Grado Fan Club!
Jun 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #7,816 of 65,797
my little dot has the tube cages, and
it came with pairs of:
Siemens 6ak5
HP 6ak5
Zaerix EF91 (Getting a humming sound on these)
General Electric 408a
erricson 408a
and the guy threw in a (1) tung sol 408a , not sure what i'll do with it
i thought it was a pretty good deal for $100

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #7,817 of 65,797
Quote:
@stacker45 oh go on, I'm feeling masochistic, tell me which thread you are referring to

It's the ''Disapointed with Audeze LCD2'' thread, i'm use to people not liking Grados, but even i thought this went too far.

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #7,818 of 65,797
oh, and i had the m/m, i like this set up, and the little dot in particular, much better
not a knock on the schiit, loved the modi especially,
joseph, i don't think you'll regret the little dot at all !

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #7,819 of 65,797
Thank you all for your comments and reassurance. I went with a headphone amp because my 325is's don't sound as detailed as my 80i's amped with my Adcom GFP-710, I believe the headphone out is 10 watts on the Adcom, and with the 325's I seem to lose all the micro details, and have too much overall bass but not with the 80's. I know they are both 32ohm headphones, but the 80's produce less bass than the 325's, and being that the 325's have more bass I think the 10 watts is just too much for the 325' and I lose all the micro detail and highs that I hear with the 80's, so hopefully the 0.8 watts is a better match for the 325's. Once again I thank you all for you positive comments.

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #7,820 of 65,797
Quote:
my little dot has the tube cages, and
it came with pairs of:
Siemens 6ak5
HP 6ak5
Zaerix EF91 (Getting a humming sound on these)
General Electric 408a
erricson 408a
and the guy threw in a (1) tung sol 408a , not sure what i'll do with it
i thought it was a pretty good deal for $100

Its a really nice deal!! I paid 135$ (NIB), but it cost me 30.00$ shipping. I never realized this amp cost so little, for all the positive comment it receives, I always thought it was over 200$.

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #7,821 of 65,797
Well, i did it joseph,as promised, i have tryed the L-cush with my SR80i, and i have to agree that they take the SR80i to a whole other level, so much so in fact, that i'm thinking about selling my PS1000, just kidding of course, or am i.
wink.gif

The first thing i noticed was that i was hearing more details than with the comfies, also, i've foond the bass to be tighter, and the soundstage is bigger, so exept for comfort when i'm wearing my glasses, it's all good.

I don't understand why Grado even bothers with the S-cush, i mean, the difference is anything but subtle. I feel like an idiot knowing that i already had the L-cush, and never bothered to try them with my SR80i, oh well!, better late than never, i guess.

I have always said that i could be happy with my SR80i as my only pair of headphones, and now, with the L-cush, the compromise would be that much smaller.

Thanks joseph.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #7,822 of 65,797
Quote:
 I never realized this amp cost so little, for all the positive comment it receives, I always thought it was over 200$.

SAme here. I had seen people mention LD quite often before I ever bothered to look into it. I thought I was reading prices in some other currency or something, but sure enough they were USD prices.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #7,823 of 65,797
Glad to hear that you like the way they sound, and it is a night and day difference, and the detail and tight bass is awesome, thats why I'm curious to as why I'm not hearing this detail and tight bass from my 325's, so I'll see what happens with them when I receive the LD and hope I hear what I hear out of my 80's, only in a bigger scale. Glad you like it enjoy!!!

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #7,826 of 65,797
i'll be damned !!! i just lost an auction on ebay for a brand new pair of 325's, the winning bid was $197, my trigger finger must have been slow !
the search continues !

today in the LD1+ is the HP 6ak5

and i've sold the ms1, and the 60's, so there is a hard target search for the 325, or a ms2

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #7,827 of 65,797
Quote:
after a few hours of listening to music with the the little dot 1+, i'm very ,very happy i got it.
i've listened mostly with my 225, the ms1 a little. the sound of the little dot is noticeably better to my
ears than my g3. more air, less grain,more detail,  liquid. bass is more substantial.
i'm not sure, but it seems the LD makes a bigger improvement to the ms1 than the 225.
the fit and finish and build quality are superb for the price, i'm very impressed, and when i think
how much i paid for it off the FS forum here, just makes it that much better !
anyone want a g3 ?? lol
the reason i didn't go for the LD initially was i wanted more flexibilty, i looked at the asgard 2 also
it was a little more than i wanted to spend so i got the fiio e09k, which i love
i have its pre outs going to my a2's, and the line out feeds the little dot.
with this set up, i can listen to speakers, a solid state head amp, and a tube head amp
and not have to move a thing and, the price of the two together was less than the asgard 2.
all in all, very happy with the set up now, i may rethink about selling the 225, i still want the
325 or ms2, but, i may wait,hmmmmmmmm

Thanks Jay. I'm doing a lot of contemplating over the sound of my HP set up and stereo.

