「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
May 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #73,366 of 177,746
Quote:
After playing Higurashi for a while, I think I finally understand why you guys always want the best subbing groups.......
bad TL is bad..... and I can't rely on the voice for the original because higurashi is not voiced.....
frown.gif

Think I'm just gonna stop here and wait until I learn how to read japanese.

I've come to pick up many japanese words/terms from years of watching subbed anime. It's really bad when sub groups translate japanese too directly or word for word. It feels stiff and doesn't flow smoothly in conversation. But in your case you find using "big bro" instead of "onii-chan" bothersome. Which isn't a big deal but I get what you're saying. My pet peeve is when sub groups type the personal name before the family name.

Also, you guys post in here so much its so hard to keep up. lol It's like a chatroom in here.

No offense to Madoka Magica lovers out there but I just finished it 2 days ago and I don't understand the hype behind it. I only watched it because so many people were recommended it. Maybe I wasn't blown away by the twist because I had watched Steins Gate before Madoka? Well... I also particularly didn't like the artstyle of the characters looking like 7 year olds with big beady eyes.

May 3, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #73,367 of 177,746
Quote:

I've come to pick up many japanese words/terms from years of watching subbed anime. It's really bad when sub groups translate japanese too directly or word for word. It feels stiff and doesn't flow smoothly in conversation. But in your case you find using "big bro" instead of "onii-chan" bothersome. Which isn't a big deal but I get what you're saying. My pet peeve is when sub groups type the personal name before the family name.

Also, you guys post in here so much its so hard to keep up. lol It's like a chatroom in here.

No offense to Madoka Magica lovers out there but I just finished it 2 days ago and I don't understand the hype behind it. I only watched it because so many people were recommended it. Maybe I wasn't blown away by the twist because I had watched Steins Gate before Madoka? Well... I also particularly didn't like the artstyle of the characters looking like 7 year olds with big beady eyes.

It started out like a Magical Girl series

Magical Series basically almost REPRESENT anime itself in a sense as one of those original things.

However, schiit goes down. Seeing actual gore, death, betrayl and real adult elements in this series backed with good character development is what makes it stand out.

It's basically what To Kill a Mockinbird is for anime

May 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #73,369 of 177,746
Quote:
What else is airing this season that may be interesting for me to watch? (i.e. no shounen, and no moe moe; exceptions existing)

Right now I'm watching Shingeki no Kyojin and Aku no Hana, but I have time to watch some more than that.

My recommendation is Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru~ a must-watch for loners like me Orz

May 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #73,370 of 177,746
Nope, did not like first ep of Gargantia at all, same for Valvrave.

Devil Survivor does not sound like something I feel like watching either.

:V

wat
What else is airing this season that may be interesting for me to watch? (i.e. no shounen, and no moe moe; exceptions existing)

Right now I'm watching Shingeki no Kyojin and Aku no Hana, but I have time to watch some more than that.

A good comedy then. Something that has amazing comedic pacing, doesn't drag out the jokes, jokes that actually works and not SHOUTING JOKES AND ABUSE JOKES I AM SO FUNNY RIGHT? *punch Potato-kun the MC*, and sweet 15 min episodes: Muromi-san smth smth smth.

May 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #73,371 of 177,746

Am I weird for not liking Gargantia? Well for starters there was this female main character who had deep blue super large and super shiny eyes. That kinda turned me off.
Also: their overuse of the word 'quantum dimensional' and co. turned me off as well. You can mess with physics, but come on.

Don't like mechas either, or the fact that the MC was apparently >30 years in military service without a single vacation.

I don't know man, just don't like it.

May 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #73,373 of 177,746
Quote:
I used to put 6 spoons of sugar in my coffee, but never stirred it.
Used to taste very strong and the flavours were a joy.
As i got to the bottom of the cup the sweetness was a joy to experience.

I have gone off the sugar now, as I just like the coffee taste by itself.

Had an affogato once. Ice cream never tasted so good..........

agree'd, I like my coffe BLACK. every so often I'll hit a good coffe with an Altoid for some mint flavor... mm mint coffe love the contrest between the two! 

May 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #73,374 of 177,746
Originally posted by bowei006

Quote:

It started out like a Magical Girl series

Magical Series basically almost REPRESENT anime itself in a sense as one of those original things.

However, schiit goes down. Seeing actual gore, death, betrayl and real adult elements in this series backed with good character development is what makes it stand out.

