「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Feb 15, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #146,626 of 177,745
  The recycling is gonna happen anyway, so the only real issue is the costs. If I recall correctly, glass and aluminum is virtually infinitely recyclable, but plastic can degrade through the recycling process, but takes much longer to naturally degrade than aluminum.

Don't forget Apple has discontinued the plastic MacBoks and now only sells the aluminum unibody Pros and Airs.

Cost is a pretty big deciding factor for a user when they break a device and have to decide whether to fix it or trash it.

This is where history kicks in; The iPhone 4 is probably the longest lasting and most repaired smartphone out there thanks to that durable stainless steel chassis, only beating the iPhone 4S because it is older. People are happy to replace the screen on a 4/4S several times, because it's affordable and worth it. The chassis protects the internal components and stands against wear and tear very well. Its durability allows it to never need replacement, unlike even the iPhone 5's housing, which can dent enough such that it doesn't fit a new screen.

Because Android phones typically have higher resolution screens (and quoted specs that easily marks how outdated a particular model is), they also cost more, and that gives less incentive for a user to want to repair it when they could upgrade to a phone with a newer design, more RAM, better chipset, higher resolution/display density etc.

The thing is, Apple is pretty much the trend-setter for these things, so expect to see less removable batteries and more aluminum, in both laptops and phones.

This isn't the main point.

The biggest part of the super high cost is that they are doing what Apple is doing now. Making it a uni-assembly that can't be easilly seperated or accessed. 

This, along with demand (Android is so fragmented, with different models and needs) makes it so that the parts are higher in cost as they are more specially custom made than Apple parts. 

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #146,627 of 177,745
I didn't understand the point of that article. It seemed more like a rant based on personal experience than the actual "green" aspect. The only reason why the rMBP barely passed the EPEAT standards is because it can't be upgraded, accessed through common tools, and removal of hazardous parts is difficult for the common man. Oh boo hoo, good thing Apple offers a free recycling program that takes care of this.
http://www.apple.com/recycling/gift-card/
http://www.apple.com/recycling/includes/recycles-responsibly.html
http://www.apple.com/recycling/includes/recycling-faq.html

The point of the article I don't understand too much either but it's more of they have intentionally created a throwaway design which some view as non-environmentally friendly.

I think it's fine considering how often people upgrade their technology-infused items (laptops not as much, but for phones at least it makes sense). I'm just presenting your normal arguments.

One issue I do find with making OS X run on special hardware is the fact that they're always spending the resources to develop their own hardware. From their perspective it makes sense because they have total control over everything (something they want a lot of to guarantee the best experience which is fine by me). Sure their SSD might be in the M.2 format but I'm not quite sure if other M.2 SSDs will work fine, especially on the TRIM side.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #146,628 of 177,745
  The point of the article I don't understand too much either but it's more of they have intentionally created a throwaway design which some view as non-environmentally friendly.

I think it's fine considering how often people upgrade their technology-infused items (laptops not as much, but for phones at least it makes sense). I'm just presenting your normal arguments.

Not intentionally throwaway. It is one of the products yes. That it is not easilly re-used, upgraded, or recycled by most people (how many are going to take advantage/know of that program)

But rather that it is really the way for the future. They've gotten to this schism where its hard to get more out of hardware at the current time. The next step is to integrate more and more.

Steve Jobs infamously, with one of the first versions of the iPod Nano, after receiving a prototype, dunked it in the nearby aquarium after being told there wasn't anymore space inside it. Air bubbles came out of the device resulting in him telling them to scram and work on it more. 

If there is space, it has to be used is pretty much it. And the way it is being done right now is through very expensive integration techniques on creating screen aseemblies, motherboard assemblies, and whole computers out of as few things as possible. 

The investment in this allows company X Y Z to stay competetive and having less parts and more standardized ones results in a better ROI that may make back the investment they lost 

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #146,629 of 177,745

Glass I don't know but Al is basically infinitely recyclable and easy to do (just melt it again, although that requires a good amount of energy).

I'm aware. I'm not promoting plastic or anything.

Yup. Although it'll probably be more of Aluminum and short-fiber carbon fiber.

Energy is sustainable, but plastic, being a petroleum product, isn't. And I think Apple is pretty proud of their usage of renewable energy, not sure if that's used in the manufacturing/recycling process though.

This isn't the main point.

The biggest part of the super high cost is that they are doing what Apple is doing now. Making it a uni-assembly that can't be easilly seperated or accessed. 

This, along with demand (Android is so fragmented, with different models and needs) makes it so that the parts are higher in cost as they are more specially custom made than Apple parts. 

That too. It is becoming increasingly relevant in the recent years due to the uprise of OLED displays. With new tech comes new manufacturing facilities and increased costs.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #146,630 of 177,745
  Energy is sustainable, but plastic, being a petroleum product, isn't. And I think Apple is pretty proud of their usage of renewable energy, not sure if that's used in the manufacturing/recycling process though.

Most likely. They've shelled out an additional sum of money for an entire field of solar panels for their university IIRC.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #146,631 of 177,745

tumblr_mpzb1xnUxG1sogqcfo1_400.gif

That's one of the things I love about Macs vs. every other manufacturer. I have yet to see anyone else make such good use of such a small form factor.

KKNikFF.jpg

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #146,633 of 177,745
Since people seems to be posting their top 10 games, let me unleash my own list. That nobody have ever heard of the games in there.

In no particular order:
  • MechWarrior: Living Legends
  • Neotokyo
  • Dystopia
  • Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
  • Shattered Horizon
  • Global Agenda
  • C

• I've heard of all. Do I get a prize?

• I bet nobody here have played all of them for a reasonable time. >:

Shame that some of the games there are truly dead, mostly because they are trying too hard to be a pioneer.

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #146,634 of 177,745
Yusss received ZX2 just when I thought it might have been blocked for taxing, GJ pricejp for the faked amount poi ^o^

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #146,639 of 177,745

Users who are viewing this thread

Back