Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Apr 4, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #3,601 of 5,248

Since one is open and one mostly closed, you have such a different application.  I'd try to add the HD650 instead of replacing the Denon, and yes, I realize that is not always practical but it is such an addictive sound. 

I have not heard the HD650 but did have a few days with the HD700, which I LOVED.  But I'd still not trade. 

Yeah, I also want to keep as many as possible. Currently I have the Mad Dog 3.2 and D2000 for home usage, and at the moment I prefer D2000 has fantastic bass, soundstage, and comfort compare to Mad Dog. For mid and high I prefer the Mad Dog which for me just nice and hit the spot.

Looking the Cocobolo Rosewood Cups from Martin made me want to get one .. It is really beautiful!

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #3,603 of 5,248
I put on my diy recabled D2K tonight for some classical music. I am surprised by how the treble has been improved from the stock cable as I could remember. Treble is silky smooth and sparkling. The recabling really did the work for the treble.

Of course, the D2K's bass and sub bass are awesome as well as its sound stage.

These cans are keepers.

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #3,604 of 5,248
  I put on my diy recabled D2K tonight for some classical music. I am surprised by how the treble has been improved from the stock cable as I could remember. Treble is silky smooth and sparkling. The recabling really did the work for the treble.

Of course, the D2K's bass and sub bass are awesome as well as its sound stage.

These cans are keepers.

Very cool! That's my number one complaint on the D2000, treble. Just a little more smoothness would make them perfect. Sounds like that's exactly what you got from the recable. Nice!

I got some Alpha pads for my D2000, and wow! Fantastic, and so comfortable, like a velvety soft pillow on my head. I love them. Soundstage gets even bigger!

It never ceases to impress me what a huge difference pads make to headphones. For the D2000 (and I'm sure the other Denon's) Alpha pads are the way to go!

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #3,605 of 5,248
Very cool! That's my number one complaint on the D2000, treble. Just a little more smoothness would make them perfect. Sounds like that's exactly what you got from the recable. Nice!

I got some Alpha pads for my D2000, and wow! Fantastic, and so comfortable, like a velvety soft pillow on my head. I love them.

It never ceases to impress me what a huge difference pads make to headphones. For the D2000 (and I'm sure the other Denon's) Alpha pads are the way to go!

It's funny, I love the Alphas on my D2000 but didn't on my D7000 or on the TH900.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #3,607 of 5,248

I got some Alpha pads for my D2000, and wow! Fantastic, and so comfortable, like a velvety soft pillow on my head. I love them.

Agree. With the stock cable the treble was the reason I didn't use the cans since I mostly listen to classical music which is treble hungry. With the inspirations from fellow DIY head-fi'ers, I decided to recable my D2K. Instantly after the recabling I noticed the treble improvement. The treble now sounds even better.

Yes the Alpha pads are very good on these D2K's.

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #3,609 of 5,248
It's crazy how you can forget what a headphone sounds like after not listening to it for a while. I'm really enjoying some dubstep on my D2k right now. I had a pretty long break from these headphones after getting my 600 ohm DT770, and forgot how well they played this genre. Oh bass..

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #3,610 of 5,248

The HD650, when properly amped, has one of the most forgiving, plush signatures I have yet to hear.  The 650 has given me more chill inducing moments then any other HP I own. It does not have the bass response of the D*k series,  but it does have textured, layered bass that that with the right amp, extends quite more then I expected before I bought them a few years ago.  The veiled sound is a myth that was conceived by those who have not heard them with a vintage receiver, or a good tube, tube/hybrid, or even a good SS amp.  As taken as I am by the HD800 as of late, I still throw on the 650s and grin from ear to ear. The D2/7K still has a place in my collection, but the 650's midrange and vocal reproduction is special. 

That being said, they would be fantastic complimentary cans to each other.

It's crazy how you can forget what a headphone sounds like after not listening to it for a while. I'm really enjoying some dubstep on my D2k right now. I had a pretty long break from these headphones after getting my 600 ohm DT770, and forgot how well they played this genre. Oh bass..

I Agree, I was listening to some Fish Finger the other night [I had my Audio GD 10ES2 on low gain, volume up to 40 which is twice my normal listening level]

and while I generally like quiter music and volumes.... it's EDM so fvuck it all and crank IT UP

non teh less it was wonderful, Fish Fingers compliation album with Sparc is great, most of the bass tracks "growl" a nice deep super quick sub layered under a lower mid... the D2k did a nice job keeping all the speed and punch :3, the HE 4 does a smidge better, but as I've mentioned before, I can't use hte HE 4 outside my house, hence is why I own the D2k :3

and atm the D2k is my only headphone, as my HE 4 and W1000x are getting modular cable earings, and I'm having a rather nice custom cable build :D

still though it does nicely as an everything headphone honestly! It lacks the OMG WOW factor the w1000x has, but it's not lacking in any way, nor has any glaring faults. THe Sub Bass is ofc the D2ks WOW factor, which is why I've been mostly listening to EDM these last few days [which is fine with me :3] 

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #3,611 of 5,248

I Agree, I was listening to some Fish Finger the other night [I had my Audio GD 10ES2 on low gain, volume up to 40 which is twice my normal listening level]

and while I generally like quiter music and volumes.... it's EDM so fvuck it all and crank IT UP

non teh less it was wonderful, Fish Fingers compliation album with Sparc is great, most of the bass tracks "growl" a nice deep super quick sub layered under a lower mid... the D2k did a nice job keeping all the speed and punch :3, the HE 4 does a smidge better, but as I've mentioned before, I can't use hte HE 4 outside my house, hence is why I own the D2k :3

and atm the D2k is my only headphone, as my HE 4 and W1000x are getting modular cable earings, and I'm having a rather nice custom cable build :D

still though it does nicely as an everything headphone honestly! It lacks the OMG WOW factor the w1000x has, but it's not lacking in any way, nor has any glaring faults. THe Sub Bass is ofc the D2ks WOW factor, which is why I've been mostly listening to EDM these last few days [which is fine with me :3] 

I couldn't agree more on this. Playing around last weekend by changing the cup back to the D2000 original cup and compare with my dampened D5000 cup.. it is quite significant. Now I'm thinking on keeping it.. But after see this post, would you say w1000x is a nice upgrade from D2000 ?

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #3,613 of 5,248
  Guys listen to crush on you by Nero on your D2000/D5000. Damn, that track sounds so fun with the Denon Sub-bass.

I really like Reaching Out by Nero. Crush on you is good as well. Nero is just good in general. I saw them live in Detroit 2 years ago with Excision, it was awesome.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #3,614 of 5,248
  I really like Reaching Out by Nero. Crush on you is good as well. Nero is just good in general. I saw them live in Detroit 2 years ago with Excision, it was awesome.

Yes, reaching out is great too! My favorite song of his is "Act like you know, Dubstep mix" 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back