It's basically what To Kill a Mockinbird is for anime

Hmmm... in reply to Bowei006

I don't know why Sayaka went crazy. So they learn their soul transfers to a soul gem when they make a contract with Kyubey to become a magical girl. Their bodies basically become "hollow" in the sense that there isn't a soul within their physical bodies but it doesn't affect their 5 senses at all right? It seems it doesn't change anything at all. Her friend gives Sayaka a chance to confess her love to the crippled boy but she doesn't which doesn't make sense if they can still physically feel. Why Kyouko gets mad knowing her soul is in the gem is beyond me too when she was living perfectly fine before. I'm bothered by the way Mami died too. Stood there to get eaten.

I found the characters uninteresting. I hardly think the character development was good at all. So we hear a little back story behind the veteran magical girls Mami, Kyouko and Akemi and realizing they were why they were didn't impress me. What I found really interesting was when Kyuubei explained everything from entropy idea to magical girls eventually turning into witches.

I like the line where Madoka's mom says something along the lines of don't be afraid in making mistakes when you're younger as its easier to get back up when you're younger than when you're older with more responsibilities with people counting on you.

In terms of character development, I found the development between Kurisu and Okabe from Steins Gate to be much better.

May 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #73,375 of 177,746
Quote:
Originally posted by bowei006

Hmmm... in reply to Bowei006

I don't know why Sayaka went crazy. So they learn their soul transfers to a soul gem when they make a contract with Kyubey to become a magical girl. Their bodies basically become "hollow" in the sense that there isn't a soul within their physical bodies but it doesn't affect their 5 senses at all right? It seems it doesn't change anything at all. Her friend gives Sayaka a chance to confess her love to the crippled boy but she doesn't which doesn't make sense if they can still physically feel. Why Kyouko gets mad knowing her soul is in the gem is beyond me too when she was living perfectly fine before. I'm bothered by the way Mami died too. Stood there to get eaten.

I found the characters uninteresting. I hardly think the character development was good at all. So we hear a little back story behind the veteran magical girls Mami, Kyouko and Akemi and realizing they were why they were didn't impress me. What I found really interesting was when Kyuubei explained everything from entropy idea to magical girls eventually turning into witches.

I like the line where Madoka's mom says something along the lines of don't be afraid in making mistakes when you're younger as its easier to get back up when you're younger than when you're older with more responsibilities with people counting on you.

In terms of character development, I found the development between Kurisu and Okabe from Steins Gate to be much better.

I don't remember specific tech details.

But I do agree, ch development wasn't exactly interesting. 

The bonds they formed were. Many of the top literature novels don't have awe inspiring ch development. They just use decent characters to act the story out

May 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #73,376 of 177,746
It is 4.30am in the morning, and there are only 24 pages (Times New Roman size 12) worth of content translated (though not with 100% accuracy)

Shows how slow of a translator I am

May 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #73,377 of 177,746
It is 4.30am in the morning, and there are only 24 pages (Times New Roman size 12) worth of content translated (though not with 100% accuracy)

Translating with 100% accuracy is impossible. :wink:

A classmate in high school used to work as a freelance translator. He ended up earning a decent €10-12 per hour with it.

May 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #73,378 of 177,746
Quote:
*skip*

>330 posts. gg.

So what's up? Exams start yet, Boris?

Today I learned that an experimenter's own mind is his worst enemy. I had to do a lot of manual data fits today, but the catch is that I knew exactly what the outcome should be. As a result I had the hardest time not doing the fit such that the result is near perfectly what I want.

In the end my data is way too good for what you'd expect in this experiment, so I'm hoping I can get away with it.

In case anyone is interested, I was measuring the Planck constant using the photoelectric effect. Normally about 1-2% deviation from the literature value is expected, but I got 0.1%, which is a statistically insignificant deviation given the uncertainty.

'Sup? I'm getting ready for my AP exams and all that good jazz. Oh, and I also got PSP games working on my PS3. May need your help translating stuff from Japanese to English if I get stuck
wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Suisei no Gargantia

Maybe:
Valvrave
Devil Survivor (not pure shounen)

Nope, did not like first ep of Gargantia at all, same for Valvrave.

Devil Survivor does not sound like something I feel like watching either.

I liked the blue eyes in Gargantia, but that's probably just a moe aspect which you may not like. Did you watch psycho pass last season? It seems you *may* enjoy it.
Devil survivor is meh in all honesty.
Quote:

What are you translating? 
eek.gif

May 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #73,379 of 177,746
When does the CD of Shingeki no Kyojin OP coming out? I need to my every little things in my life... EPIC. Imagine playing that while washing dishes!

May 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #73,380 of 177,746
I'm getting a $1070 check tomorrow!

I just take all the money I have and usually just throw it into my storage wallet and never look at it again. My actual bank account is the one that holds the $1.3K. I just use that to buy stuff etc etc.

But dammm.

NEVER knew I ever got over a thousand dollars just stored up?

I figured $600? But man...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back