「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Mar 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #1,907 of 177,744

Quote:
This was said by my resident Mac user: "Windows 8 is a real threat to Mountain Lion as the best consumer friendly OS". Take that as you may.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1223463/tv-windows-8-vs-ipad-feature-by-feature

Just watch the video on the news site. Windows 8 is the new thing. I just hope they integrate the ability to disable the metro UI on desktops though without needing other software (like the current ones you need to disable metro on Win 8 beta).

@boweii: you're using Home Premium? IIRC it doesn't have as much control as Professional. Ultimate is the same as professional except with some added language features and Bitlocker (or whatever that was called).

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #1,908 of 177,744

Quote:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1223463/tv-windows-8-vs-ipad-feature-by-feature

Just watch the video on the news site. Windows 8 is the new thing. I just hope they integrate the ability to disable the metro UI on desktops though without needing other software (like the current ones you need to disable metro on Win 8 beta).

@boweii: you're using Home Premium? IIRC it doesn't have as much control as Professional. Ultimate is the same as professional except with some added language features and Bitlocker (or whatever that was called).

You use whatever OS that you like, and has what you want is basically it. feature by feature is useless. it's really al in Apple's way of doing things

yep as you can see...i buy Windows..i don't have $300 to throw away

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #1,909 of 177,744

Quote:
You use whatever OS that you like, and has what you want is basically it. feature by feature is useless. it's really al in Apple's way of doing things

yep as you can see...i buy Windows..i don't have $300 to throw away

No, I didn't mean I was surprised you don't use OS X on your desktop but that you have Home Premium instead of Pro. Most of us prefer Pro because you are offered more control.

After reading this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576061/comparison-of-5-popular-cans-in-the-250-350-range-k701-hd650-dt990-600ohm-sr325is-d2000-updated

Starting to have some doubts. I like the Pulse Audio Digital Link III though.

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #1,910 of 177,744

Quote:
No, I didn't mean I was surprised you don't use OS X on your desktop but that you have Home Premium instead of Pro. Most of us prefer Pro because you are offered more control.

After reading this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576061/comparison-of-5-popular-cans-in-the-250-350-range-k701-hd650-dt990-600ohm-sr325is-d2000-updated

Starting to have some doubts. I like the Pulse Audio Digital Link III though.

yeah my computer desktop can't instal Mac OSX. i have a non supported mobo and a non supported CPU amongst other things. pro?...control? i didn't look into differences but there are some things pro offered.i forgot what. was it remote desktop yeah. but really. the stuff windows doesn't offer..you can get online.

nice post hybrid ::)
what headphone are you looking at now. im still in the D2K range

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,911 of 177,744

Quote:
yeah my computer desktop can't instal Mac OSX. i have a non supported mobo and a non supported CPU amongst other things. pro?...control? i didn't look into differences but there are some things pro offered.i forgot what. was it remote desktop yeah. but really. the stuff windows doesn't offer..you can get online.

nice post hybrid ::)
what headphone are you looking at now. im still in the D2K range

Huh? Usually mobo support isn't it, neither is it the CPU. I know it's definitely not the CPU. Everything in the computer just carries out the commands the OS/user gives them. I don't really know what's happening here.

Remote desktop? Meh. Don't use that one. Get Teamviewer instead if you want remote desktop.

I don't know. The K702's are back on my to look at list. I just notice the AKG K550's on headroom's review list. Hm...oh, DT880's are on the list. IIRC they do a bit better overall than the 990's right? Anyways, really curious abou the K550. Still looking at the D2K though.

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,912 of 177,744

Quote:
Huh? Usually mobo support isn't it, neither is it the CPU. I know it's definitely not the CPU. Everything in the computer just carries out the commands the OS/user gives them. I don't really know what's happening here.

Remote desktop? Meh. Don't use that one. Get Teamviewer instead if you want remote desktop.

I don't know. The K702's are back on my to look at list. I just notice the AKG K550's on headroom's review list. Hm...oh, DT880's are on the list. IIRC they do a bit better overall than the 990's right? Anyways, really curious abou the K550. Still looking at the D2K though.

>_<.........you do know that Mac OSX requires ONLY specific hardware right? it does not support AMD CPU's, many mobo's don't work or have iffy support and some GPU's and RAM also meet same problem.

well...i don't know. 702?i looked it up. couldn't find any info on it.. just teh Q701.....my list is very small. i don't have much allocated to this hobby.

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #1,913 of 177,744

Quote:
>_<.........you do know that Mac OSX requires ONLY specific hardware right? it does not support AMD CPU's, many mobo's don't work or have iffy support and some GPU's and RAM also meet same problem.

well...i don't know. 702?i looked it up. couldn't find any info on it.. just teh Q701.....my list is very small. i don't have much allocated to this hobby.

Well I didn't know you had an AMD rig. I can't know everything. I know that though.

K702 = K701 + detachable cord + black colored

For some reason the K702 costs more than the K701 (the last time I checked which was I think a week or a month ago).

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #1,914 of 177,744

Quote:
Well I didn't know you had an AMD rig. I can't know everything. I know that though.

K702 = K701 + detachable cord + black colored

For some reason the K702 costs more than the K701 (the last time I checked which was I think a week or a month ago).

im sure I said AMD many times. and even then.. you would still be wrong as Mac OSX requires specific hardware. this is how Apple ensures your crap doesn't fail...for the most part

so 702;...isn't an offiical headphone but just one with some modds on it? what? why not just get 701?

