$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Feb 2, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #616 of 6,550
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #617 of 6,550
  ...As a general principle how much better do hi rez files sound than redbook ones anyway ? Is the extra space required to store them worth the SQ increase. Is there a real and noticeable improvement ?

Very good question indeed.  As a compromise, I download everything 24/96 when available or Redbook, I don't bother 24/192 since I can't hear any difference  (I tried many times... may be my ears are not good enough to hear the difference ?)

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #618 of 6,550
  Very good question indeed.  As a compromise, I download everything 24/96 when available or Redbook, I don't bother 24/192 since I can't hear any difference  (I tried many times... may be my ears are not good enough to hear the difference ?)

I also go for 24/96 for three reasons: storage size, I struggle as it is with 24/96; cost, HD tracks, for example, charge by quality; and sound quality, like you I can't hear the difference, maybe my ears, maybe my kit, maybe both...

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #619 of 6,550
It may not be that you can't here the difference as much as you can't hear it on the files or kit being used. It's not uncommon for the differences to be mitigated. Size is also a factor. In fact try downsampling to 24/48 in DBpoweramp and you'll be surprised how much better than redbook it is. The 24 bit part seems pretty important. If i can find it I may include a small MicroSD card with various sample rates when I pass the X5 along in the review sequence.

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #620 of 6,550
The Calyx M is not even out yet and you want to buy a case? Ha ha...

Yes, I can see the humour in my already looking at cases
beerchug.gif
, but I'm just passing the time until this thing is released, as I'm almost certain I'll be buying one, if  they sort the memory capacity issue.

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #621 of 6,550
Can someone reminds me why this DAP must be good sounding? Is it bcos of their track record with their deskfop Dac femto? Or they published some really good spec that wins over other DAPs?

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #622 of 6,550
Can someone reminds me why this DAP must be good sounding? Is it bcos of their track record with their deskfop Dac femto? Or they published some really good spec that wins over other DAPs?

simple, because we want to irritate you :p

seriously because a) of expected implementation and quality parts and b) because high end makers would not risk their reputation by putting a bad product.

but of course only hearing M will tell us if worth or not.
right now there is no consensus on what DAP sounds best, some rave about AK120, others about HF901 and some claim having great result from ZX. go figure :D

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #623 of 6,550
simple, because we want to irritate you
tongue.gif

seriously because a) of expected implementation and quality parts and b) because high end makers would not risk their reputation by putting a bad product.

but of course only hearing M will tell us if worth or not.
right now there is no consensus on what DAP sounds best, some rave about AK120, others about HF901 and some claim having great result from ZX. go figure
biggrin.gif

Some rave the Mod. RWAK120-s  as being the best portable source :)

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #624 of 6,550
Feb 2, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #625 of 6,550

Calyx have shown themselves capable of producing proper high-end DACs, and, notably, using the ES9018.  Therefore, they should be intimately aware of how best to implement a ES9018-2M in this DAP (yes, it's the mobile variant, unlike their desktop DACs, but still...)

Also, the audiophile DAP market is a curious one - some devices sound amazing but are pigs to use, others are easy to use but don't sound stellar, and many shades of grey, in between.  But you already know this
wink.gif

The Sony NW-ZX1 is beautifully designed and has an excellent UI and excellent mechanical buttons.    The Calyx-M has the potential to approximately equal these factors (now that [REW] [FFW] buttons are being added), but with a more hard-core DAC implementation, and a more potent amp section.

The Calyx-M therefore remains an unknown quantity, but has heaps and heaps of potential. Do I think it will be the best DAP on planet earth? Not necessarily - it's amp section isn't as powerful as, say, the HM-901, HDP-R10. DX100, X5, X3, but nonetheless, it looks to be doing a lot of things right and is substantially more powerful than the amp in the NW-ZX1 (which many respected head-fiers do still like a lot).

As an overall package, therefore, I am keen to get my hands on a Calyx-M, but may resist the temptation if the memory situation isn't improved.

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #626 of 6,550

Calyx have shown themselves capable of producing proper high-end DACs, and, notably, using the ES9018.  Therefore, they should be intimately aware of how best to implement a ES9018-2M in this DAP (yes, it's the mobile variant, unlike their desktop DACs, but still...)

Also, the audiophile DAP market is a curious one - some devices sound amazing but are pigs to use, and vice-versa, and many shades of grey, in between.

