? It wouldn't surprise me.

I wonder if you'll be able to use the 3.5 mm and Lighting simultaneously for audio out with the Lightning + normal EarPods on the iPhone 6/Plus?

Apple would have used the same DAC as the one in the Lightning dock. I'm interested in the measurements too. What surprised me was the dock's 3.5 mm jack's ability to accept inline remote controls.

Hmm hard to say, the recent leaks suggest 4, but it might have an extra one for charging?

"When selecting suitable materials to be used in iPhone devices, a trade-off between toughness and hardness must be made. A material with high hardness will have low toughness, and vice versa. Our 7000 series aluminum, our toughest alloy yet, can withstand daily use, but sustain dents and scratches in the unibody enclosure due to aluminum's inherent softness and malleability (compared to metal alloys like stainless steel). Ceramic's high hardness gives it high scratch resistance, but will be more susceptible to cracking or breaking. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone."

Matte black ceramic + black glass and matte white ceramic + white glass iPhone would look so good. Edit: the Apple Watch now has a ceramic case material option, which is pretty neat.

The non-black iPhone 5 series models have ceramic inserts in the back, so you can feel how it does against fingerprints. They feel a little smoother than lacquer-coated polycarbonate.
LBskm0P.jpg

That said, to make your phone thin and then advise your customers to undo all that with a case ... OK.

It failed the bend test though, but that's not the fault of the ceramic/material of the back (glass, in this case).

Edit: I'm also surprised that it somehow survived this drop test. It fell so hard, it even went out of frame!

Judging from her demeanor, I'd say she was expecting it to explode upon impact. I have never seen anyone more scared of a drop test.

I'm sick and tired of OS X 10.11 lagging all the time on my 2013 MBPr... just wiped the entire SSD and installed 10.9 from net recovery.

Within the last few years, I went from an Apple fan to an Apple hater.
mad.gif

How is your MBPr lagging? 10.11.6 here with mid-2012 MBPr and everything is just fine even with nearly-full SSD.
I have the 2.6 GHz i7 model with 8 GB RAM.

Same here, early 2013 2.4 GHz i7 and 8 GB RAM, recently reinstalled 10.8 then restored from a Time Machine backup to 10.11.6, runs without a hitch. With encryption turned on, even.

That's how it is and that's how it's going to always be though until we have scratch resistance and shatter resistance good enough that we won't have to care anymore.

We're halfway there. Ceramic holds up perfectly well against objects of lower hardness scratching it.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #168,172 of 177,746
  Depends on usage.. I've always experienced slight slow-downs since my first mac 10 years ago (I had the first-gen white Macbook).
but the degree is nothing compared to now, it's like windows all over again.... :frowning2:

But I've never had windows slow down on me - unless it's on a HDD. But then linux DOES slow down on a HDD as well.

And even then some people will still get cases because it gives their phone their own "personality" (and if not a case, skins or stickers).

And some will still be paranoid so they'll still get case. I can't blame them because, especially in the case of flagships, you've spent hundreds of dollars on one.

It's a weird tug of war relationship between designers and consumers. There are times where consumers really do know what's best for them and other times where the designers know better (this is all subjective of course). The easiest way to think of it is that designers are like the people who kind of gently push the general population into the "right" direction. Push too hard and they get angry. It's a very strange game of appeasement in a sense.

I personally don't see this going all too well. Apple gave a very confused push yesterday, specifically regarding the headphone jack.

Their biggest reason being "Courage" was questionable, not only because that in itself sounds like a very silly argument but also because that "courage" seems very small considering they included a lightning to 3.5mm adapter in the box. They were courageous at first then realized they made a lot of people angry.

If they really wanted to push hard for that wireless future then they shouldn't be including that adapter. They also make that wireless future pretty hard to buy in to with the Airpods at $160 which are also, IMO, quite poorly designed. They're stylish (kind of?) I guess but practically it's a horrible design as far as losing them goes. They also only last 5 hours with music playing and can't be used while charging which seems quite pointless (if they included wireless charging in the iPhone 7 I'm sure it would have made a ton more sense).

My gorilla glass 4 equipped Mi Max ... got scratched...
Same happened to my Butterfly 2 within a few weeks of buying it. 
I don't have the best luck with phones recently.
So I got a aluminium side armor for it.

Ha. Airpods. They look like electric toothbrushes that's missing the bottom bit.

Oh yeah bring on the DRM and watch it get bricked.
  You mean the aspect ratio? Apple probably wanted to keep the ppi for more consistent Retina scaling, so they had to round off the non-standard resolution. 1334/(16/9) = 750.375 and 750*(16/9) = 1333.333..., thus 1334 x 750 was created.

