Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 521

post #7801 of 21171
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

Why is your SR325i black and not silver? blink.gif

The first run of 325 cups were black anodized aluminum. Grado then switched to the silver cups.

These pre-dated the RS1/2 and were John Grado's first attempt at a premium/professional headphone.

At the time he was trying to "replace" the HP1000 headphones which were no longer being made.

 

He basically increased the size of the outer cups (to match the HP1/2/3) and made them of metal instead of plastic and then selected the best possible drivers.

The 325 cost $300, which was only $95 less than the HP3 ($395) or half the cost of the HP1 ($595)

The drivers were either lower matching HP1000 or the pink transitional drivers.

When John developed the RS1/2 he made the RS2 cups the same size as the 325 ie. larger than the plastic SR but smaller than the RS1.

Seems he thinks size matters....


Edited by parbaked - 6/26/13 at 5:20pm
post #7802 of 21171

UPS just dropped off the ear zonk pads, a set of G's, and a set of L's. VERY much initial impressions:

the G's very comfortable, didn't sound good at all to me with the 225, very little bass, lost the "up front" feel

the ear zonk L's on the 225 sound much better , i could live with it i think, but the stock grado may the way to go,

haven't gotten around to trying the zonk L's on the 60 or ms1 yet , here's some pics:

 

the G's

 

the L's (grado left, zonks right)

L's grado left  zonks to the right

 

 

 

the ear zonks are a little harder to get on the cups

post #7803 of 21171

I totally agree about the (G) cushions, also they gave me the impression that all of the instruments had the same tone and there was no texture to them, and I personnaly didn't like the huge soundstage, and I thought the (L) cushions were just as comfortable.

Enjoy checking them out!!! 

post #7804 of 21171

jaywillin and the zonks the same foam as the OG Grado pads?

post #7805 of 21171
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post

jaywillin and the zonks the same foam as the OG Grado pads?


 if its not the same, its very, very close, the shape, the cut of the form a slightly different, the stock L's  a hair thicker

i tried to show on the side by side shot ,

the zonk L's on the ms1 and the 60 seem to be fine sound wise, definitely better than s-cushes !!

post #7806 of 21171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post

UPS just dropped off the ear zonk pads, a set of G's, and a set of L's. VERY much initial impressions:

the G's very comfortable, didn't sound good at all to me with the 225, very little bass, lost the "up front" feel

the ear zonk L's on the 225 sound much better , i could live with it i think, but the stock grado may the way to go,

haven't gotten around to trying the zonk L's on the 60 or ms1 yet , here's some pics:

 

the ear zonks are a little harder to get on the cups

Sorry, I just can't endorse or encourage buying knock off pads, but maybe that's just me.

I do encourage folk to try the L-Cush and the TTVJ Flats for all their Grados except PS/GS1000

post #7807 of 21171
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

Sorry, I just can't endorse or encourage buying knock off pads, but maybe that's just me.

I do encourage folk to try the L-Cush and the TTVJ Flats for all their Grados except PS/GS1000


i hope i didn't come off as endorsing , i just thought i'd try them, it seems most of us are are always trying to find something better, or different, hence all the modding. are the "zonks"as good as the grado's i don't know. i do prefer the zonk L's to the grado S's on the 60 and the ms1, but that's just my opinion, and also, i wouldn't try to pass them off as grado pads, you can tell a difference

post #7808 of 21171

I use my SR80i mainly at night (when i have my glasses back on), and i'm sitting at my computer, and one thing i like about the S cush is that i find them more comfortable than the L cush, when i'm wearing my glasses.

 

 Now, i have heard so much good about putting the L cush on the SR80is, that, since i have a pair lying around, i'm going them tomorrow, and report back on my findings.

post #7809 of 21171

Look forward to hearing about your impressions on the 80's with the (L) cushions.

Very surprised that you never tried them on the 80's though, I would have thought you would have had them on from the beginning, but now, knowing that you wear glasses, and being that the (S) cushion is smaller and softer than the (L) cushion, I can understand why you would use them. You may be very surprised with how the 80's sound with the (L) cushions, you may have a whole new prospective of the 80's, and I know you speak highly about the 80's even though you have headphones costing 10+ more times the amount. I think you will be very impressed.

post #7810 of 21171
I think you need a min level of power for your G-Cush experience ^.^

Either a matched low imp amp/dac combo and/or;

RS1/MS Pro/PS500 tier or above which is by default bigger

I kinda feel theyre like bigger wheels so u need more juice behind em to get traction
post #7811 of 21171

Well I am taking a little break from this site. Getting tired of the Grado bashing and certain people whose attitude is 'If I own it, it's great and everything else is garbage, especially if it is made by Grado" Then trying to justify that with nonspecific 'facts'.

 Anyway I may be back, just need a break from the snobbery.

post #7812 of 21171
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post

Well I am taking a little break from this site. Getting tired of the Grado bashing and certain people whose attitude is 'If I own it, it's great and everything else is garbage, especially if it is made by Grado" Then trying to justify that with nonspecific 'facts'.

 Anyway I may be back, just need a break from the snobbery.

Well I love both grado and sennheiser, its just 2 different flavored scoops of icecreamsmile_phones.gif

Also to those involved in the snobbery war:

No matter what audiophile journey we cross,

We must remember the reason and not get lost.

post #7813 of 21171
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

Well I love both grado and sennheiser, its just 2 different flavored scoops of icecream:smile_phones:


Also to those involved in the snobbery war:


No matter what audiophile journey we cross,
We must remember the reason and not get lost.

And above all, never forget that every hifi system is limited. The real fidelity lies in concerts. smily_headphones1.gifcool.gif
post #7814 of 21171
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilz View Post

And above all, never forget that every hifi system is limited. The real fidelity lies in concerts. smily_headphones1.gifcool.gif

Not the way they mix it now a days: full volume, a LOT of bass.(this counts for rock concerts, at least)


Those who bash brands without any facts, usually do it because they don't understand that different people experience sound differently. Be patient with them, as they have a lot to learn smily_headphones1.gif
post #7815 of 21171
I am now, next to the RS-2, in the possesion of brand new SR-80i's.
And for €100 i think that's a very great deal.

The person i bought them from was interested in getting the PS500, and we had a nice talk about Grado's.

I can't help but wonder why he never used them and then "gave" them away for such a low price though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!