I may have to think about a LD in my future.

Currently, my A-2 are pleasing to my ears, but that's all I know. Maybe I'm like someone who has never had fillet mignon and raves about ground beef
happy_face1.gif

I find listening to my 225i powered by the  Asgard-2 to produces a crystal clear, neutral, lovely open sound. I'll often switch back and forth in a given song from my medium fi stereo speakers to my Grados-9 out 10 times, the sound is better with the Grados/Asgard-2.

I'll do the same thing listening to my lossless files listening from a Sonos connect (router-Sonos Connect-Asgard 2-Grados 225i vs Router-Sonos-Receiver-speakers).

Annoyingly, the 225i/A-2 generally wins over my Monitor Audio shelf speakers (which cost over 3 x's more than my 225's). So my question (to myself), is it the 225i over the Montitor shelf speakers or the A-2 over my onkyo receiver or a combination....who the heck knows!

However, it has made me want to investigate upgrading my entry level receiver to a nicer integrated amp to see if it will improve the sound of my speakers which are actually pretty nice, just not as good as the Grado/Asgard-2 combo currently gives me.

This isn't going to solve the problems of the world...... I don't know why I let this stuff drive me to distraction, but I do!

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #7,828 of 65,797
Mark: It's probably the room that is holding back the Monitors. I've always been a fan of Monitor Audio, so I have a pretty good idea of their quality. If I were you I'd use the money you were going to spend on a new integrated and put them toward some room treatments. I know that's not as exciting as getting new gear, but honestly, treating the room makes a huge difference...far more than new gear will make. I've always used GIK treatments, but there are lots of great options out there if you decide to go that route. 

Just my $.02 :)

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #7,829 of 65,797
i believe focker is probably  right about the sound of your speakers mark. when we place  loudspeakers, in a room for "normal" listening,
not only are we hearing the speaker, all the equipment, and cables, but the room , and most everything in it , effects the sound .
now that almost all of my listening is done with headphones, and nearfield listening with my audioengine a2's, i've taken the room out of most of the equation, though i'm sure the room plays a part with the a2's.
as for getting distracted, i bet most of us here can get that way from time to time, i know i can.
i just remind myself, this is fun, relaxation, we aren't here to solve the worlds ills! it aint rocket science ! lol
its good if i like it !

my $.02 as well, now there's 4 cents on the table !

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #7,830 of 65,797
Quote:
Mark: It's probably the room that is holding back the Monitors. I've always been a fan of Monitor Audio, so I have a pretty good idea of their quality. If I were you I'd use the money you were going to spend on a new integrated and put them toward some room treatments. I know that's not as exciting as getting new gear, but honestly, treating the room makes a huge difference...far more than new gear will make. I've always used GIK treatments, but there are lots of great options out there if you decide to go that route. 

Just my $.02 :)

I'm open to suggestions
confused_face(1).gif
 (me being distracted)

My set up is all in a small spare bedroom/office. I've got a budgetish Onkyo receiver and Montior BR-1 shelf speakers. Now, they are a clear upgrade from my ancient circa 1990 Pioneer box system speakers and sound much better.

But, they don't sound as big and full as they did in the showroom (kind of an upscale home theater/sound system place), or quite as good as my Grado/Asgard-2.  I'm wondering now how much was the acoustics vs the amplification in the store? Since my Grados sound great with the HP amp, I was thinking it might be the quality of amplification that's missing from my speaker system.

I had been thinking of either getting an integrated amp or an upgraded DAC for my Sonos system or both in one. Sonos has its own DAC, it doesn't flat out stink...but it's not great ether. Peachtree makes some nice looking DAC/amp combos-which would out price my speakers by a few hundred and be the most expensive component I would have....I would go for it if I thought it would make a noticeable difference. PT also has an external DAC (Dac-It) comparable in price to the upgraded Bifrost w/ USB, coax, etc. that has been well reviewed I've been considering...but that's a different thread
tongue_smile.gif

I'll look into GIK treatments. Certainly, I've heard of room treatments, but haven't given it too much thought.

Thanks gents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back