「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Feb 15, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #146,596 of 177,745

Hmmm.... TBH, I don't think Macbooks are expensive at all....
My MBP (not retina) was only $1200 while my current XPS13 (still not retina) was $1700.

For OSX, as long as you don't try to do things that's not intended to be done on the system, you're good.

Mind you though... Apple repairs outside the warranty period is expensive, I used to work at an Apple service center.
If you break it, it's probably cheaper to buy a new one.... I've owned 3 Apple laptops in my life (MB 1, MBP 7, MBP 9)
The first retired after 3 years with 5 RMAs, the second retired after 3 years with 3 RMAs and the last one is still in use with 2 RMAs.
All repairs are motherboard, internal cable and charging board replacements.

Price is one of the things that aren't universally applicable to everyone. 

And about the repairs, it depends. The very first 15" unibody MacBooks had a design flaw - they weren't 100% true unibodies. The lid where the screen resides is actually an aluminum shell with a separate frame inside glued to it, which was prone to coming apart over time. Apple's solution? They'll replace the whole screen assembly for free, regardless of whether it's within the warranty period or not. Subsequent generations fixed this flaw.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #146,597 of 177,745
Since people seems to be posting their top 10 games, let me unleash my own list. That nobody have ever heard of the games in there.

In no particular order:
  1. MechWarrior: Living Legends
  2. Neotokyo
  3. Dystopia
  4. Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
  5. Shattered Horizon
  6. Global Agenda
  7. C&C: Shockwave
  8. HAWKEN
  9. War Thunder
  10. Audiosurf

I've heard of all of them except 

So not everyone

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #146,598 of 177,745
Since people seems to be posting their top 10 games, let me unleash my own list. That nobody have ever heard of the games in there.

In no particular order:
  2. Neotokyo
  3. Dystopia
  5. Shattered Horizon
  6. Global Agenda
  8. HAWKEN
  9. War Thunder
  10. Audiosurf

I know less than half.......
eek.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #146,599 of 177,745

In no particular order:
  2. Neotokyo
  3. Dystopia
  5. Shattered Horizon
  6. Global Agenda
  8. HAWKEN
  9. War Thunder
  10. Audiosurf

I've heard of all. Do I get a prize?

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #146,601 of 177,745

Well, it really depends on how the laptop will be used, I use it for everything I do.
To me, my laptop is like an extension of my body, I bring it everywhere and sleep with it everyday.
So one expensive laptop > cheap laptop + cheap desktop (+ tablet) IMO.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #146,602 of 177,745
  From a repair perspective, Apple actually does very well. To my knowledge, the iPhone has the most modular components, and replacing the screen does not require you to replace a substantial chassis or frame. All the buttons, the charging dock, microphones, proximity sensor, headphone jack, cameras etc. are all replaceable. Most Samsung and LG phones don't have replaceable power, volume and home buttons. Power and volume are integrated onto the logic board, while the home button on the Samsungs are sandwiched between the screen and the chassis. Sonys have replaceable buttons, but the charging port is integrated. HTCs do have many replaceable components, but the internal hardware layout is not repair friendly at all.

As for the MacBooks, Apple decided to favor external form factor over replaceable parts. I mean, how often do you need to upgrade the RAM, change the battery, replace the screen etc. as opposed to enjoying the benefits of a thinner, lighter device? Although more expensive, getting repairs done by the manufacturer ensures that a high quality standard is maintained.

I think in Apple's case, the responsibility of environmental friendliness isn't given to the user, but Apple themselves, which leaves one less thing for the user to worry about. It just comes at a price, so I don't think it's as much of an environmental issue as it is a financial issue.

Relevant?
Holograms>seiyuus

You sure about that? Because last time I remember Android phone repair was remarkably easy too. In fact you don't need to go out and buy pentalobe screwdrivers or in some cases bother with glue. For buttons I don't know but your major components generally come out easy on Android too. Generally home buttons/nav buttons don't exist or are the capacitive ones.

http://www.wired.com/2012/10/apple-and-epeat-greenwashing/

It's not even remotely environmentally friendly. They also have to go through the trouble of all the glue and garbage. Would have also been easier on them to use screws instead. It very much is a throwaway design.

I personally could care less in most cases since I rarely ever do these things either. As long as the fans, battery, and storage are removable I'm okay with it. RAM I could care less about. As with phones the same goes for me there for repair-ability. As long as that battery comes out since that seems to be the thing that dies most.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #146,603 of 177,745

Well, it really depends on how the laptop will be used, I use it for everything I do.
To me, my laptop is like an extension of my body, I bring it everywhere and sleep with it everyday.
So one expensive laptop > cheap laptop + cheap desktop (+ tablet) IMO.

Yeah, it depends on whether or not you think that price tag is justified.

