or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread! - Page 243

post #3631 of 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

Yeap, modded it's a thing of Beuaty ALSO!!!!!!!!

 

I found that I really like the D2k for Metal out of my NF10ES2 :D, I find the HM801 is too slow as a Dac unit for Metal when used with the D2k, but the speed of the NFB10ES2 is great for metal with the D2k! I was suprised honestly

 

On the positive though, the sluggish HM801 pairs nice with the almost sterile sound of my W1000x [which is still out being modded] Non the less, I'm finding the D2k to really be a very nice everything headpone

 

I'm still anxious to get my W1000x and HE 4 back


Glad it all worked out for you bud.  Was touch and go for a while with Jimmy but sounds like you love the end product. 

post #3632 of 4946
it was worth the weight... but I dont 100% remeber how the D2k compares to my he 4 or w1000x

im fairly 100% sure the He 4 has it beat in metal on the Nfb10es2 Ill b doing a battle between my two wood backs when i get them both in my hands... Still for edm the D2k is always the victor
post #3633 of 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

it was worth the weight... but I dont 100% remeber how the D2k compares to my he 4 or w1000x

im fairly 100% sure the He 4 has it beat in metal on the Nfb10es2 Ill b doing a battle between my two wood backs when i get them both in my hands... Still for edm the D2k is always the victor


I just got a pair of pads off Ebay that are so similar to Lawton Angles that it's hard to tell them apart.  Have the same firmness I like and fit like a glove.  Took off my Alpha pads to try these out on my D2000 and will not be putting back on the Alpha pads.  Somehow they just don't sound as good.  What pads are on your D2K? 

post #3634 of 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


I just got a pair of pads off Ebay that are so similar to Lawton Angles that it's hard to tell them apart.  Have the same firmness I like and fit like a glove.  Took off my Alpha pads to try these out on my D2000 and will not be putting back on the Alpha pads.  Somehow they just don't sound as good.  What pads are on your D2K? 

I have Lawton angle pads on my D 2000
post #3635 of 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post


I have Lawton angle pads on my D 2000

 

If you press on the Alpha Pads regularly, they eventually lose a little thickness. They are a little too thick factory condition, making drivers sit a tad too far from the ears.

When they flatten a bit, they become closer to the ideal. Still a vast improvement in both sound and comfort over stock, to my ears at least. My stock pads had very very little depth, the exact opposite problem!

I just got a silver dragon cable LOD from Moon Audio, and I'm seriously surprised with the extra detail it extracts. I can't stop falling in love with the Denon! :dt880smile: 


Edited by TWerk - 5/5/14 at 8:53pm
post #3636 of 4946

A few shots of my Martin Audio modded D5000 (these were taken from Martin's website), will post more in a couple of days. These have extra deep Coco Rosewood cups & new headband with extra padding. What can I say, Martin is an Artist. :

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #3637 of 4946

Damn, those cups are sexy. The headband too. Very very nice indeed!

post #3638 of 4946

Where can I get THAT headband? i need a replacement for my D5000

post #3639 of 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoo View Post
 

Where can I get THAT headband? i need a replacement for my D5000


Unfortunately I think it was made by Martin Lantinen while he had the headphones there for the cup fitting.  Reason I suspect this is I've seen his work on headbands before and this is representative of it.  Good stuff..............

post #3640 of 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 


Unfortunately I think it was made by Martin Lantinen while he had the headphones there for the cup fitting.  Reason I suspect this is I've seen his work on headbands before and this is representative of it.  Good stuff..............

Very nice! I though kinda like the standard size cups and black head band, black an brown are nice colors.

 

My he 4 has the same color scheme though, as does my w1000x all Black head bands and brown cup houseings! ^^ oh but yay internet it back on :D 

post #3641 of 4946

I was playing around with my Alpha Pads today. After about hour of totally OCDing it (the only time I'll miss meals is for audio stuff!), I think they are "just right". I'm very sensitive to the left/right balance in headphones, essentially both drivers need to be positioned in the proper spot for each ear. You do that by rotating the pads.

 

The angle that the pads sit at changes how it seals around the ear. I was getting too bright a sound because the pads were not angled ideally around my ears. Once I got the right side angled just perfect, (I felt and heard it was good), I worked on the left side, which isn't perfectly symmetric to the angle on the right side. I think my head might be lopsided or something because both sides are a little different for the right seal around each ear.

