Wow, color me impressed... I am seriously tracking the M now, and just a week or so ago I thought I had more or less decided to wait about another 12 months before buying another DAP (planned to await Fiio X7 release to see what is available). However, assuming the M sounds as good as what most expect, it'll be hard for me to hold-off now.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- $1000 budget, should I go open or closed? Last post on 1/21/15 at 2:56pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Another new Planar magnetic can at CES Last post on 1/8/15 at 7:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dampening Modifications to Fostex TH600 Headphones Last post on 12/30/14 at 3:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Help with Amp Decision for LCD-3f before deployment Last post on 12/26/14 at 4:34pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Headphone upgrade Last post on 12/6/14 at 10:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 1/22/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Cayin for providing me with a review sample of their new flagship N6 DAP which is currently available on Amazon and from other retailers like...
After picking these up from the Sony Store about a year ago, I can say that these are definitely not worth the $350-$400 price tag. Luckily, I picked them up for around $180 and to me, this seems...
First of all the reason I rate the SE215 5/5* is primarily because of the value it presents under the $100 mark. You will be extremely hard pressed to find a pair of IEMs at this price considering...
I'm all about best use on a budget for a specific person and lifestyle. In my case, the Jaybird Bluebud X's were fantastic. You can check out my review on head fi here, but I also have an older...
SENNHEISER URBANITE XL REVIEW Full sized headphones haven't been part of my usage options for quite some time now. I used to own a Sony MDR-1R but despite the excellent comfort and decent sound my...
$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 44post #646 of 48312/2/14 at 8:58pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #647 of 48312/2/14 at 9:15pm
That is pretty amazing.. I wonder if Calyx will do an early beta release to get some reviews and sound impressions coming in. I am really looking forward to hearing about it's sound quality. So many choices at the moment but i am holding off until this is available. What excites me is that they have stated that they are very proud of the implementation of the dac chip. Given their track record that bodes very very well.
Edited by Sauntere - 2/2/14 at 9:17pmpost #648 of 48312/2/14 at 10:46pm
Now I am decently interested , the issue of not having back and forward is pretty eh , I would like to have it, but I would have to really listen it for it to impress me enough to upgradepost #649 of 48312/2/14 at 10:54pm
I am going to be a complete ass here... but funny, I seem to remember posting this radical proposal four days ago. ;-)
Quote:Originally Posted by cooperpwc
Do you know what I would love to see Calyx do?...
Add an additional full-size SD slot.
Think of it.
- You would have true flexibility with both SD and microSD.
- You can inexpensively put 256GB onboard (64 internal, 64 microSD, 128 SD)
- You can put massive memory on board if you wan to spend the bucks
- You can use it as dual microSD system with a standard adapter - that's an inexpensive 192 GB system
Calyx would not have to increased the internal memory from 64 GB and it would seem to solve all memory issues.
Am I onto something here?
Thanks to Mython and others for jumping all over the idea. Serious kudos to Calyx for listening to us.
I think that they just got some sales. They got mine.post #650 of 48312/2/14 at 11:25pmpost #651 of 48312/2/14 at 11:29pmQuote:
couldn't agree more
nice onepost #652 of 48312/2/14 at 11:35pmThread Starterpost #653 of 48312/2/14 at 11:39pmpost #654 of 48312/2/14 at 11:48pmQuote:
You know you'll need a seperate transport for the Hugo, right? The Calyx-M has no digital-outpost #655 of 48312/2/14 at 11:49pmQuote:
I did not mean as a combo. It would be one or the other. And the Hugo would go with my computer or with the ZX1 I think...post #656 of 48312/2/14 at 11:56pmQuote:
Yeah, cool. Just checking.
I'd love to see a digital-out on the Calyx but they said the following on Facebook, and I have to reluctantly admit that I can see their point:Quote:"Digital Out from Calyx M:
Some people ask/complain there is no digital out in M
Calyx M is accomplished of DXD of 32/384 and 128DSD. SPDIF can't handle these hi-rez digital signals so it is useless to have the digital out in Calyx M M
Furthermore, Calyx M has already a decent DAC inside already. We implemented ESS SABRE 9018 K2M very successfully as we did in Calyx Femto.
Load your music into M and simply enjoy it."
As I'm sure you're already aware, OKGuy has had it confirmed that the Hugo does function correctly with the NW-ZX1, so you'll be OK with that combo.
Edited by Mython - 2/2/14 at 11:58pmpost #657 of 48312/3/14 at 12:00ampost #658 of 48312/3/14 at 12:10amQuote:
BRAVO to Calyx for listening to their users !!
Now, if they really want to make it perfect, could they add DIGITAL OUT !
And is tosh-link is not possible, may be Coax. And if digital-out do not support DSD, well this is not really a problem and not a reason for skipping digital out!
indeed,With now almost 1/2 To available, and such gréât UI, the M becomes a real potential transport for Home DAC. Imagine the M at home conected to a FEMTO Calyx !
Edited by bmichels - 2/3/14 at 12:38ampost #659 of 48312/3/14 at 12:29am
I don't see the digital out as such a biggie. The internal electronics then become greatly irrelevant. You can buy a cheap DAP from many other manufacturers to get your digital transport fix.
The Calyx M will sink or swim on its sound quality. That is where they are experts and that is what has me excited....
...well that and the M:use UI...post #660 of 48312/3/14 at 12:38am
- $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality 3 seconds ago
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 14 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › NEW Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 and ATH-MSR7LTD 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 5 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 6 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 9 minutes ago
- › Canadian Head-Fi'ers counting 10 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by twister6
- › Sony XBA-4SL by cuiter23
- › Shure SE215 by cuiter23
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by ActiveTechREV
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by d marc0
- › HIFIMAN RE300a(Black) InLine Control Earphone by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by mark2410
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by DJScope
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by CJ09
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by ActiveTechREV
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3