Grado Fan Club!
Jun 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #7,771 of 65,799
Jun 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #7,772 of 65,799
i've been listening to the 60's since they got here, and its amazing how close to the sound of the 60's(with bowls) comes to the 225
i've put the 225 up for sale, and was thinking of going to the 325 or ms2
anyone have any experience if this would be a worthwhile upgrade ?

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #7,773 of 65,799
Schiit owners, what do you think of your Schiit paring w/ your Grados? I have 225i and A-2. It's my only reference point. I think it sounds quite good, but that's all I know. I'd be interested to hear from people with a wider breadth of experience....people who own Grados and other cans and have paired w/ Schiit amps as well as tubes.

Why do I ask if I'm happy....well, I guess I want to know if I'm like a person who has only eaten hamburger and doesn't know what he's missing....... 

I saw a post on a different thread re: amps and Grados. The poster disliked the Asgard2 with his Grados....stating a tube amp has better synergy with the Grado line. The poster stated that his Grados and Asgard drove him to dislike his Grados and he went a different direction re: HP's.

That got me thinking......Call me curious...

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #7,775 of 65,799
Quote:
i've been listening to the 60's since they got here, and its amazing how close to the sound of the 60's(with bowls) comes to the 225
i've put the 225 up for sale, and was thinking of going to the 325 or ms2
anyone have any experience if this would be a worthwhile upgrade ?

I owned the MS2i, and they weren't for me, so I traded for the SR325is which I enjoy very much. I also own SR80i's with Vibrolabs (classic) wooden cups and (L) cushions, and I find them both to have very different sound signatures, even though they are both from the SR family. I listen to them equally, and they are both awesome in their own way, but I must say that if I had to live with one forever, for me, it would be a very hard decision to make! I find the 80i's to sound more (raw) and live, and the 325is's to be more warm and laid back. If you have a chance to demo the models you are interested I would strongly recommend listening to them first, because I really don't want to say this, but here goes, I may like my 80i's better, but I may need a different amp for my 325is's, which I am currently looking into.

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #7,776 of 65,799
Asgard were warm which were good for Grados but the mids were thin.  Which I found not good with Grados.  So for me Asgard was a mixed bag.
The Lyr was altogether bad with Grados. 

In my experience, best synergy for me was:  

Tubes: MAD EAR 
Solid State: Violectric V200

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #7,777 of 65,799
I like my 325i with my LDMKIII. With the right tubes i was able to get a deep full sound while retaining all the detail.

Also after a few people mentioned how much tge like the G-cush i thought I'd give them another try. If you increase the volume, as was suggested, they do sound pretty good. I can see me having a use for these pads after all. :)

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #7,778 of 65,799
What worked for me when I used G-cush were vintage receivers with tone controls.  I would reduce the treble and increase the midrange tone control.  It compensated well for the sucked out mids that G-cush created. Of course you could eq. but over all, it worked with some songs and it just didn't with others no matter how much you compensated.
But intially, the G-cush creates a huge soundstage that is addictive. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #7,779 of 65,799
Quote:
I owned the MS2i, and they weren't for me, so I traded for the SR325is which I enjoy very much. I also own SR80i's with Vibrolabs (classic) wooden cups and (L) cushions, and I find them both to have very different sound signatures, even though they are both from the SR family. I listen to them equally, and they are both awesome in their own way, but I must say that if I had to live with one forever, for me, it would be a very hard decision to make! I find the 80i's to sound more (raw) and live, and the 325is's to be more warm and laid back. If you have a chance to demo the models you are interested I would strongly recommend listening to them first, because I really don't want to say this, but here goes, I may like my 80i's better, but I may need a different amp for my 325is's, which I am currently looking into.

i had originally thought i'd go for the ms2, because when i had the ms1 the first time around, i almost liked it better than the 225, now, having gotten the 60 again, and having the 60, 225, and ms1 all here at the same time, i may actually prefer the 60 to the ms1, and of the three, i do prefer the 225 by far which got me thinking more of the 325 as the way to go.
i don't have anywhere close by to go and audition, i may see how far the closest dealer is, and drive, haven't done a road trip in a while, could be worthwhile.
otherwise, just buy from somewhere with a good return policy , and try both
i wonder if i should hear the 80 too ! i'll probably end up with all because i can't make up my mind ! they are all good

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #7,780 of 65,799
Quote:
 i had originally thought i'd go for the ms2, because when i had the ms1 the first time around, i almost liked it better than the 225, now, having gotten the 60 again, and having the 60, 225, and ms1 all here at the same time, i may actually prefer the 60 to the ms1, and of the three, i do prefer the 225 by far which got me thinking more of the 325 as the way to go.
i don't have anywhere close by to go and audition, i may see how far the closest dealer is, and drive, haven't done a road trip in a while, could be worthwhile.
otherwise, just buy from somewhere with a good return policy , and try both
i wonder if i should hear the 80 too ! i'll probably end up with all because i can't make up my mind ! they are all good

I know, they are all good, but to me they are all different, which makes it a very hard decision, so I know exactly what you mean. like I mentioned I listen to them equally because I like particular thing about each of them, plus like I said, I don't think my 325is's work as well with my Adcom GFP-710 as my 80i's do, so I will try a different amp for the 325is" in the very, very near future, I'm just not sure which amp I would like to try and In my experience amps make a very big difference with different headphones/speakers, some work well together and some don't. And don't get me wrong, my 325is's sound really good out of the Adcom, but they can definitely be more detailed and have tighter bass IMO, where as the 80i's with this combo work better. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #7,781 of 65,799
Quote:
Why is your SR325i black and not silver? 
blink.gif

The first run of 325 cups were black anodized aluminum. Grado then switched to the silver cups.
These pre-dated the RS1/2 and were John Grado's first attempt at a premium/professional headphone.
At the time he was trying to "replace" the HP1000 headphones which were no longer being made.

He basically increased the size of the outer cups (to match the HP1/2/3) and made them of metal instead of plastic and then selected the best possible drivers.
The 325 cost $300, which was only $95 less than the HP3 ($395) or half the cost of the HP1 ($595)
The drivers were either lower matching HP1000 or the pink transitional drivers.
When John developed the RS1/2 he made the RS2 cups the same size as the 325 ie. larger than the plastic SR but smaller than the RS1.
Seems he thinks size matters....

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #7,782 of 65,799
UPS just dropped off the ear zonk pads, a set of G's, and a set of L's. VERY much initial impressions:
the G's very comfortable, didn't sound good at all to me with the 225, very little bass, lost the "up front" feel
the ear zonk L's on the 225 sound much better , i could live with it i think, but the stock grado may the way to go,
haven't gotten around to trying the zonk L's on the 60 or ms1 yet , here's some pics:

the G's

the L's (grado left, zonks right)

L's grado left  zonks to the right

the ear zonks are a little harder to get on the cups

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #7,783 of 65,799
I totally agree about the (G) cushions, also they gave me the impression that all of the instruments had the same tone and there was no texture to them, and I personnaly didn't like the huge soundstage, and I thought the (L) cushions were just as comfortable.
Enjoy checking them out!!! 

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #7,784 of 65,799
jaywillin and the zonks the same foam as the OG Grado pads?

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #7,785 of 65,799
Quote:
jaywillin and the zonks the same foam as the OG Grado pads?

if its not the same, its very, very close, the shape, the cut of the form a slightly different, the stock L's  a hair thicker
i tried to show on the side by side shot ,
the zonk L's on the ms1 and the 60 seem to be fine sound wise, definitely better than s-cushes !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back