Thank you all for the DT 1350 amping feedback. May have just saved me some money.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAiaiai TMA-1tagged by System, 10/5/11
- productbeyerdynamic T50ptagged by System, 10/7/11
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 10/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/5/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/5/11
- productPioneer HDJ-2000 Reference Professional Dj Headphonestagged by System, 10/5/11
- productSennheiser Adidas HD 25-1 II Orginals Headphones (Black/Blue)tagged by System, 10/7/11
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 10/7/11
- productSennheiser HD 25 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 10/5/11
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-80tagged by System, 10/7/11
Related Forum Threads
- Any competition for Portapro's if these are my requirements? Last post on 7/5/12 at 5:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for "all purpose?" cans Last post on 9/2/11 at 5:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- looking for amazing sound headphones under 300.00 Last post on 3/31/13 at 7:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Most noise isolating portable over ear phones Last post on 12/12/12 at 9:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable Headphones, On-ear vs over-ear and how much should one spend? etc... Last post on 9/20/12 at 8:14am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger views of any photo - please click for access to 1200 x 800 images INTRODUCTION I’ve only recently heard about thinksound™ audio, and before Head-Fi user d marc0 contacted me, I’d...
I just bought this headphone and it sound amazing, I did a burn in for about 20hr and the sound improve dramatically compared when the headphone was in the box. The comfort is phenomenal and due to...
Bought one of these to keep me going while I save for a replacement dac for my bedside rig. My previous Dac's have all been in the lower to mid end so this review is based on that level- Arcam,...
Details: Single balanced armature flagship universal IEMs from Final Audio Design Price: Heaven VII EU 550; Heaven VIII EU 600 Specs: Driver: Single BA | Imp: 24Ω | Sens: 106 dB | Freq: not...
The Audeze LCD 2.2 is one of the most popular headphones on Head-Fi. Much has already been written about them, so adding yet another review may not offer anything new or different. However, when...
[review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer HDJ-2000, V-Moda M80, Aiaiai TMA-1 - Page 16
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #227 of 44011/9/11 at 9:52am
Armaegis, would you be interested in auditioning a pair of Phiaton MS400 for your review? If so I would willingly loan you mine; they are up for sale but nobody is biting, and I'd love to see how they stack up against the crew you've assembled.post #228 of 44011/9/11 at 10:14amThread Starter
I used to have the MS400 actually. I have separate reviews for it here...post #229 of 44011/9/11 at 10:58ampost #230 of 44011/9/11 at 3:59pm
How would you say the M80 stacks up to the MS400 as far as bass impact and warmth go? I love my MS400, the bass texture on them is way beyond other headphones I have heard, but the impact just doesn't stack up without amping and eqing (even then it just doesn't feel right, even before I hit distortion levels it starts to lose detail)and I am underwhelmed by their rolled-off highs. Do you think the M80 would slake my need for in-your-faceness, or would I be better off with the HD25?post #231 of 44011/9/11 at 4:57pm
If you're underwhelmed with the MS400's rolled off highs, I dare say you may not be impressed with the M-80's highs. They're polite and purposely non-fatiguing - not as accentuated as on the HD25. If you have no problem with a narrow soundstage, you should pick up a pair of HD25s. But I can tell you that the M-80's tonality overall is more accurate than the MS400. All three are great cans for different reasons, but if you want some crispier highs the HD25 is the way to go IMO. If I were you, I would try hearing both before making a decision (J&R should have some HD25s to audition and I'm sure you should be able to find the M-80s more easily).post #232 of 44011/9/11 at 5:50pmThread Starter
The MS400 is warmer in tone than the M80 and rumbles a bit more, but it doesn't really impact. The M80 is slightly better here, but it too is on the more polite side of things. Treblewise, the M80 extends more than the MS400 and offers some more detail, but both share a the once again more polite presentation.post #233 of 44011/10/11 at 9:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gilly87
How would you say the M80 stacks up to the MS400 as far as bass impact and warmth go? I love my MS400, the bass texture on them is way beyond other headphones I have heard, but the impact just doesn't stack up without amping and eqing (even then it just doesn't feel right, even before I hit distortion levels it starts to lose detail)and I am underwhelmed by their rolled-off highs. Do you think the M80 would slake my need for in-your-faceness, or would I be better off with the HD25?
