[review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer HDJ-2000, V-Moda M80, Aiaiai TMA-1
Nov 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #212 of 452
Personal preference, I would go with the HD25-1-ii. Perhaps the HD25-13-ii if running from a tube amp.

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #213 of 452
So the HDJ-2000 gain close to nothing from amping it seems like...it'll sound pretty much the same from all sources?

Also, as far as portable DACs, how would they sound with an e7?

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #214 of 452
The Pioneer didn't gain much from amping in my experience. A dac/amp might show some improvement if your laptop output is lousy (most are). Don't get an amp with a high gain though; the Pioneer doesn't need much juice to go loud. 

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #215 of 452
Hey Armaegis
Great thread! Completely agree with your summation on the M80s. However, I actually returned mine when I found there was a slight buzzing in the cups with sub bass at decently loud but not ear-splitting volumes. It's pretty pronounced on the song "Limit to your love" by James Blake which has a lot of sub bass. Let me know if you encountered a similar problem or it was just my pair. Thanks!

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #216 of 452
I did encounter some buzzing at sub bass levels as well as one treble peak. The two culprits were the plate/shield and internal wiring, which can vibrate. To fix the plate, I put a very thin sheet of foam between the cup and plate. For the wire inside, I just used a tiny piece of poster putty to hold the wire in place without it resting against any plastic.

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #217 of 452
Has anybody tried the Beyer 1350s with a RSA P-51 Mustang amp?  I got my 1350s recently and am not happy with how they sound being driven directly from a iPod 160 GB Classic.  So, am in the market for a portable amp.

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #218 of 452

Quote:
Has anybody tried the Beyer 1350s with a RSA P-51 Mustang amp?  I got my 1350s recently and am not happy with how they sound being driven directly from a iPod 160 GB Classic.  So, am in the market for a portable amp.

I did a little amping with my DT1350 using an amp I commissioned Armaegis to build. Amping improved small bits here and there nothing to write home about though. What specifically don't you like about the DT1350's sound and is it just when you're using your iPod you're getting the issue?

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #219 of 452

Quote:
I did a little amping with my DT1350 using an amp I commissioned Armaegis to build. Amping improved small bits here and there nothing to write home about though. What specifically don't you like about the DT1350's sound and is it just when you're using your iPod you're getting the issue?

It is just driving them straight from an iPod that is a problem.  Have to run the iPod volume near max most of the time and bass is lacking.  The 1350s sound great when connected to a desktop amp, but I bought them for portable use.  So, amp looking for a nice portable amp in the $500 or less range.

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #220 of 452
What kind of volumes are you listening at? They got uncomfortably loud with my Fuze.

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #221 of 452
I at the age that I have some hearing loss and a slight case of tinnitus from time to time, so listening levels are reasonable to hopefully prevent further damage..  At this volume level though the bass is lacking.

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #222 of 452
Using my iBasso D10 on low gain (+3dB), it got louder than I'd ever want to listen. I think even a simple cmoy should be enough to drive them to good potential.

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #224 of 452
I wasn't a fan of the bass either. It plays fantastically with low Hz test tones, but just doesn't deliver when playing with music.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #225 of 452

Quote:
I at the age that I have some hearing loss and a slight case of tinnitus from time to time, so listening levels are reasonable to hopefully prevent further damage..  At this volume level though the bass is lacking.

The bass on the DT1350 has always been thin it just has no slam. You may not like hearing this BmWr75 but the DT1350 may not be the headphone for you. I doubt you'll find a headphone amp that'll fix your I want more bass problems. Right now I'm running my DT1350's through a third generation iPod touch and a Clip++ with no issues in volume. The only idea that comes to mind as far as getting more bass is maybe getting a cmoy with a bass boost feature or a ZO amp. I've heard some good things about ZO try looking around the ZO amp threads maybe you can find someone with a DT1350 who can tell you if it's a good pairing or not. You don't need a very powerful amp for the DT1350 so don't bother spending tons of money on a powerful high end mobile amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back