Reminds me of 848 x 480. It only works out to be 53:30 though, not as absurd.

I wonder if you'll be able to use the 3.5 mm and Lighting simultaneously for audio out with the Lightning + normal EarPods on the iPhone 6/Plus?

Apple would have used the same DAC as the one in the Lightning dock. I'm interested in the measurements too. What surprised me was the dock's 3.5 mm jack's ability to accept inline remote controls.

Hmm hard to say, the recent leaks suggest 4, but it might have an extra one for charging?
It failed the bend test though, but that's not the fault of the ceramic/material of the back (glass, in this case).

Edit: I'm also surprised that it somehow survived this drop test. It fell so hard, it even went out of frame!

Judging from her demeanor, I'd say she was expecting it to explode upon impact. I have never seen anyone more scared of a drop test.

We're halfway there. Ceramic holds up perfectly well against objects of lower hardness scratching it.

Well it's the design and the alloy no doubt... but the mi note simply doesn't flex as much as it does and hell, if you want to talk about flex my butterfly 2 is right up there.
God damn HTC.
It does fail the bend test but certainly, you have to be a moron to put it in your back pocket (As I said when #bendgate appeared) or a colossal maniac to bend one like that... Anyway, I suppose they might have revised it for mi max as mine hardly flexes and I'm not exactly ... weak.
The first review of the Mi Max however said it flexes like it's made of paper.
I however, don't think so.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #168,173 of 177,746

Originally Posted by DaveLT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It does fail the bend test but certainly, you have to be a moron to put it in your back pocket (As I said when #bendgate appeared) or a colossal maniac to bend one like that... Anyway, I suppose they might have revised it for mi max as mine hardly flexes and I'm not exactly ... weak.
The first review of the Mi Max however said it flexes like it's made of paper.
I however, don't think so.

You don't necessarily have to put a phone in your back pocket for it to bend. My iPhone is bent right at the volume down button, and it's never in my back pocket.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #168,175 of 177,746
http://qz.com/776240/by-scrapping-your-antiquated-headphones-apple-is-doing-something-extraordinary-for-music/

Wow guise...

Bad audio quality is apparently caused by 3.5mm jacks...

http://imgur.com/gallery/k4dd8

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #168,176 of 177,746

You don't necessarily have to put a phone in your back pocket for it to bend. My iPhone is bent right at the volume down button, and it's never in my back pocket.

Whoops. 

Point is, a phone that bends easily will get bent from everyday use out of the blue, not just from putting it into situations that will bend it or deliberately bending it.

Some music to balance things out:

This must be the Pepe of Asian music:

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #168,177 of 177,746

But I've never had windows slow down on me - unless it's on a HDD. But then linux DOES slow down on a HDD as well.

My gorilla glass 4 equipped Mi Max ... got scratched...
Same happened to my Butterfly 2 within a few weeks of buying it. 
I don't have the best luck with phones recently.
So I got a aluminium side armor for it.

Hmm, I should add something in there, I've had Windows slow down on me quite a bit with eMMC memory. But yeah modern PCs on Windows are super quick. I've only had Windows get kinda slow on my mom's computer when I added an old 120GB Intel 320 SSD to her AMD Athlon 5000+ CPU and 8800gt, quite the modern hardware setup I know. 
cool.gif

Bleh, my year-old Nexus 6P is starting to look like it's been through war even though I feel as though I baby the damn thing. I've bent the metal volume rocker somehow, and the anodization is starting to wear off around the corner. Honestly I'm almost thinking of doing the unthinkable and just getting a thin case for the phone so it doesn't look so beat up. 
redface.gif

Also obligatory broadband pic at my new uni. :p

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #168,179 of 177,746
Welp I just finished the first episode of re:zero finally. Now I know why you guys keep talking so much about Styx Helix. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #168,180 of 177,746
  Hmm, I should add something in there, I've had Windows slow down on me quite a bit with eMMC memory. But yeah modern PCs on Windows are super quick. I've only had Windows get kinda slow on my mom's computer when I added an old 120GB Intel 320 SSD to her AMD Athlon 5000+ CPU and 8800gt, quite the modern hardware setup I know. 
cool.gif

Bleh, my year-old Nexus 6P is starting to look like it's been through war even though I feel as though I baby the damn thing. I've bent the metal volume rocker somehow, and the anodization is starting to wear off around the corner. Honestly I'm almost thinking of doing the unthinkable and just getting a thin case for the phone so it doesn't look so beat up. 
redface.gif

Also obligatory broadband pic at my new uni. :p

Mandatory egoboost ... i've seen 1ms ping before.
  http://appleplugs.com/

Welp, this is GJ..

Was busy sharing it with my friends lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back