Yeah I agree the Ms400 really lacks impacting bass, but I do loveeeeeeee the mids. The HD25 has nice highs less harsh than most but still more harsh than the MS400s, which are veryyyy laid back similarly to the laid back M50's, HD25 has good impact, but not strong bass so more you hear it than anything as people are telling me M80 bass is bass you can feel. Oh and MS400 mids are a touch better than HD25 mids imo cause they are relaxed,but HD25 has much better treble and everything is more articulate and clean.post #234 of 44011/10/11 at 9:58pmThread Starter
I like the mids on the MS400 much more than the HD25. The Senn easily wins for energy and thump, but sometimes you just want to kick back and relax. Then there's the far end with the TMA-1... I've described the MS400 as like chocolate for your ear, but the TMA-1 is more like molasses.post #235 of 44011/11/11 at 1:29amQuote:Originally Posted by Armaegis
I like the mids on the MS400 much more than the HD25. The Senn easily wins for energy and thump, but sometimes you just want to kick back and relax. Then there's the far end with the TMA-1... I've described the MS400 as like chocolate for your ear, but the TMA-1 is more like molasses.
I think it's safe to say the TMA-1 is the stoner headphone of the group. To my ears that thing was so dark and laid back it was almost overkill. Good headphone if you like dark sounding rumbling bass that goes DOOOOFFF DOOOOOOFFF DOOOOOFFF. Armaegis it's to bad you don't have a heavy bass centric amp. It would be a hoot to see just how strong and deep that rumble could go.
The M-80 is all about mids and bass. If you want clean sparkling highs you won't get it from the M-80. The HD25 has a mid bass hump which will boom at you and sparkly highs but the mids will feel slightly recessed. The HD25 is also known for a lusher sound while the M-80 is more of a cleaner liquidy sound. Hope my choice of words makes sense.
Edited by DigitalFreak - 11/11/11 at 1:35ampost #236 of 44011/11/11 at 4:16am
Yeah the MS400s definitely feel almost sleepy to me...the sound is great, and even though the mids are a tad recessed they do make male vocals stand out; females not so much but still solid. The bass sounds good, but its kind of...wimpy. With the MS400 I find myself wanting to turn them up even when they're loud, and not even just for the bass...they are just so laid back that sometimes its just not engaging. Awesome for Massive Attack; not so much for Infected Mushroom. Beethoven is an interesting experience with them, not as passionate as I'd like to hear but very nostalgic sounding on some tracks, it kind of takes me back to when I was a kid listening to Beethoven Lives Upstairs while trying to fall asleep. If headphones were greetings, the MS400 is a warm, familiar hug. I love hugs but I expect my friends to be up for the occasional chest bump XD Although I have to say, talking about their strengths makes me want to hold on to them... Something tells me I will wind up owning all 3 of these...d'oh...post #237 of 44011/16/11 at 5:54pmpost #238 of 44011/17/11 at 6:23pmThread Starter
A bit more fooling around with the M80.. this was my previous mod: some bluetack in the cup, vent untouched, some felt inside behind the driver, and a very thin foam under the plate.
Here's the current one: replaced the foam under the plate with some thin vibration dampener (scribbled some black marker near the bottom so you wouldn't see the blue under the vents), poked some holes in the material with a pin so I could still screw the plates down; replaced the felt inside with a chunk of open celled foam, no foam over the vents (no pic of that unfortunately).post #239 of 44011/17/11 at 7:31pmpost #240 of 44011/18/11 at 2:33am
- [review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer HDJ-2000, V-Moda M80, Aiaiai TMA-1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread 43 seconds ago
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › [Review] CK100PRO Unboxing & Impressions (+ a retrospective journey... 3 minutes ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 5 minutes ago
- › Remote FLAC streaming 6 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 8 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi mi note and note 8 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 9 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2