$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Feb 3, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #661 of 6,550
I don't see the digital out as such a biggie. The internal electronics then become greatly irrelevant. You can buy a cheap DAP from many other manufacturers to get  your digital transport fix. 

The Calyx M will sink or swim on its sound quality. That is where they are experts and that is what has me excited....

...well that and the M:use UI...  :D  

Well, once you got your music stored and carefully organised in one DAP, you do not want to gavé to store and manage it in a séparate DAP. You want all your music manages & stored in one place.

And I believe that, with 1/2 To of storage and such great UI, NOW the M has the potential to become our only home music server ! .
A new additional market for Calyx :) !!!

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #663 of 6,550
Well, once you got your music stored and carefully organised in one DAP, you do not want to gavé to store and manage it in a séparate DAP. You want all your music manages & stored in one place.

And i believe that NOW the M has the potential to become our only music server !
if you have my track record of losing things you wouldn't trusty your music collection to something that small...

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #664 of 6,550
^^ Well I am intrigued that someone actually thought that wifi was a useful feature. I thought that it was unnecessary and verging on silly.

(I doubt that they will lose one single sale over the wifi omission. USB cables are ubiquitous and cheap.)

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #665 of 6,550
Feb 3, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #668 of 6,550

Yeah, cool. Just checking.

I'd love to see a digital-out on the Calyx but they said the following on Facebook, and I have to reluctantly admit that I can see their point:

As I'm sure you're already aware, OKGuy has had it confirmed that the Hugo does function correctly with the NW-ZX1, so you'll be OK with that combo.

And if you are undecided and happen to have an apple iOS device (phone or pad) - you can output 24/192 and DSD64.
DXD via macbook works though have not tried on an iOS device. Can save while the dust settles on these DAPs. This is my current strategy (on deciding what DAP/Server to use with the Hugo).

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #670 of 6,550
Is there any line out on this (non digital)? At $1k it's the prefect price to pair with a balanced RSA amp to get balanced out for CIEMs and drive bigger headphones.

From Calyx Facebook

Line-Out of Calyx M:

The volume control of Calyx M is done by a programmed attenuator, of which steps varies 0.01dB to 0.5dB.

So it keeps its output impedance keep the same at each step and this is a real line out when you put the volume slide at the max.

Real Line-out of Calyx M? YES!

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #671 of 6,550
  if you are undecided and happen to have an apple iOS device ....  you can output 24/192 and DSD64.

Without downsampling ! How ??

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #673 of 6,550
It's not quite blind faith, but I do have pretty much no doubt the M will sound terrific. I would buy this DAP primarily because of its abilities as a sourc, so the lack of digital out is of no consequence to me. As long as it has a quality line-out, it's all good to me. I can now forget the AK240 even exists.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #674 of 6,550
  Downsampling would kind of defeat the purpose....
Used the Onkyo HF app to output HD material into the Hugo via the lightning USB adapter.

AHHH... the famous " Onkyo HF app " :)  But does this player has a decent UI, and does it support play list and propose a good playlist management ? 

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #675 of 6,550
AHHH... the famous " Onkyo HF app " :)  But does this player has a decent UI, and does it support play list and propose a good playlist management ? 

From their website it sure looks like the UI looks good and there is dynamic playlist management.

If the DAC is great as it should be with a true line out I'd love to see them come out with a dock eventually and use it as a Source/DAC for a home system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back