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #1,915 of 177,744

Quote:
im sure I said AMD many times. and even then.. you would still be wrong as Mac OSX requires specific hardware. this is how Apple ensures your crap doesn't fail...for the most part

so 702;...isn't an offiical headphone but just one with some modds on it? what? why not just get 701?

crApple is the one that fails, not the hardware.

What? The K702 is real and official. How do you not know this?

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,1082,pid,1082,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

Anyways, move along people. Nothing to see here. Don't get involved in this Apple conversation.

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #1,916 of 177,744

Quote:

From my countless and sleepless reading, I got the impression that the DT880 are the neutral of the DTxx0 bunch. DT770 is the punch-yo-face bass one, and the DT990 is the treble-happy bunch. I think. But IIRC the 990 and 770 are still v shape cans though, only that the 770 focus more on bass while 990 on treble. Note that I read this up when it was 4am so the info may just be unreliable. I don't remember who's the head fi member that had listened to every variant of it. Too bad.

If you really did do your research, you'd now realized that the K701/2 are quite bass light. Some would say that they are neutral bass i.e. punchy bass but not boomy. That's what I get from my reading. And from the Q701 appreciation thread, most of the ones who had owned K701/2 before and now the Q701 agreed that the Q is more warmer, yet still retain the huge soundstage and the airy highs that made the K70x famous for. 

And just in today a review of the K550 have someone said it's a closed K702. I haven't read it yet though. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/599170/akg-k550-review-essentially-a-closed-back-k702-literally

I haven't read much on the D2k though, although I got the vibe that they are audiophile basshead cans. Some conflicting impressions I got from reading about them have them having recessed mids. Admittedly, like I said earlier, I didn't read much on it as I lost interest because I have been reading up on the Q701 (and the fact that they also hardly isolate, for a closed can).

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #1,917 of 177,744

Quote:
From my countless and sleepless reading, I got the impression that the DT880 are the neutral of the DTxx0 bunch. DT770 is the punch-yo-face bass one, and the DT990 is the treble-happy bunch. I think. But IIRC the 990 and 770 are still v shape cans though, only that the 770 focus more on bass while 990 on treble. Note that I read this up when it was 4am so the info may just be unreliable. I don't remember who's the head fi member that had listened to every variant of it. Too bad.

If you really did do your research, you'd now realized that the K701/2 are quite bass light. Some would say that they are neutral bass i.e. punchy bass but not boomy. That's what I get from my reading. And from the Q701 appreciation thread, most of the ones who had owned K701/2 before and now the Q701 agreed that the Q is more warmer, yet still retain the huge soundstage and the airy highs that made the K70x famous for. 

And just in today a review of the K550 have someone said it's a closed K702. I haven't read it yet though. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/599170/akg-k550-review-essentially-a-closed-back-k702-literally

I haven't read much on the D2k though, although I got the vibe that they are audiophile basshead cans. Some conflicting impressions I got from reading about them have them having recessed mids. Admittedly, like I said earlier, I didn't read much on it as I lost interest because I have been reading up on the Q701 (and the fact that they also hardly isolate, for a closed can).

That seems pretty accurate from what I've read. DT770 is definitely bassy because it's closed. I read that the DT990's are great with highs but have pretty recessed mids. DT880 seems to be great overall.

I get that part. I just always read about the bass extension being good. So Q701 instead of the K701/2's?

They look so good. I just don't get why they decided to put giant white orientation letter inside the earcups.

I just read that in the thread I linked. That's what made me worried.

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #1,918 of 177,744
hmm i didn't see 702 on US AKG site

...you just said all that and now is stating that software is making hardware fail????... very good intellectual claims

anyway for Beyer's..i went with ultrasones instead of Beyer's. i checked out the DT770 pro 80 ohm in stores..it wasn't burned in but it was nice i guess. i had some problems with it. but i spent a short amount of time with it

i thought of beyers for a next headphone but the D2K's ...are too good to pass up

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,919 of 177,744

Quote:
hmm i didn't see 702 on US AKG site

...you just said all that and now is stating that software is making hardware fail????... very good intellectual claims

anyway for Beyer's..i went with ultrasones instead of Beyer's. i checked out the DT770 pro 80 ohm in stores..it wasn't burned in but it was nice i guess. i had some problems with it. but i spent a short amount of time with it

i thought of beyers for a next headphone but the D2K's ...are too good to pass up

*facepalm* Just like you're saying that hardware makes software fail. It depends on both. /conversation

I'm curious if my local Guitar Center has Beyers. Ultrasone I'm also considering.

Yes, yes they are. But the K550's seem to be offering some competition from what I've read. Very interested to see how K550 vs D2K's plays out.

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,920 of 177,744

Quote:
That seems pretty accurate from what I've read. DT770 is definitely bassy because it's closed. I read that the DT990's are great with highs but have pretty recessed mids. DT880 seems to be great overall.

I get that part. I just always read about the bass extension being good. So Q701 instead of the K701/2's?

They look so good. I just don't get why they decided to put giant white orientation letter inside the earcups.

I just read that in the thread I linked. That's what made me worried.

I assume that's about the K550? I don't see the problem with that TBH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back