By the way, do you know if refurbished Macs are just leftover new previous-gen units? 

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #146,606 of 177,745
  Lenovo really does feel like another version of Apple.

How so? I dont see a Lenovo model that looks remotely like a Mac...
One of the biggest reasons for my XPS13 purchase was the Macbook feel.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #146,607 of 177,745

You sure about that? Because last time I remember Android phone repair was remarkably easy too. In fact you don't need to go out and buy pentalobe screwdrivers or in some cases bother with glue. For buttons I don't know but your major components generally come out easy on Android too.

http://www.wired.com/2012/10/apple-and-epeat-greenwashing/

It's not even remotely environmentally friendly. They also have to go through the trouble of all the glue and garbage. Would have also been easier on them to use screws instead. It very much is a throwaway design.

I am sure! Aside from the two bottom screws, Apple actually makes extensive use of conventional cross-head screws on the inside. And where other manufactures use glue/soldered components, Apple uses screws/flex cables. Most people would have to go and buy a precision/Torx screwdriver set anyway. Pentalobes are so commonplace these days, I'd consider them to be less proprietary than some Nokia's T2 screws. Android phones may not use glue, but they certainly use adhesive to mount the screen onto the chassis. Apple's iPhone 5> screens have their own frame that is just clipped/screwed into place, and that frame has a separate steel mid-frame again.

It is also common for iPhone screens to be re-manufactured (i.e. working LCDs extracted from broken glass and re-bonded to a new glass), because for some reason the LCDs survive from being broken 95% of the time. And because Apple does not integrate the touch digitizer into the glass itself, you can still use an iPhone even if the glass is completely shattered. Samsung's SAMOLED displays, on the other hand, can break even if the glass doesn't crack, because they are so thin and brittle.

For the user, but not necessarily for Apple. When a battery needs replacing, you're gonna throw it out anyway. The aluminum unibody can still be melted down and reused. The only difference with a removable battery is that the user can do it, but if you're throwing out a user-replaceable battery it results in more waste that could have been recycled (namely, the protective shell around the battery). A screwed-in battery also has that additional plastic frame.

Not to mention letting the user throw out a dead battery may result in a lot of irresponsible waste disposal.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #146,608 of 177,745
  How so? I dont see a Lenovo model that looks remotely like a Mac...
One of the biggest reasons for my XPS13 purchase was the Macbook feel.

No it's not appearance. They're both very Rams-esque. I know Richard Sapper made the design of the ThinkPad but it reminds me a lot of the Braun Atelier system. Apple is very clearly Rams inspired (no need for examples here).

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #146,610 of 177,745
  I am sure! Aside from the two bottom screws, Apple actually makes extensive use of conventional cross-head screws on the inside. And where other manufactures use glue/soldered components, Apple uses screws/flex cables. Most people would have to go and buy a precision/Torx screwdriver set anyway. Pentalobes are so commonplace these days, I'd consider them to be less proprietary than some Nokia's T2 screws. Android phones may not use glue, but they certainly use adhesive to mount the screen onto the chassis. Apple's iPhone 5> screens have their own frame that is just clipped/screwed into place, and that frame has a separate steel mid-frame again.

It is also common for iPhone screens to be re-manufactured (i.e. working LCDs extracted from broken glass and re-bonded to a new glass), because for some reason the LCDs survive from being broken 95% of the time. And because Apple does not integrate the touch digitizer into the glass itself, you can still use an iPhone even if the glass is completely shattered. Samsung's SAMOLED displays, on the other hand, can break even if the glass doesn't crack, because they are so thin and brittle.

For the user, but not necessarily for Apple. When a battery needs replacing, you're gonna throw it out anyway. The aluminum unibody can still be melted down and reused. The only difference with a removable battery is that the user can do it, but if you're throwing out a user-replaceable battery it results in more waste that could have been recycled (namely, the protective shell around the battery). A screwed-in battery also has that additional plastic frame.

Phones I just checked and those are fine (at least the iPhone 6 which was the only one I checked is showing the direction they've decided on. Haven't checked previous ones).

Pretty sure the total transportation and Apple's own processing costs add up to more things being exhausted, whether it's resources or pollutants.

That is a lot of adhesive. It would have made more sense to do a battery held in with a screw considering they could have cut off slightly less aluminium on the unibody. Look at all of that empty space around the battery. Clearly could have just left some extra aluminium that can also contribute extra stability at the wrist-rest area (not really needed but an extra benefit). I don't see the point in trying to cut out more aluminium so you can recycle it to put it into other extrusions when the process of recycling the aluminium itself is quite resource consuming. That doesn't mean they have to do the even more resource straining cost of obtaining Al from the Earth but cutting out that little extra bit of aluminium doesn't make that much sense to me on a mass-production scale either.

Yuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back