The Sony NW-ZX1 is beautifully designed and has an excellent UI and (potentially, now [REW] [FFW] are being added) excellent mechanical buttons.    The Calyx-M has the potential to approximately equal these factors, but with a more hard-core DAC implementation, and a more potent amp section.

The Calyx-M therefore remains an unknown quantity, but has heaps and heaps of potential. Do I think it will be the best DAP on planet earth? Not necessarily - it's amp section isn't as powerful as, say, the HM-901, HDP-R10. DX100, X5, X3, but nonetheless, it looks to be doing a lot of things right and is substantially more powerful than the amp in the NW-ZX1 (which many respected head-fiers do still like a lot).

As an overall package, therefore, I am keen to get my hands on a Calyx-M, but may resist the temptation if the memory situation isn't improved.

Well observed but I'd be stunned if it cracked all of the isses

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #627 of 6,550
  Well observed but I'd be stunned if it cracked all of the isses

True - it can be exasperating being a fan of audiophile DAPs, can it not?
rolleyes.gif

So many promising devices have really annoying faults.

But, have you noticed that we are gradually creeping nearer and nearer to really great DAPs, this past few months?

Whilst I still have reasonable concerns about the longevity of the scroll wheel, I am in admiration of what Fiio have accomplished with their X5, especially for a meagre $350 - it does so much right.

I've had my fair share of disappointments with DAPs, and I had written-off the Calyx-M completely until they decided to include the [REW] [FFW] buttons, which should never have been excluded in the first place, but now that they're evidently heeding feedback, I am choosing to view this forthcoming DAP with optimism!

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #628 of 6,550

True - it can be exasperating being a fan of audiophile DAPs, can it not?
rolleyes.gif

So many promising devices have really annoying faults.

Whilst I still have reasonable concerns about the longevity of the scroll wheel, I am in admiration of what Fiio have accomplished with their X5, especially for a meagre $350 - it does so much right.

I've had my fair share of disappointments with DAPs, and I had written-off the Calyx-M completely until they decided to include the [REW] [FFW] buttons, which should never have been excluded in the first place, but now that they're evidently heeding feedback, I am choosing to view this forthcoming DAP with optimism!

My starting point for the ideal DAP is improving on the aspects of my DX100 that could be better, so: 

will it hold more music - not under current configuration
will it last longer on a charge - not sure, any clues?
is it smaller - certainly scores there

so all in all not quite enough to tempt me away yet...

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #629 of 6,550

My starting point for the ideal DAP is improving on the aspects of my DX100 that could be better, so: 

will it hold more music - not under current configuration
will it last longer on a charge - not sure, any clues?
is it smaller - certainly scores there

so all in all not quite enough to tempt me away yet...

In one of the product videos, they said battery lasts approximately 7-10 hrs  (in this early .pdf, they quote 7 hours), and that was before they announced increasing the power output from approx 70mw to approx 90mw, so that's slightly worrying. Basically, about the same as the DX100, perhaps? My DX100 never lasted long. However, I also noticed that that same early .pdf quotes a battery life of 2100mah, but Calyx's Facebook page now (February 5th) states:

3100mA, Li-Ion. about 10 hours

One other major thing I would point out about the DX100 comparison is that it depends on whether you use your DAPs mostly on your desk / bed, or if you listen mostly in your pocket whilst you are walking. I use DAPs mostly whilst walking, so the DX100 used to drive me crazy because of it's lack of mechanical [REW] [FFW] buttons. The Calyx-M will (with the new revisions) score a win over the DX100 (for pocket users), in that regard. That's no minor point
smile.gif

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #630 of 6,550

They said battery lasts approximately 10 hrs, and that was before they announced increasing the power output from approx 70mw to approx 90mw, so that's slightly worrying. Basically, about the same as the DX100, perhaps? My DX100 never lasted long.

One other major thing I would point out about the DX100 comparison is that it depends on whether you use your DAPs mostly on your desk / bed, or if you listen mostly in your pocket whilst you are walking. I use DAPs mostly whilst walking, so the DX100 used to drive me crazy because of it's lack of mechanical [REW] [FFW] buttons. The Calyx-M will (with the new revisions) score a win over the DX100 (for pocket users), in that regard. That's no minor point
smile.gif

I haven't noticed their absence - I guess I never actually use them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back