 

Let me just say this, bass is better, brightness is better, sound just pops now, it's wonderful! For me now, the headband sits better on my head. It takes more of the weight off the cups, which might be a helpful sign that you've done it correctly. I highly recommend anyone with Alpha Pads (or any denon pads!) play around with rotating the pads. It worth getting "just right". You will hear and feel when it's right, and be very happy. :atsmile: 


Edited by TWerk - 5/6/14 at 4:05pm
post #3642 of 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

I was playing around with my Alpha Pads today. After about hour of totally OCDing it (the only time I'll miss meals is for audio stuff!), I think they are "just right". I'm very sensitive to the left/right balance in headphones, essentially both drivers need to be positioned in the proper spot for each ear. You do that by rotating the pads.

 

The angle that the pads sit at changes how it seals around the ear. I was getting too bright a sound because the pads were not angled ideally around my ears. Once I got the right side angled just perfect, (I felt and heard it was good), I worked on the left side, which isn't perfectly symmetric to the angle on the right side. I think my head might be lopsided or something because both sides are a little different for the right seal around each ear.

 

Let me just say this, bass is better, brightness is better, sound just pops now, it's wonderful! For me now, the headband sits better on my head. It takes more of the weight off the cups, which might be a helpful sign that you've done it correctly. I highly recommend anyone with Alpha Pads (or any denon pads!) play around with rotating the pads. It worth getting "just right". You will hear and feel when it's right, and be very happy. :atsmile: 

eww another reason I'll stick with the LawTon pads. works 100% of the time lol without any additional... mods or what not! 

post #3643 of 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

eww another reason I'll stick with the LawTon pads. works 100% of the time lol without any additional... mods or what not! 

 

Well, that's a good reason to go for the Lawton pads!

 

I gotta say though, alpha pads are very comfy, and sound fantastic when you get them angled well.

 

How do you know how to put on the LA pads? I assume they are different thickness in different places like my alphas, so it would seem the same procedure would need to be done.


Edited by TWerk - 5/6/14 at 4:27pm
post #3644 of 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

 

Well, that's a good reason to go for the Lawton pads!

 

I gotta say though, alpha pads are very comfy, and sound fantastic when you get it angled right.

 

How do you know how to put on the LA pads? I assume they are different thickness in different places, so it would seem the same procedure would need to be done.

Meh I was lazy and had Lawton Audio do it for me :/

 

Oh I've found I really like these headphones for Metal out of my NFB 10ES2, which is... cool since the ES2 is a VERY dry and sterile amp [it kills my w1000x] but I find it nice that I enjoy Metal more with the D2k and the NFB10ES2, than I do with the HM801 and Pb2 combo, the Portable set up is imo too slow for metal. It's still enjoyable but not on the same level. 

 

Although TBH the portable set up is gear more towards my w1000x, she's such a sterile headphone everything sounds lighting fast out of it :/, the NFB10ES2 sounds horribly thin with the W1000x, still again the D2k is my EDM headphone, and I've got about 16 out of 40 gbs of EDM that I listen to on my portable, which doesn't include the like 8gbs of Nu Jazz that I have, the W1000x and D2k are pretty evenly matched on Nu Jazz sadly... but when I get my W1000x back, and it's able to FINALLY use the balanced amps I own I'll have a better comparision, but still :3 the D2k sounds pretty sweet! I was suprised how much I like it for metal! I've been listening to Metallicas Ride the LIghting and Master of Puppets for like 3 hours now xD 

 

and tbh I'm not sure the HE 4 can match the D2ks bass [non eq'd atm] so we shall see how it compares... but there's a big chance the HE 4 will have the nice bass that the D2k has for metal so :/ don't keep ur hopes up! Either way, again one HE 400 and $350 later and I'm happy with my purchase! 

 

But... the D2k does remind me of the DT 880s metal presentation! I'm still suprised how much the D2k sounds like the DT 880 with Metal... but how different it is for anything bass heavy! I'd definatly recommend a fully modded D2k for any one looking for a closed verison of the DT 880, 

 

in particular I'm really diggin how nicely the D2k presents Cliff Bass Lines, I grew up listening to these two albums on like everything from crappy Stero's to even more lousy  head phones, and the D2k really does Cliffs bass notes some justice! 


Edited by Mshenay - 5/6/14 at 4:33pm
post #3645 of 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

 

Well, that's a good reason to go for the Lawton pads!

 

I gotta say though, alpha pads are very comfy, and sound fantastic when you get them angled well.

 

How do you know how to put on the LA pads? I assume they are different thickness in different places like my alphas, so it would seem the same procedure would need to be done.


They install the same way Alpha's do...................and the stock pads.  Very simple once you figure out how to get the white mounting ring off. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!