Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 161

post #2401 of 7785

Has anyone tried out the Mapletree Ear+ Super II? I know it's a tube amp but it has the lowest output impedance for a tube amp (<1.3 ohms) that I know of. I don't know about the TH900, but I've seen some people comment that Mapletree headphone amps sounded too warm and syrupy with Denon's D7000 (which are known to have a similar sound signature to the TH900, albeit inferior to the TH900 in nearly all aspects). I don't know if this would also apply to Super II as well as other amps, or if this would also apply to TH900 as well as D7000, but what do you guys think? I know the general consensus with previous Denon users was that they preferred solid-state amps over tube amps with Denons. Of course some of you folks like tubes with Denons or TH900's too, but do you think TH900's sound signature is already warm that using a warm tube amp like Mapletree's Super II would make the sound too warm and syrupy? I'd appreciate your input.

 

FYI, it appears that Mapletree amps are widely recommended with Grado cans. Not sure about Denon/Fostex though.


Edited by songmic - 11/19/12 at 1:02am
post #2402 of 7785
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

Has anyone tried out the Mapletree Ear+ Super II? I know it's a tube amp but it has the lowest output impedance for a tube amp (<1.3 ohms) that I know of. I don't know about the TH900, but I've seen some people comment that Mapletree headphone amps sounded too warm and syrupy with Denon's D7000 (which are known to have a similar sound signature to the TH900, albeit inferior to the TH900 in nearly all aspects). I don't know if this would also apply to Super II as well as other amps, or if this would also apply to TH900 as well as D7000, but what do you guys think? I know the general consensus with previous Denon users was that they preferred solid-state amps over tube amps with Denons. Of course some of you folks like tubes with Denons or TH900's too, but do you think TH900's sound signature is already warm that using a warm tube amp like Mapletree's Super II would make the sound too warm and syrupy? I'd appreciate your input.

 

I don't know anything about the Mapletree. 

I also find most tube amps sound too warm in the mids and to me that sounds like some kind of distortion.

Not so with the Zana and HP4, my impression is they sound like a top SS amp should sound but never does.

IMO ofcourse.

post #2403 of 7785

I've fallen so in love with the sound of the TH-900 that I am more than content with calling it my end game headphone.  It has all of the qualities from the other headphones that I like and puts them in to one package.  There are some things that the other headphones do better, but in return they sacrifice other things that I listen for and enjoy.

 

The TH-900 has very little that I do not enjoy, and tons of things that I do enjoy, and enjoy immensely.  It is a work of art to my eyes and ears.

 

I've listened to quite a few high end headphones and these are it for me.  I will continue to audition and try out the other headphones because I'm always looking for that nirvana, but until something comes along that manages to create a "better" audio nirvana for me than the TH-900s have, I am satisfied.

 

I am going to be downsizing my collection in the near future as I have no motivation whatsoever to pick up other headphones now that the Fostex have arrived and been on my head for pretty much all of my free time over the last week. 

 

The only other can that I've picked up to listen to is the AT W3000ANV.  I still prefer it for those magical vocal moments, but the clarity and the versatility of the TH-900 still wins when it comes to choosing which I want to listen to at a particular moment.

 

At this time, I plan on downsizing to the TH-900 and the W3000ANV.  I will also be selling the Mjolnir as I am not touching the cables on these two cans and will look towards another option for amping them.  

 

If you have the means to listen to the TH-900, then do so.  Your ears deserve it.

post #2404 of 7785
Which amp are you using for the fostex?
post #2405 of 7785
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokendog View Post

I've fallen so in love with the sound of the TH-900 that I am more than content with calling it my end game headphone.  It has all of the qualities from the other headphones that I like and puts them in to one package...

 

That's a pretty cool thing to read considering the 'phones in your sig. 

post #2406 of 7785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert481 View Post

Which amp are you using for the fostex?

 

Amazingly enough, the Fiio E9.  The Mjolnir wasn't an option, and the Lyr is too powerful and not worth the risk.  Yes, that's right.  The TH-900s, just like the D7000s I used to own, sounds great out of the modest little Fiio E9.

 

Of course, I am going to be upgrading to a better amp soon.  I'm eyeing the V200 or the WA6SE.  The Fiio E9 was the only amp I had available at the time and to my surprise, it sounds damn good.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

 

That's a pretty cool thing to read considering the 'phones in your sig. 

