$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Feb 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #676 of 6,550
  AHHH... the famous " Onkyo HF app " :)  But does this player has a decent UI, and does it support play list and propose a good playlist management ? 

Words like "decent" and "good" mean different things to different people. You can try it for free and play with it. Full HD functionality however costs a few $ but you should be able to get a feel for it without needing to pay for anything.

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #677 of 6,550
  Words like "decent" and "good" mean different things to different people. You can try it for free and play with it. Full HD functionality however costs a few $ but you should be able to get a feel for it without needing to pay for anything.

Words like "decent" and "good" mean different things to different people  
biggrin.gif
  I AGREE...

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #678 of 6,550
  ^^ Well I am intrigued that someone actually thought that wifi was a useful feature. I thought that it was unnecessary and verging on silly.

(I doubt that they will lose one single sale over the wifi omission. USB cables are ubiquitous and cheap.)

For those who has a CAS system at home, maybe we can access Home NAS via WiFi, or better still, stream audio from a NAS to your Calyx-M through VPN/WiFi, imagine you can download a song from your home NAS to the player when you are sitting at Starbuck, that' cool indeed.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 3, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #679 of 6,550

For those who has a CAS system at home, maybe we can access Home NAS via WiFi, or better still, stream audio from a NAS to your Calyx-M through VPN/WiFi, imagine you can download a song from your home NAS to the player when you are sitting at Starbuck, that' cool indeed.

With up to 448GB of onboard storage you'd have to have a seriously impressive music library to need to take advantage of any WiFi functionality.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #680 of 6,550

Andy, I think that I can understand your interest in downloading music at Starbucks although that doesn't personally resonate with me. However I believe the reality to be this: Calyx are determined to bring in the M at under $1,000 because they have determined that to be its market position. I don't think that we can fault them for that. There is also limited real estate in their (already not quite diminutive) design to put circuits and slots. In the circumstances, I see the choice as between something fundamental to the function of the M (i.e. memory expansion to allow for a serious lossless and/or high-res music collection to be kept onboard) and something more akin to a frilly pink tutu that they could wrap around the M (i.e. the ability to download music at Starbucks). Getting our priorities straight should not be too difficult.  :)

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #681 of 6,550

Calyx are determined to bring in the M at under $1,000

IF so THEN my Mr.Wallet is at their disposal for the said amount
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #682 of 6,550
Good move from Calyx to include an SD card slot as well in the final product but then again this is most likely caused by the emergence of the AK240 with its 256 GB + microSD slot capacity and the good initial impressions of the X5 which otherwise could be brought to the same maximum capacity as the Calyx (original 64 gb + microSD), with this move Calyx has made sure it has a capacity edge over the X5 and now can reach the same max capacity as the AK240.

I'd say they are going for iRiver's jugular, I wish them good carnage.
beyersmile.png

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #683 of 6,550
Good move from Calyx to include an SD card slot as well in the final product but then again this is most likely caused by the emergence of the AK240 with its 256 GB + microSD slot capacity and the good initial impressions of the X5 which otherwise could be brought to the same maximum capacity as the Calyx (original 64 gb + microSD), with this move Calyx has made sure it has a capacity edge over the X5 and now can reach the same max capacity as the AK240.

I'd say they are going for iRiver's jugular, I wish them good carnage. :beyersmile:

i pity people rushing to buy AK240 without waiting to hear Calyx M, something tells me M might smoke AK out sound wise because amp section is what matters as i could see and hear with other DAPs and opinions.

love Calyx already, hope M sounds like true high end....

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #685 of 6,550
I hope it sounds spectacular.... First impressions are coming in of the AK240 and it seems to be extremely good sounding. Since i want to buy the best there is available i hope Calyx M is up to it.  April is a long way away when you are sitting and waiting. It will probably be more like May before any meaningful review or impressions come in..   

VisceriousZero, you bought an AK240 didn't you ? Are you seriously looking at this as well ?  That would be an interesting SQ shoot out. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #686 of 6,550
I hope it sounds spectacular.... First impressions are coming in of the AK240 and it seems to be extremely good sounding. Since i want to buy the best there is available i hope Calyx M is up to it.  April is a long way away when you are sitting and waiting. It will probably be more like May before any meaningful review or impressions come in..   

VisceriousZero, you bought an AK240 didn't you ? Are you seriously looking at this as well ?  That would be an interesting SQ shoot out. 

And he has the ZX1

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #688 of 6,550

Andy, I think that I can understand your interest in downloading music at Starbucks although that doesn't personally resonate with me. However I believe the reality to be this: Calyx are determined to bring in the M at under $1,000 because they have determined that to be its market position. I don't think that we can fault them for that. There is also limited real estate in their (already not quite diminutive) design to put circuits and slots. In the circumstances, I see the choice as between something fundamental to the function of the M (i.e. memory expansion to allow for a serious lossless and/or high-res music collection to be kept onboard) and something more akin to a frilly pink tutu that they could wrap around the M (i.e. the ability to download music at Starbucks). Getting our priorities straight should not be too difficult.  :)

With up to 448GB of onboard storage you'd have to have a seriously impressive music library to need to take advantage of any WiFi functionality.

If you roll back just a few pages, you'll see quite a number of users saying how difficult it is to cope with the 128G limit because their library are using TB as storage unit, not GB.
cool.gif

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #689 of 6,550

If you roll back just a few pages, you'll see quite a number of users saying how difficult it is to cope with the 128G limit because their library are using TB as storage unit, not GB.
cool.gif

But that doesn't negate the usefulness of 300-400gb instead of 128gb.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #690 of 6,550

I sure understand and appreciate the decision of Calyx, otherwise I won't redirect their Facebook message to this forum as soon as I saw their update on Facebook, I merely provide a "possibilities" when I saw you describe the WiFi function as "unnecessary and verging on silly".  To me that is not a silly function.  It is not a primary feature (Storage capacity is a primary feature to me), but something nice-to-have, it provide a partial solution to TB based music collection, and might even develop into a lifestyle when CAS become more popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back