Grado Fan Club!
Jun 29, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #7,831 of 65,799
Well, i did it joseph,as promised, i have tryed the L-cush with my SR80i, and i have to agree that they take the SR80i to a whole other level, so much so in fact, that i'm thinking about selling my PS1000, just kidding of course, or am i.
wink.gif

The first thing i noticed was that i was hearing more details than with the comfies, also, i've foond the bass to be tighter, and the soundstage is bigger, so exept for comfort when i'm wearing my glasses, it's all good.

I don't understand why Grado even bothers with the S-cush, i mean, the difference is anything but subtle. I feel like an idiot knowing that i already had the L-cush, and never bothered to try them with my SR80i, oh well!, better late than never, i guess.

I have always said that i could be happy with my SR80i as my only pair of headphones, and now, with the L-cush, the compromise would be that much smaller.

Thanks joseph.
I love my sr80 so much that probably any amp you used to it is simply amazing. Partnering it with my fiio e7 or my DIY, they produce detail on any kind of music. Even With or without amp they are one of the headphones to adore to. Bringing it with me every time I go or just simply on a stroll, wow they sound so good to your ear. Nothing beats this HP in my opinion especially for its price to sound quality. I would love to have that L Cush but I think it's not available here in our country. Probably buy it in eBay and maybe might put my sr80 to the next level.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #7,833 of 65,799
Very nice Rudi.

I am looking to add the PS500 to my RS1i and SR60i

Also going to get a Little dot 1+ when the funds allow for it.

Great collection, man.

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #7,834 of 65,799
Repairing your cable is easy. Want me to help you?

Thank you for the offer, but i can handle the soldering iron quite well :wink:
it's just that i need to find a new cable, and that might be a bit hard...

Right now enjoying some Jean Michelle Jarre on my SR80i's, and repairing the koss has moved way down on my "to-do" list. :)

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #7,835 of 65,799
I could probably make u one. Just for cost of parts/shipping I'll have to dig out a portapro to see how they come apart... Its been awhile since I've used them

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #7,836 of 65,799
Beautiful collection Rudi!

Jun 30, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #7,837 of 65,799
My setup is coming together!

Fidelia on MacBook Air
Meridian Explorer
Little Dot mkII (with Voskhod drivers and Novosibirsk power tubes)
Grado SR80i (Grill replaced with popfilter cloth, 4 holes vented, L-cush, cloth in front removed, some blue tac behind the driver)

Sound is otherwise really nice and well balanced but I'm craving some more low end punch to the sound. It seems that the low end is starting to roll off bit too quickly. I tried to use tape with the L-cushions and it helped a bit, but I still would like to have more punch on the low end. S-pads also helps but they seem to dull the high's and limit the soundstage a bit. (I really like the mids and the highs on my setup!)

Would it help to upgrade to SR325i or even the RS2i? I might have the budget to do so and leave my modded SR80i's as portable headphones.

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #7,838 of 65,799
Beautiful collection Rudi!

Very nice Rudi.

I am looking to add the PS500 to my RS1i and SR60i

Also going to get a Little dot 1+ when the funds allow for it.

Great collection, man.

Hi all

Thank you
I like Alessandro Grado ms pro better than ps 500 , that's why I bought ms pro IMO

Grado sound signature is unique , I have so many headphone , still miss the SQ from Grado :D

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #7,839 of 65,799
My setup is coming together!

Fidelia on MacBook Air
Meridian Explorer
Little Dot mkII (with Voskhod drivers and Novosibirsk power tubes)
Grado SR80i (Grill replaced with popfilter cloth, 4 holes vented, L-cush, cloth in front removed, some blue tac behind the driver)

Sound is otherwise really nice and well balanced but I'm craving some more low end punch to the sound. It seems that the low end is starting to roll off bit too quickly. I tried to use tape with the L-cushions and it helped a bit, but I still would like to have more punch on the low end. S-pads also helps but they seem to dull the high's and limit the soundstage a bit. (I really like the mids and the highs on my setup!)

Would it help to upgrade to SR325i or even the RS2i? I might have the budget to do so and leave my modded SR80i's as portable headphones.

Taped bowl 325 has more low end punch than a taped bowl 80 for sure. But before you go there, have you considered the TTVJ flats? My understanding is that they do help bring out the lows without losing much of the detail. You can also try the quarter mod on the comfies. Both options are much cheaper than upgrading to a new headphone.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #7,840 of 65,799
Quote:
Taped bowl 325 has more low end punch than a taped bowl 80 for sure. But before you go there, have you considered the TTVJ flats? My understanding is that they do help bring out the lows without losing much of the detail. You can also try the quarter mod on the comfies. Both options are much cheaper than upgrading to a new headphone.

Thaks for the input!

I did try those comfies (called s-pads by the natives here) with quarter size hole, mini holes all over them and with full driver size hole. None of them sounded "right" for me. The sound was a bit too much inside my head with no to little soundstage. L-pads gives you more room and air to the sound (which I like!). It could be the result of drivers having a bit more distance to ears. While the bass is a bit better with comfies it still isn't what I'm looking for. So that's why I'm considering new HP's. (If 325i's or RS2i brings more soundstage to the table it will be a positive result as well!)

I would imagine TTVJ Flats would be somewhat in the same ballpark with driver-size-hole comfies? (Haven't tried since they are bit hard to come by around my neighborhood and postage pretty much kills online ordering.)

I think I have to go to local hifistore with my setup to audition new Grado's for me!
gs1000.gif
(It won't be a cheap trip!)

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #7,841 of 65,799
I might as well check in here too! I was lucky enough to come across some RS1i's for £375, they look brand-new, not even a hair in the cups and by lordy do they sound amazing! I'm currently running them off a Fiio E10 however I'm looking to upgrade to a new amp that's capable of driving these a little better. I enjoy crystal clarity in my music as I have synesthesia (I see sound), so any thoughts on a purely USB amp?

I'll have some photo's up of my cans as soon as I can get my hands on a decent quality camera, but for the time being, I'm going to continue eargasming. 

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #7,842 of 65,799
Quote:
I might as well check in here too! I was lucky enough to come across some RS1i's for £375, they look brand-new, not even a hair in the cups and by lordy do they sound amazing! I'm currently running them off a Fiio E10 however I'm looking to upgrade to a new amp that's capable of driving these a little better. I enjoy crystal clarity in my music as I have synesthesia (I see sound), so any thoughts on a purely USB amp?

I'll have some photo's up of my cans as soon as I can get my hands on a decent quality camera, but for the time being, I'm going to continue eargasming. 

Gratz......you got a great deal!  Enjoy.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #7,843 of 65,799
Did anyone else "watch" the Ebay (USA) auction for a pair of GS1000s (Not i) without pads last week?!

They sold for under $500... Granted they had a "driver rattle," but I think it was just a loose driver... Could be a glue-only repair... 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251293688433?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Interesting.. 

NK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back