Grado Fan Club!
Jun 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #7,786 of 65,787
Quote:
UPS just dropped off the ear zonk pads, a set of G's, and a set of L's. VERY much initial impressions:
the G's very comfortable, didn't sound good at all to me with the 225, very little bass, lost the "up front" feel
the ear zonk L's on the 225 sound much better , i could live with it i think, but the stock grado may the way to go,
haven't gotten around to trying the zonk L's on the 60 or ms1 yet , here's some pics:

the ear zonks are a little harder to get on the cups

Sorry, I just can't endorse or encourage buying knock off pads, but maybe that's just me.
I do encourage folk to try the L-Cush and the TTVJ Flats for all their Grados except PS/GS1000

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #7,787 of 65,787
Quote:
Sorry, I just can't endorse or encourage buying knock off pads, but maybe that's just me.
I do encourage folk to try the L-Cush and the TTVJ Flats for all their Grados except PS/GS1000

i hope i didn't come off as endorsing , i just thought i'd try them, it seems most of us are are always trying to find something better, or different, hence all the modding. are the "zonks"as good as the grado's i don't know. i do prefer the zonk L's to the grado S's on the 60 and the ms1, but that's just my opinion, and also, i wouldn't try to pass them off as grado pads, you can tell a difference

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #7,788 of 65,787
I use my SR80i mainly at night (when i have my glasses back on), and i'm sitting at my computer, and one thing i like about the S cush is that i find them more comfortable than the L cush, when i'm wearing my glasses.

Now, i have heard so much good about putting the L cush on the SR80is, that, since i have a pair lying around, i'm going them tomorrow, and report back on my findings.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #7,789 of 65,787
Look forward to hearing about your impressions on the 80's with the (L) cushions.
Very surprised that you never tried them on the 80's though, I would have thought you would have had them on from the beginning, but now, knowing that you wear glasses, and being that the (S) cushion is smaller and softer than the (L) cushion, I can understand why you would use them. You may be very surprised with how the 80's sound with the (L) cushions, you may have a whole new prospective of the 80's, and I know you speak highly about the 80's even though you have headphones costing 10+ more times the amount. I think you will be very impressed.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #7,790 of 65,787
I think you need a min level of power for your G-Cush experience ^.^

Either a matched low imp amp/dac combo and/or;

RS1/MS Pro/PS500 tier or above which is by default bigger

I kinda feel theyre like bigger wheels so u need more juice behind em to get traction

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #7,791 of 65,787
Well I am taking a little break from this site. Getting tired of the Grado bashing and certain people whose attitude is 'If I own it, it's great and everything else is garbage, especially if it is made by Grado" Then trying to justify that with nonspecific 'facts'.
 Anyway I may be back, just need a break from the snobbery.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #7,792 of 65,787
Quote:
Well I am taking a little break from this site. Getting tired of the Grado bashing and certain people whose attitude is 'If I own it, it's great and everything else is garbage, especially if it is made by Grado" Then trying to justify that with nonspecific 'facts'.

Well I love both grado and sennheiser, its just 2 different flavored scoops of icecream
smile_phones.gif

Also to those involved in the snobbery war:

No matter what audiophile journey we cross,
We must remember the reason and not get lost.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #7,794 of 65,787
And above all, never forget that every hifi system is limited. The real fidelity lies in concerts. :) :cool:

Not the way they mix it now a days: full volume, a LOT of bass.(this counts for rock concerts, at least)

Those who bash brands without any facts, usually do it because they don't understand that different people experience sound differently. Be patient with them, as they have a lot to learn :)

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #7,795 of 65,787
I am now, next to the RS-2, in the possesion of brand new SR-80i's.
And for €100 i think that's a very great deal.

The person i bought them from was interested in getting the PS500, and we had a nice talk about Grado's.

I can't help but wonder why he never used them and then "gave" them away for such a low price though.

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #7,796 of 65,787
I am now, next to the RS-2, in the possesion of brand new SR-80i's.
And for €100 i think that's a very great deal.

The person i bought them from was interested in getting the PS500, and we had a nice talk about Grado's.

I can't help but wonder why he never used them and then "gave" them away for such a low price though.

You've just paid its right price, not more, not less. Have a look on amazon fr or uk if you want to check :wink:

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #7,797 of 65,787
You've just paid its right price, not more, not less. Have a look on amazon fr or uk if you want to check :wink:

The dutch pricelist for Grado is online in it's entirety, and i can't buy from amazon...
Very happy with it, drivers seem to be the same as the RS-2?

Jun 27, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #7,798 of 65,787
325i with taped bowls and LDMKIII are really hitting the spot right now. Getting some beautiful big bass and soundstage. I think swapping the driver tubes in the amp to some Mullard ef92s really helped. Good synergy between amp and headphones....very fun.

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #7,799 of 65,787
Quote:
325i with taped bowls and LDMKIII are really hitting the spot right now. Getting some beautiful big bass and soundstage. I think swapping the driver tubes in the amp to some Mullard ef92s really helped. Good synergy between amp and headphones....very fun.

Mullard M8100. Do it. 
gs1000.gif

NK

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #7,800 of 65,787
Quote:
Look forward to hearing about your impressions on the 80's with the (L) cushions.
Very surprised that you never tried them on the 80's though, I would have thought you would have had them on from the beginning, but now, knowing that you wear glasses, and being that the (S) cushion is smaller and softer than the (L) cushion, I can understand why you would use them. You may be very surprised with how the 80's sound with the (L) cushions, you may have a whole new prospective of the 80's, and I know you speak highly about the 80's even though you have headphones costing 10+ more times the amount. I think you will be very impressed.

I totally forgot to compare my flats with the L cush on my SR80i, but i just took them out and put them on my desk so that i remember to do it tomorrow, sorry joseph.

And you're right joseph, i do speak highly of the SR80i, in fact, in a certain way, i'm more impressed by my SR80i than i am with my PS1000, simply because it's one thing to built an expensive pair of headphones that sounds amazing, (to me at least), but it must be much more challenging to built an inexpensive pair of headphones that sounds very good. Also, i'm pretty sure that the percentage of people that like the SR80i is much higher than that of the PS1000, especially when you consider the quantity of SR80i that has been sold over the years.
Quote:

I hope you read this, because i think i know wich thread finally got the best of you,  For some reason, people seem to have a love, hate relationship when it comes to Grados.

The way i see it is that it's ok not to like Grados, but people should at least show some respect to those who do like them. Some comments are VERY harsh, and pretty much say that if you like them, you must be stupid, or at least that they're must be something wrong with your hearing.

We should never forget, that even though we all have different sound systems, different tastes in sound and music, and of course, different hearing acuity, in the end, we all have something in common, wich is the love of music reproduced through headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back