 

I was just as shocked as you.  I've never been as satisfied as I am with the TH-900s, with perhaps the exception of the HD-800s.  However, those lacked a few qualities that I preferred in my sound.  I've actually changed my mind today and am going to keep the TH-900s, the W3000ANV, and the HD-800.  The rest of the collection is being sold off.

post #2407 of 7785
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokendog View Post

 

Amazingly enough, the Fiio E9.  The Mjolnir wasn't an option, and the Lyr is too powerful and not worth the risk.  Yes, that's right.  The TH-900s, just like the D7000s I used to own, sounds great out of the modest little Fiio E9.

 

Of course, I am going to be upgrading to a better amp soon.  I'm eyeing the V200 or the WA6SE.  The Fiio E9 was the only amp I had available at the time and to my surprise, it sounds damn good.

 

 

I was just as shocked as you.  I've never been as satisfied as I am with the TH-900s, with perhaps the exception of the HD-800s.  However, those lacked a few qualities that I preferred in my sound.  I've actually changed my mind today and am going to keep the TH-900s, the W3000ANV, and the HD-800.  The rest of the collection is being sold off.

 

Ever tried the HP-P1?

It was amazing to hear how well that little amp/dac could drive all of my closed phones.

I didn't have any high impedance open ones anymore at the time though so I never tried those with it.

post #2408 of 7785

I know it's been asked before, but what is currently the best place in the US to buy these (i.e. actually in stock!)? Any current or near-future deals? Thanks.

 

-Daniel

post #2409 of 7785
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokendog View Post
...  I'm eyeing the V200 or the WA6SE.  ...

Bryston BHA-1 might also be an option (i did not hear until now).

post #2410 of 7785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert481 View Post

Bryston BHA-1 might also be an option (i did not hear until now).

 

BHA-1 is decent as a balanced amp, but its single-ended output is said to be mediocre. At least that's what I heard.

post #2411 of 7785

>>but its single-ended output is said to be mediocre

interesting info - do you remember where you got this info? (link?)

post #2412 of 7785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert481 View Post

>>but its single-ended output is said to be mediocre

interesting info - do you remember where you got this info? (link?)

 

I can't remember, but I definitely saw this in Head-fi a week ago I think. Then again, that's all they said. Moon Audio, on the other hand, seems to favor the BHA-1 over all the other amps it sells (including DP1, Soloist, etc.) for the TH900. Maybe that Head-fi'er was trying to say that the single-ended output is not as great as the balanced outputs? Still, I personally wouldn't buy a balanced amp if I'm going to use it primarily as single-ended.

post #2413 of 7785
Hasn't Cary also come out with an amp recently?

For low-impedance non-ortho cans, the Furutech ADL Esprit is great, but a bit expensive at $1k.
post #2414 of 7785
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokendog View Post

I've fallen so in love with the sound of the TH-900 that I am more than content with calling it my end game headphone.  It has all of the qualities from the other headphones that I like and puts them in to one package.  There are some things that the other headphones do better, but in return they sacrifice other things that I listen for and enjoy.

 

The TH-900 has very little that I do not enjoy, and tons of things that I do enjoy, and enjoy immensely.  It is a work of art to my eyes and ears.

 

I've listened to quite a few high end headphones and these are it for me.  I will continue to audition and try out the other headphones because I'm always looking for that nirvana, but until something comes along that manages to create a "better" audio nirvana for me than the TH-900s have, I am satisfied.

 

I am going to be downsizing my collection in the near future as I have no motivation whatsoever to pick up other headphones now that the Fostex have arrived and been on my head for pretty much all of my free time over the last week. 

 

The only other can that I've picked up to listen to is the AT W3000ANV.  I still prefer it for those magical vocal moments, but the clarity and the versatility of the TH-900 still wins when it comes to choosing which I want to listen to at a particular moment.

 

At this time, I plan on downsizing to the TH-900 and the W3000ANV.  I will also be selling the Mjolnir as I am not touching the cables on these two cans and will look towards another option for amping them.  

 

If you have the means to listen to the TH-900, then do so.  Your ears deserve it.

 

Despite its unique colourations, the W3000ANV sounds like the more balanced headphone to me overall. But I still prefer the TH-900 for the reasons you've given. And I continue to detect some glare in those magic A-T mids. I'm a bit ambivalent towards the W3000ANV and not sure if it's going to be a keeper. I have no doubt that the TH-900 will be.

post #2415 of 7785

The W3000s have a frequency response that is on drugs, but can be endearing with a good tube hybrid amp. Random parts of the spectrum, and instruments with them are brought forward, but the overall result is a bit honkey. The TH900s are nicely opposite that, being from the same stable as the previous Denon range, but with the refinement that Denons didn't have.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread